Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Fear of an Impending Car-Price Collapse Grips Auto Industry

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Subcompact Culture View Post
    ...where are the deals for people who aren't going to finance? I haven't seen those yet.
    I think these low financing rates are just to get some bodies into cars immediately so sales don't completely dry up. The economy just hit a tree at 70mph. It's going to take a long time to recover and this mess is just getting started, unfortunately.

In other words...more significant incentives are only a matter of time.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 2,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    I think this level of desperation amongst manufacturers and used car lots will do major discounts for cash buyers. I was screwing around calling used lots arguing to take 20% off their MSRPs. 2 out of 11 used dealers took the bait and told me to come in. All the Hondas & Toyotas I called about, no ball though. The 2 that hit were a 2017 Mirage and a 2014 Hyundai Accent. Who knows if they truly would of done it? The other 9 dealerships just laughed at me.
    You may be right about that. The present economy changes things. They aren't making extra money on 0% financing offers for new cars, but those who really need that 0% financing don't always qualify either.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 2,122 Posts
    In all honesty - If getting a great deal on a car is your biggest concern in life right now, you should feel extremely blessed! I'm speaking to everyone, including myself! Not pointing fingers. Our very rural county had it's first virus death yesterday. A man 10 years younger than myself.

I agree with Top Fuel. The economy is not going to bounce back in an instant on this one.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Subcompact Culture (04-17-2020)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    You may be right about that. The present economy changes things. They aren't making extra money on 0% financing offers for new cars, but those who really need that 0% financing don't always qualify either.
    Im sure they'll be lowering their credit standards too, especially Ford, GM, Chrysler.

testing the private sales vs. closed dealers theory

I was also thinking of putting my Mirage on the market, too. But that is a very interesting theory.
    I'm putting my theory to test: I did a photo shoot and advertised my Mirage yesterday on multiple sites. (It'll never be as clean again as it is right now!!)

I have zero actual need to sell it, so it's no big deal if the theory is wrong.

One potential flaw in the test: everything is of course still price-sensitive. And my asking price is near the high end of the range based on other ads I've been seeing lately. We'll see what happens.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Senior Member Subcompact Culture's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Will be interesting.

We were discussing selling our Mirage last night. I'm not 100% sure we're going to do it yet or not. We simply don't need five cars, two of which being small commuters (my wife works from home 100% of the time; I've been working from home for over a month). Our '07 Yaris is probably worth less than $4,000 USD, but the Mirage is more like $8,000. Still not sure yet.

We are, however, 100% sure we're going to sell our van. We haven't listed it yet, however. Mirage owners: This means you get first dibs!

Name:  20190907_104824_HDR.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  100.8 KB

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Subcompact Culture For This Useful Post:

2of9 (04-20-2020),Fummins (04-20-2020),inuvik (04-20-2020),MetroMPG (04-23-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Will be interesting.

We were discussing selling our Mirage last night. I'm not 100% sure we're going to do it yet or not. We simply don't need five cars, two of which being small commuters (my wife works from home 100% of the time; I've been working from home for over a month). Our '07 Yaris is probably worth less than $4,000 USD, but the Mirage is more like $8,000. Still not sure yet.

We are, however, 100% sure we're going to sell our van. We haven't listed it yet, however. Mirage owners: This means you get first dibs!

Name:  20190907_104824_HDR.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  100.8 KB
    That is a sweet toaster I'm not kidding. And nice scenery

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Is that Delica? Post interior pics please.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Oh man that van thingy is cool.
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Dodge Aries K For This Useful Post:

Subcompact Culture (04-23-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Delica!! There are for some reason *two* of these in my neighbourhood, much newer version, but yeah, Right hand drive Delicas imported in from somewhere...(Japan?).

I'll have to grab some pics and post them here when I have a chance.

One is a white "CHAMONIX SPACE GEAR FOR ALL OUTDOOR PLAYERS" - lol Japan

Person who owns it is a surfer, so that makes sense for surf boards.

Last edited by javensbukan; 04-23-2020 at 11:27 AM.