Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Oil Change thread

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts

2020 Oil Change thread

Spring is underway - a fine time for a Mirage owner's thoughts to turn to oil changes. Tell us how you are approaching your oil changes this time around. With Covid-19 upon us (and the social distancing response,) I suspect there will be some changes in how folks will go about caring for their Mirage, and we may have a bit more time to discuss it than usual.

I have been using Mobil-1 full synthetic oils and their M1-110A filters. While I have no problem with how they perform, I am tired of the Mobil-1 rebate game. Too bad Mobil doesn't just give straightforward pricing. And they have developed a great variety of products to choose from too.

From research and discussion here on the forum, I am looking at more cost-effective alternatives. Right now I'm looking at Costco's Kirkland Signature 0W-20 full synthetic by Warren Distribution. Warren Distribution makes not only Kirkland full synthetic, but Walmart's Super Tech and Amazon Basics among others.)

I'm also looking at Champ Labs PH2867XL oil filters for synthetic oils. Champ makes filters for many large and well-known private labels. Rock Auto has these synthetic filters for our cars currently priced at $3.27 each - not too shabby for a filter along the lines of the Mobil-1 M1-110A, which is made by Champ (was! see note below.) Are there any differences between the two? Here is a Champ Synthetic filter line flyer that explains the product line (also attached to this post in case the flyer ever changes or is otherwise unavailable.)

I understand that the products from Warren Distribution and Champ Labs are made in the U.S. if that means anything to anyone.

So how are you going to approach it this year? What will you use? Where are the deals? Are you deferring any maintenance? What's your favorite viscosity? Share your thoughts here.

Looking forward to hearing what everyone's up to.

Edit: Looks like Mobil went with MANN+HUMMEL for their filters this year. Last year the Mobil-1 warranty statement identified Champion Labs as providing coverage. How about that?

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Eggman; 04-26-2020 at 02:47 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (05-29-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I bought a case of AC Delco PF2057's from Rock Auto when I bought my Mirage. They were about $4.00 cdn & as a bonus they also fit the Queens Subaru. Last fall Canadian Tire had a sale on Penzoil Ultra Premium 0W-20. I can't remember what I paid, but it seemed like a deal @ the time. Also used in the Subaru. I still have ~3000 km to go, but I'll probably be doing it myself as my dealer is 45 mins away & I have a small business to run as well as work full time. It's kinda a hassle to get to the dealer for me as it works out to a couple hours off from work round trip...
    I also have to do my VW, but it takes 5 mins, 2.5 liters of good old 10w-30, & it doesn't even have an oil filter
    Last edited by klroger; 04-26-2020 at 06:03 PM.
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by klroger View Post
    I bought a case of AC Delco PF2057's from Rock Auto when I bought my Mirage. They were about $4.00 cdn
    I appreciate Rock Auto's pricing and shipping costs. The way I see it, their pricing isn't artificially inflated by a vendor's distribution & markup.

Here's Mobil's oil filter warranty statement for 2020:

Quote Originally Posted by Mobil
    Mobil 1™ Extended Performance Oil Filter limited warranty

MANN+HUMMEL Purolator Filters LLC (“MANN+HUMMEL”) provides this limited warranty to the original purchaser who use Mobil 1™ Extended Performance oil filter products manufactured or sold by MANN+HUMMEL (“Covered Products”). Covered Products are warrantied to be free from defects in material and workmanship for the duration of the original equipment recommended change interval.

This limited warranty is valid for:

• For part numbers without "A" suffix (e.g., M1-110) - Up to 1 year from the date of installation or 15,000 miles/24,000 kilometers, whichever comes first, when combined with a fully synthetic motor oil designed for your vehicle’s intended oil change interval.
    • For part numbers with "A" suffix (e.g., M1-110A) - Up to 1 year from the date of installation or 20,000 miles, whichever comes first, when combined with a fully synthetic motor oil designed for your vehicle’s intended oil change interval.

This warranty covers properly installed filters used on approved applications.

