Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fitting a Twin Size Mattress & a Stove in a Mirage, not at the same time

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Fitting a Twin Size Mattress & a Stove in a Mirage, not at the same time

Hi all,

So last summer I downgraded from a sedan to a hatchback, and my cargo space seems to have decreased a little. In the past, I have used my sedan to transport lumber, furniture, bikes and random storage.

I once rented a Nissan Rogue and fit a full size refigerator. Total cost $30.

So you catch my drift. My next challenge is to fit a twin size mattress in a Mirage. Safety first, so nothing on top/sticking outside. Also, BOTH rear-view mirrors must be visible.

The mattress has firm springs, so folding it in half is out of the question. The mattresses (more than one, but one a time because time is not of the essence) are still in great condition, so selling/dumping them and buying new ones is not being considered.

The real treat, is fitting the mattress in the Mirage, and living to tell my grandkids.

This is a non-story for most, but I do not want to ask anyone if they have done it before. I just want to try it next week and I will report here whether I succeeded or if I failed.

Today I transported a dolly that was 4ft in my Mirage. I bought it for a stove. That is another challenge, another day, another post. But right now I want to fit the mattress, with dimensions 39"x75." The reason I think I will succeed, is because my dolly is 52" and I didn't even have to move my front passenger seat all the way forward. The rear passenger seats were lowered and there was enough space for 20" if I moved the seat all the way forward and reclined the seat. I think the mattress can fit above the seat, if I put it sideways, or vertically between the two front seats.

I grew up on Tetris, so I know how to pack.

If this post sounds a little ironic, it is. The real world is not Tetris, but again, I did fit a fridge in a Nissan Rogue. But that was years ago. That's like Keith Hernandez saying he won MVP in 1979. The point is, it's 2020, and new challenges await. Wearing facemask, making sure the I use sanitizer after touching the handles, because you never know who might have touched the car's handlebars, and coronavirus can survive up to 4 days on plastic surfaces.

So there.
    Wish me luck.

Last edited by highwire; 04-23-2020 at 09:20 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to highwire For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (04-24-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Can't wait to see the pictures.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Can't wait to see the pictures.
    Here's my Nissan Rogue & Fridge Name:  KIMG0230.jpg
Views: 711
Size:  90.4 KB

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I fit a minifridge/freezer and a 43" TV in my Accord...not at the same time though. Also rode home on my nc700x with an 8ft section of PVC. Fun times.

Look forward to photos.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 42.3 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I fit a kayak in my sedan before- I left the trunk open, but the seats were down a little so I could fit it in more.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I bought my Stove and fridge after I moved. Except my headboard and washing machine which arrived at my house in a friends Silverado moved entirely with my Metro which has a similar interior space to a Mirage.

If you take the front passenger seat out and open the hatch you can wedge a twin mattress in. You just need to get it as far as it'll go. Lay on it and bend the front together at a 45degree angle or so and have someone push the mattress up.

Moving with a subcompact is a fun challenge, certainly possible. Stove is a maybe depending on its dimensions. Can confirm that my 30 x 27" stove would not go into the Mirages hatch.

If your mattress is new I'd shy away from it, as it did develop a lasting bend from being squished.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MacClyver View Post
    I bought my Stove and fridge after I moved. Except my headboard and washing machine which arrived at my house in a friends Silverado moved entirely with my Metro which has a similar interior space to a Mirage.

If you take the front passenger seat out and open the hatch you can wedge a twin mattress in. You just need to get it as far as it'll go. Lay on it and bend the front together at a 45degree angle or so and have someone push the mattress up.

Moving with a subcompact is a fun challenge, certainly possible. Stove is a maybe depending on its dimensions. Can confirm that my 30 x 27" stove would not go into the Mirages hatch.

If your mattress is new I'd shy away from it, as it did develop a lasting bend from being squished.
    Thanks MacClyver, much appreciated!

I was planning on removnig the backseat headrests, reclining the front passenger seat instead of removing it.

You probably saved me some embarrassment in trying to fit the stove in later- I would have done and will still do measurements but I know it the stove is 30" wide.

The mattress is not new, but it is a good brand. I will try a thinner trundle mattress (edit: not cot) first, which has the same length and width as a twin mattress but not height. I think that might be an advantage to not needing to remove the front seat, but it may be embarrassing since it won't be in the privacy of a backyard garage.
    Last edited by highwire; 04-24-2020 at 02:53 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hey if you're looking for inspiration look at post #18 here.
    https://geometroforum.com/moving-out...0.html#p696918
    And holy crap, the metro forum doesn't look like absolute trash anymore. Wow, I may even reintroduce myself one of these days.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MacClyver For This Useful Post:

highwire (04-24-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MacClyver View Post
    Hey if you're looking for inspiration look at post #18 here.
    https://geometroforum.com/moving-out...0.html#p696918
    And holy crap, the metro forum doesn't look like absolute trash anymore. Wow, I may even reintroduce myself one of these days.
    LOL great pics, kudos to be part of the American tradition of ingenuity!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by highwire View Post
    Hi all,

So last summer I downgraded from a sedan to a hatchback, and my cargo space seems to have decreased a little. In the past, I have used my sedan to transport lumber, furniture, bikes and random storage.

I once rented a Nissan Rogue and fit a full size refigerator. Total cost $30.
    I've fit 7' 2 x 6' 's into my Mirage with the hatch shut. I believe something of that length. I can fit one of those Weber compact aluminum 3 part Ladder into my Mirage... gives me 17' once it's all set up.

If I can avoid using my ladder I sure do avoid it, but the odd time they are needed around the house to wash the windows etc.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)