Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Accidently shiftinfg from 5th to second?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageRally View Post
    yeah, still breaking the transmission in...l'm at 578 miles now and this little car is great. Can do hill starts good and always have car in N and foot off clutch at stop lights....how long do these syncros last? Also does anyone know how much they would cost to replace? Trying to make my car last as long as possible
    If you don't abuse your transmission you could go almost 300,000 miles without issue like stevedmc. Speed shifting, forcing the shifts when the transmission oil is cold, full throttle (WOT) shifting and I'm sure there are other sure fire ways to shorten the life of your transmission. Basically don't drive it like a bonobo and it will last far longer. Don't get me wrong, I drive my 5 speed OS pretty aggressively but I never ever hurry the shifting.

Oh and good that you are putting the car in neutral at stoplights. You'll thank yourself at 150,000 miles when you don't have to replace the throwout bearing.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    You might have to explain double-clutch techniques and why it is helpful.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tescWzTlGQ0
    Here Ya Go...
    Last edited by klroger; 05-04-2020 at 01:49 AM.
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    yeah, still breaking the transmission in...l'm at 578 miles now and this little car is great. Can do hill starts good and always have car in N and foot off clutch at stop lights....how long do these syncros last? Also does anyone know how much they would cost to replace? Trying to make my car last as long as possible
    If everything seems fine, I highly doubt you did any damage to your transmission.

Loren's advice in post #6 is really good! A 5-speed manual transmission is set up to help everyone shift properly. It's done by spring loading the shift lever when in neutral. Finding the middle gears (3rd & 4th) are the hardest, but the shift lever also lines up with those two gears on its own (provided you have found neutral). If you make somewhat slow deliberate shifts, you will find the correct gear more easily. You don't really have to manhandle it to shift smoothly.

When you shift out of 5th gear, the shift lever will naturally line up (spring action does this for you) with 3rd or 4th gear. What gear you slip into next will depend on the speed, turn, or whatever maneuver you are trying to do. If I am climbing a steep hill, I will most likely downshift to 4th & later 3rd if needed. There are times when making a turn, I may go from 5th to 3rd gear. If it's sharper more deliberate turn, I may find myself going from 4th to 2nd. It all depends on the speed you can safely make the turn, & in my area the slope of the road can be a factor.

Overtime, it just becomes natural. You don't even think about it. Once you are rolling along shifts don't have to happen that fast. You have Newton's 1st Law of Motion working in your favor at that point. You can make nice slow deliberate shifts, & your Mirage will appreciate it!

1st & 2nd gear require a little pull towards you.
    3rd & 4th gear let the spring loaded shift lever line you up.
    5th gear requires a deliberate push away from you while shifting up.

You may have all this mastered already without realizing it.

The Mirage does have HSA (hill start assist), & I feel it works quite well. It prevents you from rolling back from start on a hill. Without it, a person may use the hand brake to hold the car while letting out the clutch & manipulating the gas pedal. That is why most manual cars with have hand parking/emergency brakes. You can release the hand brake as you let out the clutch. More experience drivers can do this without using the hand brake, but it can be helpful for new manual drivers. HSA sort of does that for you.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (05-08-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    You don't really have to manhandle it to shift smoothly.
    To this point, I see weighted shift knobs and short-throw shifters as contributing to unnecessary force for shifting and increased wear.

Though I suppose it would be fun to see how they work, I have no need to use these modifications - my 5-speed shifts just fine.
    Last edited by Eggman; 05-04-2020 at 08:31 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    If everything seems fine, I highly doubt you did any damage to your transmission.

Loren's advice in post #6 is really good! A 5-speed manual transmission is set up to help everyone shift properly. It's done by spring loading the shift lever when in neutral. Finding the middle gears (3rd & 4th) are the hardest, but the shift lever also lines up with those two gears on its own (provided you have found neutral). If you make somewhat slow deliberate shifts, you will find the correct gear more easily. You don't really have to manhandle it to shift smoothly.

When you shift out of 5th gear, the shift lever will naturally line up (spring action does this for you) with 3rd or 4th gear. What gear you slip into next will depend on the speed, turn, or whatever maneuver you are trying to do. If I am climbing a steep hill, I will most likely downshift to 4th & later 3rd if needed. There are times when making a turn, I may go from 5th to 3rd gear. If it's sharper more deliberate turn, I may find myself going from 4th to 2nd. It all depends on the speed you can safely make the turn, & in my area the slope of the road can be a factor.

Overtime, it just becomes natural. You don't even think about it. Once you are rolling along shifts don't have to happen that fast. You have Newton's 1st Law of Motion working in your favor at that point. You can make nice slow deliberate shifts, & your Mirage will appreciate it!

1st & 2nd gear require a little pull towards you.
    3rd & 4th gear let the spring loaded shift lever line you up.
    5th gear requires a deliberate push away from you while shifting up.

You may have all this mastered already without realizing it.

The Mirage does have HSA (hill start assist), & I feel it works quite well. It prevents you from rolling back from start on a hill. Without it, a person may use the hand brake to hold the car while letting out the clutch & manipulating the gas pedal. That is why most manual cars with have hand parking/emergency brakes. You can release the hand brake as you let out the clutch. More experience drivers can do this without using the hand brake, but it can be helpful for new manual drivers. HSA sort of does that for you.
    Good to know...before l bought this car l heard a clunking sound coming from the front suspension....also my reverse gear kept popping out...going to have my independent mechanic look over the vehicle before l go to the dealership to narrow down the issue...looked over everything but cant find anything? Maybe axle? Front suspension?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Good to know...before l bought this car l heard a clunking sound coming from the front suspension....also my reverse gear kept popping out...going to have my independent mechanic look over the vehicle before l go to the dealership to narrow down the issue...looked over everything but cant find anything? Maybe axle? Front suspension?
    Getting a second opinion from someone that can actually inspect & drive your Mirage is good!

It's really hard for us to speculate about some things via a forum.
    Last edited by Mark; 05-08-2020 at 04:18 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    We should make a list of things that are hard and make it a stickie somewhere here.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    There's something not quite right about that statement, but I can't put my finger on it.
    Simplify and add lightness.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

precisionxt (10-16-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    There's something not quite right about that statement, but I can't put my finger on it.
    Doesn't sound like anything I would want to put a finger on to me!

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts

Don't jam in gears, and don't use any force at all on the gear lever!
    If you do need force or think you need to force anything, you're doing something wrong and wearing out the synchro rings at the same time!

I hold the stick shift only by my thumb and my index and middle finger. That ensures zero force on the lever. Like that synchro rings will never wear out and last for ever.
    Remember, take your time to do it slowly switching gears, and stab the clutch immediately and take your foot off he gas if you got it wrong. In a few weeks you will have learnt well enough, and changing gears will happen almost automatically without thinking about it.

Forget about double clutching, special techniques and all that. You're not a race car driver, you just want to become able to do it properly. Much later on when you are an expert, you might want to look at the ecomodder pages about how to do it best for saving gas and wear.

In these parts manual accounts for about 98% of all. I have been driving manuals, including trucks and occaisionally construction machinery for over 50 years.

Last edited by foama; 05-08-2020 at 07:53 AM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (05-08-2020)