In the event of an engine or equipment failure directly caused by a Covered Product, MANN+HUMMEL will provide the lesser of the: i) restoration of the engine or equipment to a condition equivalent to that existing just prior to the failure or ii) cash payment of the fair market value of the vehicle.

This warranty does not cover any filter that: a) has been subject to misuse, neglect, negligence, accident or casualty; b) has been improperly installed; c) has been used for non-approved or non-recommended applications or if used in competitive racing, on modified high performance engines or in any aircraft or aviation application; or d) has remained in service beyond the original equipment recommended change interval. This limited warranty does not include engine condition due to: normal wear; abnormal operation; negligence; abuse; or damage from casualty, shipment or accident.

To file a claim, you must follow MANN+HUMMEL’s claims management process. Please submit claims to MANN+HUMMEL Field Services Department within 30 days after discovery of damage. MANN+HUMMEL reserves the right to examine the engine, equipment and filter to determine the amount of damage and whether such damage was caused by a defective Covered Product. Therefore, claimants must take the steps necessary to preserve the engine and/or equipment and the filter during the claims investigation period.

To initiate a claim, call +1 800 526-4250 or email: MPUS_Warranty@mann-hummel.com

How state law relates to the limited warranty

This limited warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may also have other legal rights, which vary from state to state.

THIS WARRANTY IS EXCLUSIVE OF ANY OTHER WARRANTY, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED. TO THE FULLEST EXTENT ALLOWED UNDER APPLICABLE LAW, MANN+HUMMEL DISCLAIMS ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES AND CONDITIONS AND ANY AND ALL CONSEQUENTIAL, INCIDENTAL AND SPECIAL DAMAGES. Some jurisdictions do not permit the exclusion of such warranties or damages, so this disclaimer may not apply to you.

The remedy provided here will be your only recovery against MANN+HUMMEL. You will not be able to recover incidental damages (for example, transportation costs to and from the MANN+HUMMEL representative for inspection of the equipment, loss of use, towing charges, bus fare, car rentals or other incidental damages) or consequential damages (the cost of repairing or replacing other property which was damaged because the filter was defective). Some states do not allow the exclusion of or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitation or exclusion may not apply to you.
    I thought I'd capture this warranty statement here before Mobil changes it again.

One year or 20,000 miles is quite a claim. If it were all highway miles and with the right engine oil, I could see going 20,000 miles between changes.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    . Edit: Looks like Mobil went with MANN+HUMMEL for their filters this year. Last year the Mobil-1 warranty statement identified Champion Labs as providing coverage. How about that?
    I find that interesting, because Champion Laboratories had always come up when I searched who makes Mobil 1 oil filters. I say that, because I make a conscious effort to avoid filters made by Champion Laboratories. They make a lot of the cheap filters on the market. Some may be good, but some aren't that great. One brand in particular is way overpriced, and it's one of the less impressive oil filters on the market internally in my opinion. Yet, people think they are great because of their name. A common thread is many of these filters are made by Champion Lab.

I am more drawn to oil filters associated with MANN + HUMMEL. Their brands -

https://www.mann-hummel.com/en/areas...roduct-brands/

MANN + HUMMEL's global market (other parts of the world) would be their Mann filters & Filtron filters (made in Poland). Their United States presence would be two oil filter companies located in North Carolina.

Wix's headquarters is located at Gastonia, North Carolina. If you look at their website, you see MANN +HUMMEL on the right top - https://www.wixfilters.com/AboutUS.aspx?ct=au

The second company would be - Purolator Filters (Purolator Filters LLC) is an American manufacturer of oil and air filters, based in Fayetteville, North Carolina, United States. "In 1923, Ernest Sweetland and George H. Greenhalgh patented the first automotive oil filtration system. They called their invention “Purolator”, short for the words “pure oil later”, and they began a story of quality and innovation that continues to this day."

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I wouldn't buy into Mobil 1's high mileage hype. This is just one of several reasons I have been turned off by Mobil. It's just marketing.

An oil filter on a Mirage isn't that large. Leaving it on for an extended period of time is just plain silly in my mind.

