Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First impressions: Mirage LS CVT (New Zealand)

bearhugman
    Country
    New Zealand
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

First impressions: Mirage LS CVT (New Zealand)

Picked up my black LS CVT three days a go.

First impressions, love the cvt. Its so smooth and unobtrusive. And will easily potter round town with less than 1500 rpms. But has a very supprising turn of speed when needed, accompanied by an engine note that tells you exactly how hard it is working. And even on the open rd. where is is only doing around 2000 rpms. It is quiet.

The seats are comfy, tho do notice the head restraint seems a little too far forward. Although this maybe by design to reduce the whiplash potential.

Controls are all well positioned. And four speaker stereo sounds great. Have yet to figure out the Bluetooth facility though.

Have averaged 6/100 km. With mostly town driving so far. Have done one out of town run but could only manage 5.2/100km. however checked tires today. Dealer had only put 30 psi in instead of the recommended 39psi. So maybe that will make a difference next long run. Really thinking I should get an ultragauge. Can't seem to find them in Auckland nz though. May have to order direct from states?

Only negatives so far. No boot light. No supplied floor mats.

FYI....I bout one of the dealers courtesy cars. So not new. But 6 months old. With 7500 km. Its was a great price, more than $3500 cheaper than new, and it came with the full 5/10 year new car warranty.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bearhugman For This Useful Post:

CLARK (12-16-2013),MetroMPG (12-16-2013)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Thanks for the review bearhugman.

I am guessing the dome light does not give enough light to light up the trunk area?
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Thanks for posting that, bearhugman!

Quote Originally Posted by bearhugman View Post
    love the cvt. Its so smooth and unobtrusive.
    I was pleasantly surprised by the CVT as well - I liked how willing it was to drop the engine RPM down low, making for quiet and efficient cruising.

Have averaged 6/100 km. With mostly town driving so far. Have done one out of town run but could only manage 5.2/100km.
    For our American members, 6 L/100 km is 39 MPG (US) ... which is actually beating the car's US EPA city rating (which is the most realistic rating system, in my opinion). 5.2 = 45 MPG (US) -- also just beating the car's US highway rating.

Pumping up the tires should help a little, as would getting a gauge to monitor "instant" consumption (better than the eco light).

That missing hatch light is a common complaint -- though easily fixed with a cheap, stick-on LED light!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

bearhugman
    Country
    New Zealand
    Thanks
    I went for a longer run yesterday.

The terrain was quite varied. A large percentage was hilly and `twisty`. This time my impressions were not so favourable. It definitely doesn't like to be pushed into corners. Some down hill corners that got unexpectedly tighter, requiring some mid corner braking had the car feeling pulled off line. Not sure whether this is understeer or oversteer. ( on applying brakes mid corner, it tried to pull a tighter line)

Maybe I'm asking too much of such skinny tires.

And another thing I am a little unhappy with is the constant correction to maintain a straight line.

Fuel economy definitely better at 4.9/100 Km

on applying brakes mid corner, it tried to pull a tighter line
    That sounds like a bit of oversteer.

It definitely doesn't like to be pushed into corners.
    You're not the first person to mention this. Not a sports car.

Many similar comments about the steering as well. See: http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...ring-to-be-odd

EDIT: PS - 4.9 is decent!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bearhugman View Post

And another thing I am a little unhappy with is the constant correction to maintain a straight line.
    after alittle more driving can you elaborate on this, mainly is this noticeble only on the open roads where speed is increased or even on the city streets? thanks

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kalifornia View Post
    after alittle more driving can you elaborate on this, mainly is this noticeble only on the open roads where speed is increased or even on the city streets? thanks
    In my opinion that comes because of the electrical power steering, when no input is given it won't respond. But then again when driving you as human driver has the job of continually keeping the car under control which means correcting the car constantly which in my opinion keeping you awake lol :-)

I think you will notice the constant correction when on open (highway) road, in the city you will have to continuously make corners, take over cars, watching for pedestrians, bikes etc that you don't notice the corrections. It should be there at anytime.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    The car definitely has Mucho Terrible body roll.. the rear springs are too damn soft! definitely Not a sports car, if you really want spirited driving, then its a must to replace the springs with stiffer ones

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I agree with m4v3r1ck about the steering. My Prius is the same way. You end up just getting used to it and don't notice it after a short while.

Thankfully upgrading suspension stuff is cheap and easy to upgrade/fix.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by EtotheZ View Post
    The car definitely has Mucho Terrible body roll.. the rear springs are too damn soft! definitely Not a sports car, if you really want spirited driving, then its a must to replace the springs with stiffer ones
    Yeah, I'm going to replace my rear springs asap. Way too soft, tyre keeps hitting the guard