Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Oil Change thread

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I noticed Purolator had improved their product line a few years ago. I associated that with the take over by MANN + HUMMEL, but that's just an assumption on my part.
    What was the improvement you noticed? Was it something in the filter's construction, or it's performance specs or claims? Can't remember if you've taken one apart.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    What was the improvement you noticed? Was it something in the filter's construction, or it's performance specs or claims? Can't remember if you've taken one apart.
    These clips may come across as ads, but Purolator is a company that seems to take great pride in their products. I challenge anyone to find a comparable Mobil 1 oil filter clip on youtube. I doubt you would find one, because Mobil 1 is not in the business of making oil filters. Once again, that does't make them bad filters.

I suspect the Bosch Distance Plus & WIX XP may be similar to these, too. The Purolator filters have been improved in recent years. If you want to know how, they will tell you -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7TzQkY7qaI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NbWmuNLlGk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I73fnbq5arM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imb1D4F877M

If you don't think the BOSS filter is substantial, I suggest you compare the weight of it to other filters.

I am not stating Purolator filters are the best filters on the market. They have changed what they offer in recent years. I buy their cheaper ONE filter, because I think the BOSS filter is more than I need for a Mirage.

I find it interesting that MANN + HUMMEL is now associated with Mobil 1 filters. Who would you say is producing Mobil 1 oil filters now? WIX maybe?

I am not trying to annoy anyone. There are several good oil filters on the market. I tend to buy oil filters for my John Deere mower/Kawasaki Mule (same filter), Bolens G174 4WD compact diesel tractor, and two vehicles. A local Farm & Fleet has all the Purolator filters in stock & usually on sale. If I am in a pinch, I don't hesitate to buy other brand filters at times.
    Last edited by Mark; 04-26-2020 at 07:55 PM.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Same thing I usually do, OE filter and change at the dealer every 8000km.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Wow!! I didn't know there was this much passion about oil filters. My VW doesn't even HAVE an oil filter. What does every one recommend??? I just keep it @ home & never drive it because I can't put a MANN + HUMMEL on it to replace a Purolator that may be made by Champion??? Please help as I want to drive my VW, but since it does not have an oil filter, I feel I may cause the universe to generate more COVID stuff or cause kittens to loose there fur or something bad like that. Please HELP!!
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to klroger For This Useful Post:

daleWV (04-27-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by klroger View Post
    Wow!! I didn't know there was this much passion about oil filters. My VW doesn't even HAVE an oil filter. What does every one recommend??? I just keep it @ home & never drive it because I can't put a MANN + HUMMEL on it to replace a Purolator that may be made by Champion??? Please help as I want to drive my VW, but since it does not have an oil filter, I feel I may cause the universe to generate more COVID stuff or cause kittens to loose there fur or something bad like that. Please HELP!!
    This is nothing, spend some time on Bob is the Oil Guy site aka "BITOG" forum and you can deep dive into disturbingly large threads devoted to oil filter design, specifications, manufacturing specs, oil filter tear downs, oil analysis reports and so much more.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Eggman (04-27-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    SuperTech 0w-20 and Kirkland have been fluctuating in price but are both the cheapest options (with no quality sacrifice or stupid mail in rebates). I don't have a Costco membership so I tend to stick with SuperTech. The 12 pack SuperTech oils are about $13.30 a piece, Costco had a sale a while back with 2 packs for $25 and was the best deal I have ever seen.

Honestly some things are cheaper at Costco but other things are much more expensive so it ends up being a trade off for me. Less private label food products. Since you don't even need the Costco card to buy gas in NJ Costcos I don't think I would save enough to justify it without going grocery shopping at both stores. As it is Walmart credit card saves an additional 5% on grocery pickup.

As for the filter I have been using SuperTech ST6607. It is currently retailing for $2.97 a pop. Rated for 10k miles 99% efficient and is also a relabel from another manufacture ( can't remember but it's somewhere on BITOG). This seems to not only be the cheapest filter but of a better quality than FRAM and made in the USA. It has a metal core and a drain back valve. Clearly not the fanciest or craziest but it has worked fine for me.

Still doing every 7500 miles as per warranty though I have not been driving much lately with COVID and my now full time WFH. Total cost for oil and filter come out to under $12.50.

Whenever I get to 100k miles I will do a 15k OCI with SuperTech and do a lab test on it to show how it holds up and share the results.

TLDR: SuperTech 0w-20, SuperTech ST6607, 7.5k miles.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirageman38 View Post
    Since you don't even need the Costco card to buy gas in NJ Costcos
    No kidding? I wonder if our local Costcos check for membership at the pumps.

