Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2015 Cvt problem Maybe? Hopefully not for Dirks sake

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Definitely sounds electrical, anyway. I would say bad solenoid, but it sounds like a lot more than just "the transmission is tofurkey". I'd look at the ECM/ECU, CANBUS module, transmission controller, and the wires/connectors that connect them. If it's not too hard to get to, might check the instrument panel connectors too.

Clean anything you disconnect, since you got it out anyway.

...dunno why I'm telling you all this. You probably know it already. lol

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 42.3 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.8 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Nobu For This Useful Post:

Fummins (04-22-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam - UK View Post
    could be a long shot but look at the brake pedal switch could be playing up

with foot on brake pedal shift lock should let you put it in gear

https://www.autoblog.com/2016/01/12/...lock-solenoid/

https://www.mitsubishipartswarehouse...wzLWdhcw%3D%3D
    [B]I thought this at first and will still look at it eventually. It seemed to shift fine when the shift indicator on the cluster was working. Now it doesn't. Brake lights work though. I don't believe the brake switch should stop the tcm from communicating with ecm though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex1a1f View Post
    Are you being serious? 2 screws and a tug? Couldn't be easier.
    Yup, removing the the actual sockets from the housing was the hardest part. OMG I think I broke a nail!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!.......no. It's not the CVT!Attachment 17800
    So far so good, looks to be an effen electrical problem not cvt(so far). It would be nice to have a printed version of the service manual right about now. Following the schematics and connector locations is a pita.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobu View Post
    Definitely sounds electrical, anyway. I would say bad solenoid, but it sounds like a lot more than just "the transmission is tofurkey". I'd look at the ECM/ECU, CANBUS module, transmission controller, and the wires/connectors that connect them. If it's not too hard to get to, might check the instrument panel connectors too.

Clean anything you disconnect, since you got it out anyway.

...dunno why I'm telling you all this. You probably know it already. lol
    Yesh,
    Last edited by Fummins; 04-22-2020 at 01:01 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

This one's figured out now. One single wire was held together by a blue salty strand.

I replaced the lowest connector and re routed it higher up so it wouldn't rust out. But the connector just above that one was still in place since they seemed to be fine. The wires that run below the white connector block were pretty salty. I pulled the tape off and one light blue wire was obviously janky. Everything seems to work properly now, shift indicator, reverse lights, blah blah blah.

I'll solder this back together and route the harness up higher.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

javensbukan (04-22-2020),Nobu (04-22-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Is it just me or do these cars seem to have a higher frequency of wiring issues for something that is only 5 years old? Is it cheap wiring, poor harness protection, harsh environmental conditions, or a combination of all 3?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Your a damn good detective Fummins! Good to know its electrical and not the CVT considering one is way cheaper to fix than the other!

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Is it just me or do these cars seem to have a higher frequency of wiring issues for something that is only 5 years old? Is it cheap wiring, poor harness protection, harsh environmental conditions, or a combination of all 3?
    I'll blame the underhood wiring issues on poor assembly and harness protection. For the kick panel connector problems, they seem to have moved a lot of the connectors from the lowest connector in 2017 so they might be slightly less prone to major issues like the 2014-2015's? I'm sure the majority of owners, at least the ones who care about their cars might not have the same problems that I'm seeing behind the kick panel. If you kick off the snow before getting in the car and use decent floor mats that empty regularly you'll likely never have this issue. If the harness connectors were a little higher up and harness itself routed a little better this wouldn't be a problem to begin with.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (04-22-2020)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    [B]I thought this at first and will still look at it eventually. It seemed to shift fine when the shift indicator on the cluster was working. Now it doesn't. Brake lights work though. I don't believe the brake switch should stop the tcm from communicating with ecm though.

Yup, removing the the actual sockets from the housing was the hardest part. OMG I think I broke a nail!

So far so good, looks to be an effen electrical problem not cvt(so far). It would be nice to have a printed version of the service manual right about now. Following the schematics and connector locations is a pita.

Yesh,
    Did I mention I'm obsessive compulsive?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 42.3 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.8 mpg (Imp)

Did I mention I'm essential? Attachment 17803

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Name:  memebetter.com-20200422110913.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  89.2 KB

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    This one's figured out now. One single wire was held together by a blue salty strand.
    Where was this again?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)