Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Accidently shiftinfg from 5th to second?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    . I coast in neutral on a regular basis. I see no harm in it, but maybe I'm missing something.
    I questioned that point, too? People pull vehicles with manual transmissions behind motor homes without issue.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (05-11-2020)

It might depend on the vehicle but I wouldn't flat tow a manual rwd unless the engine was running or the driveshaft was pulled. If I cared about it that is. There's a good chance the output shaft isn't getting oil splashed or pumped to it unless the input shaft is spinning. I never thought about that until a smarter than the average tow truck driver explained it to me many moons ago.
    I don't know if fwd are designed totally differently? I would assume some must be able to flat tow without blowing up?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (05-11-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    If you are going 100 km/h, all you need is your brakes to stop. Downshifting isn't necessary at all. Should a deer or moose suddenly appear on the road are you going to waste your time downshifting or just brake?

That doesn't mean you may not have to select a lower gear when making a turn or doing other maneuvers. You should be in the proper gear to make a turn. You should be in the proper gear to travel at any given speed. You don't have to downshift through all the gear to get there, however.

I don't see this as being lazy. I see it as being smart & what's best for your car. Revving your engine while downshifting is really unnecessary. Just slow your vehicle down with your brakes, and then select the next appropriate gear you need to be in to continue the maneuver. It may take some practice and not all manual vehicles are the same. A turn you may take in 2nd gear with one vehicle may be able to be done in 3rd gear with another. With time, it just becomes natural.
    So with modern day cars that have syncromesh transmissions...rev-matching is unnecessary...does the Mirage have a syncromesh transmission? Does anyone rev-match downshift? I was driving today and didn't feel a difference between rev-match downshifting...and downshifting while braking without rev-matching...for normal driving is rev-matching essential? Just wanted to clear up some confusing topics, thanks.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageRally View Post
    So with modern day cars that have syncromesh transmissions...rev-matching is unnecessary...
    That is correct, especially for someone learning to drive a manual transmission. Keep it simple and avoid getting caught up in distractions until you have more familiarity under your belt.

does the Mirage have a syncromesh transmission?
    Yes.

Does anyone rev-match downshift?
    I do it all the time, mostly for hypermiling fun. Fifth gear RPMs are pretty much half the speed in miles per hour. Kinda. So if I'm going 40 MPH, fifth gear will have the engine turning at about 2,000 RPM. At 60 MPH, fifth gear will have the engine turning at around 3,000 RPM. Simple.

for normal driving is rev-matching essential? Just wanted to clear up some confusing topics, thanks.
    No, not it is not essential...

I gotta ask - where does your concern with downshifting and rev-matching come from? I mean, where did you get the idea that you gotta do rev-matching with a manual transmission?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (05-12-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    So with modern day cars that have syncromesh transmissions...rev-matching is unnecessary...does the Mirage have a syncromesh transmission? Does anyone rev-match downshift? I was driving today and didn't feel a difference between rev-match downshifting...and downshifting while braking without rev-matching...for normal driving is rev-matching essential? Just wanted to clear up some confusing topics, thanks.
    I lift my foot completely up with every shift. I do it without realizing that I am doing it. When I am clutching with my left foot, my right foot is lifting up on gas pedal in unison. Outside of starting from a stop in 1st gear, my right foot isn't really on the gas while I am shifting at all.

When I am slowing down (whether it is in gear, coasting, or braking), I will eventually slip the car into neutral. Once I know what speed the next maneuver is going to be, I select the the right gear to keep me going. For most turns that don't involve a stop, I am going to be in 3rd or 2nd (depending on the speed of the turn & slope of the road). My foot is not on gas while shifting except for starting out from a stop in 1st gear.

If rev-matching is something you are suppose to do when driving a manual, I've been doing it wrong for over 40 years. I have never owned an automatic vehicle, but I am not saying this makes me an expert on manuals.

I've never had a clutch replaced in any of vehicles, and my brakes usually do quite well. My 2000 Honda CR-V had 154,000 miles on its original factory brakes when I was ironically rear-ended in 2013 by someone who didn't brake so well with their Chevy Tahoe. I don't neglect maintenance items, & my local mechanic would always confirmed that the brakes still looked good every time I asked him.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (05-12-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That is correct, especially for someone learning to drive a manual transmission. Keep it simple and avoid getting caught up in distractions until you have more familiarity under your belt.

Yes.

I do it all the time, mostly for hypermiling fun. Fifth gear RPMs are pretty much half the speed in miles per hour. Kinda. So if I'm going 40 MPH, fifth gear will have the engine turning at about 2,000 RPM. At 60 MPH, fifth gear will have the engine turning at around 3,000 RPM. Simple.

No, not it is not essential...

I gotta ask - where does your concern with downshifting and rev-matching come from? I mean, where did you get the idea that you gotta do rev-matching with a manual transmission?
    In High School, most of my friends had wrx's and would freak out if you didn't rev-match downshift...lol...l understand using it on the track, but for me l'm never in a hurry to be doing that...my friend's subaru impreza was manual and he basically ingrained into my head that rev-matching downshifting was the only way to drive manual......there have been times l've almost gotten into an accident, for Example-l'm driving when suddenly a deer comes in the road...instead of using my brakes while downshifting, l take extra time to rev-match and almost hit the deer...plus like you said before, cars are built really tough these days...long as you slow down to appropriate speed before you downshift you don't need to rev-match...lt'll take more time for me to master it, but for now l'll stick to the basics

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MirageRally For This Useful Post:

Eggman (05-12-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    for now l'll stick to the basics
    You're gonna be fine. Enjoy this beautiful day. And make a forum Garage entry already. The link to doing this is under your name as found next to your posts.

It looks like this:
    Garage empty: add car

Let's see some pictures.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (05-12-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You're gonna be fine. Enjoy this beautiful day. And make a forum Garage entry already. The link to doing this is under your name as found next to your posts.

It looks like this:
    Garage empty: add car

Let's see some pictures.
    Haha, lol-alright l'll post some pictures...still waiting on my darn led headlight bulbs the final picture l will post will be the after...the picture l post today will be the before picture

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Update:!
    Going to the dealer on the 16th to have them look over the car and transmission...just to be sure and I'm not leaving until they tell me what is causing the grinding/crunching/not lining up all the time. I'm sure I'm just paranoid at this point but better safe than sorry.
    Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm kinda impressed the synchros would even allow for a smooth 5-2 shift to happen at all. I guess that's a testament to our transmission.

I once accidentally went from 5-2 and it wouldn't even go into gear. The shift lever felt like it hit a wall.