Another learning moment:
    As for the filter I have been using SuperTech ST6607. It is currently retailing for $2.97 a pop. Rated for 10k miles 99% efficient
    I didn't know Super Tech claimed 99% efficiency on their filters. Those are some impressive numbers. Where did you find this?

and is also a relabel from another manufacture ( can't remember but it's somewhere on BITOG).
    According to their warranty statement Super Tech gets their filters from Champion Laboratories.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Tech
    WARRANTY INFORMATION

SUPERTECH
    filter products manufactured or sold by Champion Laboratories, Inc. are warranted to their original purchaser to be free from defects in material and workmanship for the duration of the original equipment recommended change interval. This warranty covers properly installed filters, installed in vehicles as cataloged by the then applicable Walmart product catalog. This warranty does not cover any product that: a) has been subject to misuse, neglect, negligence, accident or casualty; b) has been improperly installed; c) has been installed into an engine which is not referenced as a conforming application by the then applicable Walmart catalog; or d) has remained in service beyond the original equipment recommended change interval.

Any covered product which is determined by Champion Laboratories, Inc. to be defective will be replaced at no charge. In the event of an engine or equipment failure directly caused by a covered product, Champion Laboratories, Inc. will provide the lesser of the: i) restoration of the engine or equipment to a condition equivalent to that existing just prior to the failure or ii) cash payment of the fair market value of the vehicle. TO THE FULLEST EXTENT ALLOWED UNDER APPLICABLE LAW, CHAMPION LABORATORIES, INC. DISCLAIMS ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES AND CONDITIONS AND ANY AND ALL CONSEQUENTIAL, INCIDENTAL AND SPECIAL DAMAGES. Some jurisdictions do not permit the exclusion of such warranties or damages, so this disclaimer may not apply to you.

You must cooperate with Champion Laboratories, Inc.’s claims management process. Please submit claims to Champion Laboratories, Inc. within 30 days after discovery of damage. Champion Laboratories, Inc. reserves the right to examine the engine, equipment and filter to determine the amount of damage and whether such damage was caused by a defective Covered Product. Therefore, claimants must take steps necessary to preserve the engine and/or equipment and the filter during the claim’s investigation period.

To initiate a claim in the United States, call 800-882-0890 or email: claims@champlabs.com.
    To initiate a claim outside of the United States, call 419-293-5570 or email: claims@champlabs.com.

This warranty gives you specific legal rights. You may have other rights which vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction.

VEHICLE MANUFACTURERS’ WARRANTIES

In the United States:
    Use of SUPERTECH® products will not void your Original Equipment warranty. A manufacturer may not require the use of any brand of filter unless either the manufacturer provides the filter for free-of-charge under terms of the warranty or the manufacturer successfully demonstrates to the Federal Trade Commission that its product will not work properly without a specified item or service.

Outside of the United States:
    SUPERTECH® processes warranty claims on a world-wide basis. Check the terms of your Original Equipment warranty which may require the use of a specific brand of filter for a valid warranty claim and may limit or void the warranty as a result of the use or installation of other filters.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    These clips may come across as ads, but Purolator is a company that seems to take great pride in their products. I challenge anyone to find a comparable Mobil 1 oil filter clip on youtube. I doubt you would find one, because Mobil 1 is not in the business of making oil filters. Once again, that does't make them bad filters.

I suspect the Bosch Distance Plus & WIX XP may be similar to these, too. The Purolator filters have been improved in recent years. If you want to know how, they will tell you -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7TzQkY7qaI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NbWmuNLlGk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I73fnbq5arM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imb1D4F877M

If you don't think the BOSS filter is substantial, I suggest you compare the weight of it to other filters.

I am not stating Purolator filters are the best filters on the market. They have changed what they offer in recent years. I buy their cheaper ONE filter, because I think the BOSS filter is more than I need for a Mirage.

I find it interesting that MANN + HUMMEL is now associated with Mobil 1 filters. Who would you say is producing Mobil 1 oil filters now? WIX maybe?

I am not trying to annoy anyone. There are several good oil filters on the market. I tend to buy oil filters for my John Deere mower/Kawasaki Mule (same filter), Bolens G174 4WD compact diesel tractor, and two vehicles. A local Farm & Fleet has all the Purolator filters in stock & usually on sale. If I am in a pinch, I don't hesitate to buy other brand filters at times.
    Ok, but what improvement did you notice?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    No kidding? I wonder if our local Costcos check for membership at the pumps.

Another learning moment:
    I didn't know Super Tech claimed 99% efficiency on their filters. Those are some impressive numbers. Where did you find this?
    We have mandatory pump full service in NJ so it might have something to do with that? I know some other states check. Also an interesting fact is lots of states forbid requiring a membership for liquor stores so in those states you don't need a membership to go to any of the club stores liquor room.

As for the 99% they claim it right on their page.
    "High-performance media for more dirt-holding capacity and 99% filtering efficiency"
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tec...6607/506906164

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

You don't need a costco card to buy from the liquor stores here, you do for the gas stations though. They're all usually pretty busy, I'd rather spend an extra few dollars and save some time waiting in lineups.

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)