Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Oil Change thread

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Eggman,
    . . . . The Castroil Syntec is the same way. You can't really see it until there are 3 or 4 thousand miles on the oil change. I just got back from a long drive to TX by way of the FL Keys, Miami, and Cape Canaveral. I drove about 4.5K miles in 4 days. I now have over 20K miles on the Mirage. Ran great. I saw 58 MPG on one tank. My average overall for this drive was just about 40 and I had to run the A/C most of the drive. I was also running at 75 for most of the drive with some 80 MPH sections. I also run with my head lights on and this reduces my mileage by 0.6MPG.
    GOD Bless and Thanks,
    rich!

Wow, you get around! Now's a great time with less traffic on the roads I guess.

I notice the difference in fuel economy between driving with or without headlights is so unnoticeable and basically unmeasurable in the real world. Factors such as wind, traffic, weather conditions,type of wiper blades, paint color and radio station and volume are variables that also need to be taken into strong consideration.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Wow, you get around! Now's a great time with less traffic on the roads I guess.

I notice the difference in fuel economy between driving with or without headlights is so unnoticeable and basically unmeasurable in the real world. Factors such as wind, traffic, weather conditions,type of wiper blades, paint color and radio station and volume are variables that also need to be taken into strong consideration.
    Would night time affect this too?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    I'm getting my oil changed next week.. I take my 2014 Mirage to my local Ford dealer. Not sure why my local Mitsubishi dealer charges twice the prices as Ford does for a simple oil change, and basic inspection.

Only difference is at Ford ...they can't seem to reset the "service next" thing on my trip computer. So I do it, and they put a triangular Ford-Lincoln sticker for next oil service, written by hand. Like on my windshield.

They want every 5000 km's but I think that is excessive. My oil has gone pretty black at around 10,000 kms, my 1.2 L Mirage is 2014 and runs great. Bit of shakey mirrors sometimes, but that is typical of 5 speeds and higher revs on occasion.
    Not sure Ford dealerships would be the same throughout North America, but I would guess most Ford dealerships would use Motorcraft oil (unless something else was requested). Most Motorcraft oil I see in stores is a synthetic blend oil, & I don't believe a 0W-20 Motorcraft oil exists? Personally, I don't think that matters. I would, however, change a synthetic blend oil more frequently that a full synthetic oil. 5000 km (3000 mi) is sort of the old standard for oil changes in my opinion.

https://www.walmart.com/search/?quer...%20motor%20oil

Super Tech full synthetic oil cost less than half the price of Motorcraft synthetic blend oil @ my local Walmart. I surely wouldn't pay more than double for a lower quality oil.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (05-29-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I deleted my post accidentally. I'm trying to fix my typos ..endlessly.. Anyway, thanks Mark! I won't bother reposting, but say a few words here.

Yea eh I don't know, it's convenient Mark. Mitsubishi oil never gave me better fuel economy, and purely synthetic is way more money then eh, even if it lasts longer. It's just way easier to go 3 blocks to Ford than to Mitsubishi. Maybe I can request fully synthetic at Ford. I get the same fuel economy, and that's no. 1. Plus any cost savings I can get.

Like fummins said, it's adding up biggie factors like weather and road conditions, wind... etc that really count for the fuel economy numbers we all want in our Mirages and space stars and G4s.
    Last edited by dspace9; 05-29-2020 at 08:21 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

I have only ever seen full synthetic 0w20. I have a jug of synthetic blend 5w20. I can't say for sure but if dealers are like quick lube placed then I'd assume they just use bulk oil from big tanks and use whatever blend is close enough if they don't have the exact recommended/prefered choice. A bird flying blocks ahead of you will probably affect your car more than going from 0w20 to 5w30.
    I tossed some old 5w20 in my car and it made zero difference. If anything it got louder. The economy is going up like crazy due to less traffic and me not flooring it. But I'd like to think it's because I drive with my mouth closed because it's more aerodynamic. It actually seems to accelerate better at half throttle than floored, seems like the torque locks up at lower rpms. Or maybe my cvt is just slipping and hanging on by a thread
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I have only ever seen full synthetic 0w20. I have a jug of synthetic blend 5w20. I can't say for sure but if dealers are like quick lube placed then I'd assume they just use bulk oil from big tanks and use whatever blend is close enough if they don't have the exact recommended/prefered choice. A bird flying blocks ahead of you will probably affect your car more than going from 0w20 to 5w30.
    I tossed some old 5w20 in my car and it made zero difference. If anything it got louder. The economy is going up like crazy due to less traffic and me not flooring it. But I'd like to think it's because I drive with my mouth closed because it's more aerodynamic. It actually seems to accelerate better at half throttle than floored, seems like the torque locks up at lower rpms. Or maybe my cvt is just slipping and hanging on by a thread
    Yea eh, the way you describe the big bulk oil they have at the big service centres does sound the same as what the guy at the Ford dealer was saying to me. After 3 times of going to Ford and their blend, I'm getting the same fuel economy numbers. I'm lucky to live in a low-traffic area. Makes it easier to extreme MPG or whatever they call it.

I'm happy with whatever product Ford is using, seems to be good and dark golden colour at 7500 km's...might get worse way progressively faster from 8 to 10k. I dunno.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Yea eh, the way you describe the big bulk oil they have at the big service centres does sound the same as what the guy at the Ford dealer was saying to me. After 3 times of going to Ford and their blend, I'm getting the same fuel economy numbers. I'm lucky to live in a low-traffic area. Makes it easier to extreme MPG or whatever they call it.

I'm happy with whatever product Ford is using, seems to be good and dark golden colour at 7500 km's...might get worse way progressively faster from 8 to 10k. I dunno.
    Personally, I don't think it matters what oil you use. Steve is pushing 300,000 miles on 5w-30 conventional oil with 5,000 mile (approximately 8,000 km) change intervals. A synthetic blend oil like Motorcraft oil should be a step up over that.

I have switch over to Super Tech Full Synthetic (basically the same product as Amazon Basics & Kirkland) on my last oil change. I will be using 5W-30 during the summer months & 0W-20 during the winter months. I don't expect to see any performance difference. I will continue to do 5,000 mile (8,000 km) oil change intervals.

As far as price goes, Super Tech full synthetic oil ($13.97) costs $1.01 more for a same size 5-quart jug of their conventional oil ($12.96). Super Tech Full Synthetic is cheaper than other conventional oil brands.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Only done a few changes so far using idemitsu and castrol oils 0w20 with bosch filters (slight upgraded filter in their range) probably gonna go amazon/costco from here out as the prices can't be beat!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Speaking of cheap oil, anyone in Michigan or anywhere with a Meijer, their store brand synthetic oil is made by Warren, the same people who make Walmart/Amazon/Costco oil.

$4.69/1 quart
    $16.89/5 quarts for 0w20 full synthetic.