Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2015 Cvt problem Maybe? Hopefully not for Dirks sake

Behind the kick panel. Some of the harness runs down below the junction block. It's really a retarded place. 3 of the lowest connectors(most prone likely to be corroded) do not even run to the back of the car. They are only a connection between 2 harnesses. It would have made more sense to have them connect higher up behind the fuse box. Just stupid engineering in my opinion. It makes sense if you see it. I tried to take pics, will try to post this after noon.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (04-22-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I'll blame the underhood wiring issues on poor assembly and harness protection. For the kick panel connector problems, they seem to have moved a lot of the connectors from the lowest connector in 2017 so they might be slightly less prone to major issues like the 2014-2015's? I'm sure the majority of owners, at least the ones who care about their cars might not have the same problems that I'm seeing behind the kick panel. If you kick off the snow before getting in the car and use decent floor mats that empty regularly you'll likely never have this issue. If the harness connectors were a little higher up and harness itself routed a little better this wouldn't be a problem to begin with.
    There was a recall on this model (2014-15) for a very similar reason (like you mentioned?).... corrosion causing damage to poorly protected wiring, in this case the wires for the Airbag.

I guess it's not terribly surprising that this issue is also happening to other wires nearby.

https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur...rchResult&pg=0

Transport Canada Recall # 2015579
    Recall Date 2015-12-04
    Notification Type Safety Mfr
    System Electrical
    Manufacturer Recall Number SR16-001
    Units Affected The number of vehicles or components affected by the recall. 8,875

On certain vehicles, the wiring harness connector located in the area of the drivers footrest could corrode over time due to repeated exposure to melted snow/water containing road salt. This could eventually result in illumination of several warning lamps including the Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) warning lamp. If the SRS warning lamp is illuminated and the vehicle is subsequently involved in a collision that warrants frontal air bag deployment, the timing of the frontal airbag deployment(s) may be delayed, which would increase the risk of injury to the seat occupant(s). Correction: Dealers will install a waterproof sheet to prevent potential contamination and corrosion of the connector. The connector will also be inspected and, if any corrosion is found, the connector will be replaced with a new one.

I wonder if this issue is worth reporting to the authorities or if it's not considered a 'safety' issue.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    Behind the kick panel. Some of the harness runs down below the junction block. It's really a retarded place. 3 of the lowest connectors(most prone likely to be corroded) do not even run to the back of the car. They are only a connection between 2 harnesses. It would have made more sense to have them connect higher up behind the fuse box. Just stupid engineering in my opinion. It makes sense if you see it. I tried to take pics, will try to post this after noon.
    Thanks. Bonus if the pictures are sideways.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (04-22-2020)

Last edited by Fummins; 04-23-2020 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Fingered out how to flip a flipping picture.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Adam - UK (04-24-2020),Top_Fuel (04-23-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    The forum says he's cool too.
    That wire looks cut, doesn't it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

It does. It wasn't visible until I unwrapped the tape from the factoria. It scary how one crappy little wire can cause so many issues.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Where is the kick panel exactly?

Where you could kick it. Below the hood release handle.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Where you could kick it. Below the hood release handle.
    First thing I did after reading your advice on the kick panel was cut me out some Goodyear floor mats to cover that one patch. I figured that rubber floor cut out would collect some of the moisture.Name:  20200423_102117.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  93.7 KB

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Original Mitsu service center diagnosis. My mech says it probably bullcrap.

Name:  20200423_102513.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  98.2 KB