Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Accidently shiftinfg from 5th to second?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Accidently shiftinfg from 5th to second?

This morning on my way to work l accidentally downshifted from 5th to 2nd....and my car jerked, then the rpms went up to 5000...seems to shift ok now....does anyone know if l prematurely wore out the tranny or engine? l only have 200 miles on my car and want to make sure everything is ok...

LOL if it still runs and drives fine don't worry about it. They'll rev to 6000rpm but don't like 8900 very much. https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...into-2015-car)
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Daox (04-21-2020),MirageRally (04-20-2020)

Senior Member Subcompact Culture's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    LOL if it still runs and drives fine don't worry about it. They'll rev to 6000rpm but don't like 8900 very much. https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...into-2015-car)
    Beat me to it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Subcompact Culture For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (04-20-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageRally View Post
    This morning on my way to work l accidentally downshifted from 5th to 2nd....and my car jerked, then the rpms went up to 5000...seems to shift ok now....does anyone know if l prematurely wore out the tranny or engine? l only have 200 miles on my car and want to make sure everything is ok...
    I’ve done it! The engine screamed for a second till I pushed the clutch back in. No bad side effects to report and that was a couple years ago.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.1 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.8 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ed100 For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (04-20-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageRally View Post
    If you can't find them, grind them! That's the phrase we would use with our bus driver when we were kids. We were being stupid! Now, most all buses are automatics.

It's probably OK. If it should happens again, push in the clutch asap, & shift into the intended gear. The nice thing about an under powered car is that mistakes like this are more forgiving.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (04-20-2020),MirageRally (04-20-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    5,000 rpm is nothing. The engine redlines at around 7,000.

If you shifted from 5th to 2nd at a speed much greater than 60 mph, you could bend valves and have a major engine problem.

I know this because my co-driver in autocross competition shifted my Mirage from the top of 2nd (7,000 rpm in 2nd, around 54 mph), reaching for 3rd gear, placed it into 1st. Instantly spun the engine up to around 10,000 rpm. It instantly stalled and wouldn't restart. Upon disassembly, six bent exhaust valves.

To prevent this kind of nonsense, remember that the shifter is spring-loaded to center. If you're downshifting to 4th, don't try to "place" the shifter into 4th. Just pull it down with your fingertips, it will spring to center and drop into 4th.

You only need side pressure to downshift to 2nd or upshift to 5th. Try to let the shifter mechanism do it's thing.
    Last edited by Loren; 04-20-2020 at 06:35 PM.
    Simplify and add lightness.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

Daox (04-21-2020),fc321 (10-07-2020),Mark (04-20-2020),MirageRally (04-20-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    5,000 rpm is nothing. The engine redlines at around 7,000.

If you shifted from 5th to 2nd at a speed much greater than 60 mph, you could bend valves and have a major engine problem.

I know this because my co-driver in autocross competition shifted my Mirage from the top of 2nd (7,000 rpm in 2nd, around 54 mph), reaching for 3rd gear, placed it into 1st. Instantly spun the engine up to around 10,000 rpm. It instantly stalled and wouldn't restart. Upon disassembly, six bent exhaust valves.

To prevent this kind of nonsense, remember that the shifter is spring-loaded to center. If you're downshifting to 4th, don't try to "place" the shifter into 4th. Just pull it down with your fingertips, it will spring to center and drop into 4th.

You only need side pressure to downshift to 2nd or upshift to 5th. Try to let the shifter mechanism do it's thing.
    Good to know...l was so afraid to drive home because l thought l killed the tranny...being new to stick shift...definitely don't want to do that again:/

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    If you can't find them, grind them! That's the phrase we would use with our bus driver when we were kids. We were being stupid! Now, most all buses are automatics.

It's probably OK. If it should happens again, push in the clutch asap, & shift into the intended gear. The nice thing about an under powered car is that mistakes like this are more forgiving.
    Ok, I'll remember that, l don't want it to happen again....l don't want to kill by brand new car. l've only had it a week haha, l'm trying to make it go as long as possible...l know that if l accidentally kill the transmission-it's not covered under warranty and l'm not made of money lol.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ed100 View Post
    I’ve done it! The engine screamed for a second till I pushed the clutch back in. No bad side effects to report and that was a couple years ago.
    It was also hard to tell where l was in gear...l knew l was in 5th and thought "l'll downshift to 4th" then as soon as the rps went flying l immediately knew l was in second and braked, which slowed the rpms down...because l'm a newbie l look at which gear before l shift and becuase it was in the morning, l couldn't see the gear pattern very well...(black on black is really hard to see). I'll get the hang of it soon...lol

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    These cars are so basic, you could beat it like red headed step-child. My poor old 90s Accord 5speed, I must of skipped gears multiple times over the years. Never had an issue with it.