Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mitsu president: "There is no way we are going to withdraw from the U.S. market."

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah, I have told massive amounts of posters on other car websites that the Mitsubishi CEO in Japan has said "Mitsubishi is not pulling out of the NA market." And he's said it at least 3 times in the past couple of years! What kind of "the sky is falling on Mitsubishi in the U.S." story are they conjuring up for themselves. They're convincing themselves that Mitsubishi is leaving the U.S. market. If it is because they don't like Mitsubishi, maybe so. I don't agree and I don't understand. But the cars Americans are buying I wouldn't buy. I obviously would buy a '08 Lancer GTS and ya know what, my next new car will more than likely be another Mitsubishi. Perception of the brand was Kia's problem for years, but Kia is fairly new (they came with the 1st gen.Sephia in what, 1995 or 1996) to the U.S. automotive marketplace. Mitsubishi or their drivetrains being used in other brands have been in America for much, much longer. And they're made right and made well, made ta last a long time. I don't get it nor do I want ta catch what kind of bug they've acquired or smoke what they're smoking. They're smoking some strong hash, Mitsubishi friends!

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I will say this much. When I told a few English-speaking Malaysians that Mitsubishi moved 6,500 cars in December, but Toyota sold 195,000 units in the same month, their jaws hit the floor.

Out in the East, Mitsubishi is in a dead heat with Toyota, Nissan, Honda, Mazda (to a lesser extent) and Daihatsu, all fighting vigorously for the same piece of market share.

So why are they struggling here?
    Last edited by Dorifuta; 01-26-2014 at 07:12 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah, I remember in Arizona back in early 2007 when my 2008 Lancer GTS was brand new. A co-worker told me that you're gonna love your Lancer. Then she told me something I will never forget. "That motor will last forever for you!" It will? She owned a Mitsubishi at one time and told me their powertrains are rock-solid. I said "Cool!"

It has turned out ta be true. You know what, though? I believed it would last a long time before she even told me so. I just wanted her to elaborate on why she believed that. I don't know if a better engine can be purchased on the mass-production line than Mitsubishi engines and transmissions.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    A Honda D-series, enough said. :P

Too bad Honda retired the D-series, those engines - well, some of them are nearly 20 years old now, the owners still drive the cars like douches and are pushing 250k+ on the odometer, and those damn engines just don't quit.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Mitsubishi Galant engines are indestructible as well, loads of them has over 300k and still rolling nicely!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Depends, really. The 4G64 is robust no doubt, but the 6G72 is prone to head gasket issues and tough to work on. I see a lot more V6 Eclipses and Galants in the junkyard than I do base models.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorifuta View Post
    Depends, really. The 4G64 is robust no doubt, but the 6G72 is prone to head gasket issues and tough to work on. I see a lot more V6 Eclipses and Galants in the junkyard than I do base models.
    (Luckily?) we only have 4G63 and 6A13. There's no 3.0L in europe for as far as I know. And indeed the 4G63 engines (4 cyl) lasts longer than the 6 cyl version

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I think the US is going to see big increases in gas prices based on all the money that's being printed. How well will the Mirage sell with $6 or $7 a gallon gas?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 automatic: 39.7 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.6 mpg (Imp)

A year later, CEO Osamu Masuko again emphasizes the company's plans to stay in the U.S. and revitalize its lineup (including probably the Mirage sedan):

But one thing is certain, he added: Mitsubishi has no plans to follow Suzuki Motor Corp. in pulling out of the U.S.

"We are trying to introduce new vehicles," he said. "We aren't thinking of withdrawing whatsoever."
    Source: http://www.autonews.com/article/2014...s-new-products

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Woohoo, its great to see this point reinforced. A lot of blog comments (and even people here) say this is a reason they were hesitant or will not buy the Mirage.

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)