Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Mirage 5MT 180 miles

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,684 Times in 2,103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    I sound like a broken record on this piece of advice eh, but I would get your car undercoated with Krown rust Control, or something equivalent.

My 6+ year old Mirage looks brand new. Krown saved my Mirage from the effects of Ontario winter road salt etc. Worth the money every year. Only problem is that it stinks.

Cheers!
    Krown doesn't exist in Wisconsin. We probably have something else?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (04-17-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageRally View Post
    l'll have a honda civic as a winter car, but do you think it's still worth it to undercoat the Mirage?
    Then maybe not. The people at Krown rust control garage or store say every season can rust a car. And their product saves the electrical on the car also.

They also want to sell a product and make their business money. The stuff worked on my car, but if you have a winter car, and are 100% parking your Mirage come winter, maybe not worth the cost of strong undercoat. Might be called Zeibar (???) in the USA, Mark.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (04-17-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,684 Times in 2,103 Posts
    Then maybe not. The people at Krown rust control garage or store say every season can rust a car. And their product saves the electrical on the car also.

They also want to sell a product and make their business money. The stuff worked on my car, but if you have a winter car, and are 100% parking your Mirage come winter, maybe not worth the cost of strong undercoat. Might be called Zeibar (???) in the USA, Mark.
    I don't think Ziebart & Krown are the same thing. Ziebart is an undercoating company. I would never pay for that. Cars are already undercoated from the factory. Undercoating the undercoating makes little sense to me.

Is undercoating a new car worth it?

"Cars today are manufactured with corrosion protection, which makes this added treatment unnecessary, though it is profitable for car dealerships. Consumer Reports recommends that car buyers skip the undercoating and several other pricey add-ons, including VIN etching, fabric protection, and extended warranties." Aug 12, 2018

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (04-17-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I don't think Ziebart & Krown are the same thing. Ziebart is an undercoating company. I would never pay for that. Cars are already undercoated from the factory. Undercoating the undercoating makes little sense to me.
    Sorry MirageRally to go on about this...but I did a bit more research. There is Krown in the USA. Looked it up from the Krown website. A dozen locations in Michigan, and then a few other places, in a dozen other states.

For example, Rochester Hills Michigan has Krown, as well as Monroe Michigan.. So, there you go.

Mark: Krown kind of works different from factory undercoat, or even some of the wax etc. undercoats I've heard. You're right, I think that many, or all undercoats are bogus. Or redundant and unnecessary.

Thing is, Krown really saves the whole car from destruction. I just wonder if 1 application is good forever, but they want yearly returns. They drill into the doors etc. to spray their oil stuff.

https://www.krown.com/en/locations/u.../monroe/munroe

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (04-17-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Sorry MirageRally to go on about this...but I did a bit more research. There is Krown in the USA. Looked it up from the Krown website. A dozen locations in Michigan, and then a few other places, in a dozen other states.

For example, Rochester Hills Michigan has Krown, as well as Monroe Michigan.. So, there you go.

Mark: Krown kind of works different from factory undercoat, or even some of the wax etc. undercoats I've heard. You're right, I think that many, or all undercoats are bogus. Or redundant and unnecessary.

Thing is, Krown really saves the whole car from destruction. I just wonder if 1 application is good forever, but they want yearly returns. They drill into the doors etc. to spray their oil stuff.

https://www.krown.com/en/locations/u.../monroe/munroe
    l'll contact them and get pricing...better to be safe than sorry...my saturn had no rust on it in the beginning and after 7 years was almost worth nothing because of the rust.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MirageRally For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (04-17-2020)

"Cars today are manufactured with corrosion protection, which makes this added treatment unnecessary, though it is profitable for car dealerships. Consumer Reports recommends that car buyers skip the undercoating and several other pricey add-ons, including VIN etching,
    I agree! I do some work on a 2015 Silverado that was bought used a couple years ago. The dealer "undercoated it", I didn't ask if it was done before or after they sold it. But whoever did it didn't even wash the truck first and literally sprayed under coat over mud. It was clearly an old oilfield truck and everything between the frame rails was caked in mud. I don't think I'd even want it done on a new truck.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    l'll contact them and get pricing...better to be safe than sorry...my saturn had no rust on it in the beginning and after 7 years was almost worth nothing because of the rust.
    Right on. I started another thread here on the Forum regarding Krown rust control. Definitely worth looking into your options, depending on your needs. Does smell a bit, drip, and smoke the first few applications, so not everyone's cup of tea. But does do the trick. Your car smells a bit like an old Lionel train set in my opinion.

I guess it depends on where you live....If you live in the rust belt then I wouldn't hesitate. If you live in texas why bother. I think you're just assuming Mark and MirageRally are neighbors lol.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (04-18-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

"Cars today are manufactured with corrosion protection, which makes this added treatment unnecessary, though it is profitable for car dealerships. Consumer Reports recommends that car buyers skip the undercoating and several other pricey add-ons, including VIN etching, fabric protection, and extended warranties." Aug 12, 2018
    There's also Line X Bedliner coating where they coat the whole car in bedliner...but it's like $8,000 total...yikes...they say that it save years on the car but l though "what if you get in an accident? Do they remove the bedliner and put it back on"? Not sure but l know a 2003 subaru wrx has it and it looks great.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    l'll contact them and get pricing
    Pretty sure there's a Krown shop up in Painesville. At least last time I checked.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)