Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: First impressions: Mirage LS CVT (New Zealand)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by EtotheZ View Post
    The car definitely has Mucho Terrible body roll.. the rear springs are too damn soft! definitely Not a sports car, if you really want spirited driving, then its a must to replace the springs with stiffer ones
    Funny as I managed to overtake other cars very easily on corners on my Mirage! Just ignore the body roll

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

bearhugman
    Country
    New Zealand
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kalifornia View Post
    after alittle more driving can you elaborate on this, mainly is this noticeble only on the open roads where speed is increased or even on the city streets? thanks
    Definitely more noticeable at open road speeds.

One thing that I haven't really noticed is the lack of self centering that others have reported.

And because I generally let the CVT potter in the lowest rev range, (for best economy) I am still suprised by the burst of speed that this little engine can deliver quickly. Even though in New Zealand its the auto or nothing. I love the cvt. And the 10 year drive train warranty takes care of any reliability issues that had worried me.

bearhugman
    Country
    New Zealand
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by m4v3r1ck View Post
    Funny as I managed to overtake other cars very easily on corners on my Mirage! Just ignore the body roll
    Its really not the body roll that's the issue its the ultimate lack of grip. And inability to hold a line confidently!

Country
    New Zealand
    Thanks
    Hi Bearhugman,
    Good to have another Kiwi on this forum. I've just ticked over 15000km now with no problems - first service a couple of days ago.
    As I have the GLS model this has the larger wheels and tyres and although the body roll is pronounced the lack of grip hasn't been an issue so far. However like you my driving is more for economy and smoothness and is mainly on the open highways.[ My other car is a Mazda MX5 that has 205000km on the clock and is now driven only for pleasure]

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage GLS 1.2 automatic: 46.8 mpg (US) ... 19.9 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    In my opinion that comes because of the electrical power steering, when no input is given it won't respond.
    If you're stopped in a parking lot with the wheels turned, no hands on the steering wheel and give it some gas. will the car turn in a circle or with increased speed will it straighten itself out?

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kalifornia View Post
    If you're stopped in a parking lot with the wheels turned, no hands on the steering wheel and give it some gas. will the car turn in a circle or with increased speed will it straighten itself out?
    Haven't tried yet. What I do have tried is when I drive on the highway and the road bends a little bit, i only need to steer the wheel a bit to the bend and let my hand off the steering wheel. The car will keep going at the few degree bend until i straighten it again when the degree of the bend of the road changes or goes straight again since the car keep driving on a bend.

But after a corner when I lift off my hand the car corrects itself and tries to go to a straight line although not fully corrected and not quick enough unlike my Galant. So indeed it needs a bit of work to drive but hey at least it's not annoying.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bearhugman View Post
    Its really not the body roll that's the issue its the ultimate lack of grip. And inability to hold a line confidently!
    Uh ... I'm unable to overtake lots of cars because this car has quite grip in bends. Moreover it's so fun to drive this small car at a high speed on the bends. I don't have the problem with holding turning line confidently. Tire type, pressure, road condition and temperature does play a lot of role here.

bearhugman
    Country
    New Zealand
    Thanks
    Uh ... I'm unable to overtake lots of cars because this car has quite grip in bends. Moreover it's so fun to drive this small car at a high speed on the bends. I don't have the problem with holding turning line confidently. Tire type, pressure, road condition and temperature does play a lot of role here.
    Maybe we are talking differing degree of bends. And possibly its not a great idea to be overtaking on bends!!

bearhugman
    Country
    New Zealand
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLARK View Post
    Hi Bearhugman,
    Good to have another Kiwi on this forum. I've just ticked over 15000km now with no problems - first service a couple of days ago.
    As I have the GLS model this has the larger wheels and tyres and although the body roll is pronounced the lack of grip hasn't been an issue so far. However like you my driving is more for economy and smoothness and is mainly on the open highways.[ My other car is a Mazda MX5 that has 205000km on the clock and is now driven only for pleasure]
    Having not had the car long, I did feel the need to put the car thru its paces. I think its just the skinny rubber that maybe the major issue. Though its really not an issue if you drive easily.
    My previous car had 175/70 /13 rubber, but with no anti roll bar front or back, so believe me I know about body roll!,

bearhugman
    Country
    New Zealand
    Thanks
    Oh, and thanks CLARK for the welcome.

Can I ask how much our first service cost?