If you read their claim, Mobil 1 is not claiming you can over the manufacturer's recommended oil change intervals. It says this over & over again - "Covered Products are warrantied to be free from defects in material and workmanship for the duration of the original equipment recommended change interval."

As far as I am concerned, Mobil 1 is not sticking their neck out very far on this one.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Partsmaster 61356BP oil filter, manufactured and identical to WIX 51356.

Supertech High Mileage Syn 5w-20

7500 mile intervals
    (blank signature)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex1a1f For This Useful Post:

Eggman (04-26-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Yet, people think they are great because of their name.
    Ha! I don't share your conclusion at all. Funny because I always thought their name indicated a cheap, chintzy brand, not something great. Once I found out that Mobil used Champ Filtration XL synthetic filters, I started to take notice. Then I found I can get the Champ XL filter for a fraction of what Mobil charges, and they are made domestic, and I started to pay even more attention to Champ as a company.

I know very well of your fondness for MANN+HUMMEL, a top-notch filter company. So many filters to choose from.

Isn't there a thread that lists all the filters for our favorite little car? If not I can get one going here like the battery thread.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Ha! I don't share your conclusion at all.
    Just for the record, I wasn't referring to Mobil 1 here. It's the very high priced K&N filters also made by Champion Labs that I was referring, too. I also wouldn't conclude all Champion filter are made the same either. They make a lot of different filters. Auto Zone like selling their STP filters.

I think changing a filter frequently is more important than arguing which one is best. Fram Tough Guard & Ultra Synthetic aren't bad filters either.

Unless it has changed, there's no reference to where Mobil 1 filters are made on their products. The filters I use do have that information stamped on them. I only know that, because you once questioned me on that.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Just for the record, I wasn't referring to Mobil 1 here. It's the very high priced K&N filters also made by Champion Labs that I was referring, too. I also wouldn't conclude all Champion filter are made the same either. They make a lot of different filters. Auto Zone like selling their STP filters.
    Oh - I thought you meant the Champion name. I didn't think you were referring to Mobil or K&N especially since you hadn't mentioned K&N. Thanks for clarifying. I'm not a fan of K&N, but I know they have their fans just like Wix, Fram, MANN+HUMMEL and others.

I think changing a filter frequently is more important than arguing which one is best. Fram Tough Guard & Ultra Synthetic aren't bad filters either.
    That's one way to look at it, although as has been pointed out filters can outlast an oil change interval and still have some filtration capacity left. Using filters for more than one oil change interval would be a fun subject to discuss if you want to go over it again.

Unless it has changed, there's no reference to where Mobil 1 filters are made on their products. The filters I use do have that information stamped on them. I only know that, because you once questioned me on that.
    Yeah, I couldn't find their country of origin very easily. I found it on Mobil's warranty page last year. Wish I had saved a copy of that one.

Edit - found this warranty statement on BITOG:

Mobil Branded Filter Limited Warranty

Mobil 1 Extended Performance, Mobil 1 motorcycle oil, Mobil oil, and Mobil air and cabin air filters (collectively, the "Mobil Branded Filter"), manufactured by Champion Laboratories, Inc. ("Champion Laboratories"), are warranted to be free from defects in material and workmanship. Any Mobil 1 Extended Performance oil filter proven defective during the engine or equipment manufacturer's recommended service interval (or up to 15,000 miles of guaranteed protection when combined with fully synthetic motor oils) will be replaced at no charge by Champion Laboratories. Any Mobil 1 motorcycle oil, Mobil oil, or Mobil air and cabin air filter proven defective during the engine or equipment manufacturer's recommended service interval will be replaced at no charge by Champion Laboratories.

In the event of an engine failure directly caused by a proven defective Mobil Branded Filter, Champion Laboratories will authorize restoration of the engine or equipment to a condition equivalent to that existing just before the failure.

This limited warranty does not include engine condition due to: normal wear; abnormal operation; negligence; abuse; or damage from casualty, shipment or accident.

Claims for engine or equipment repairs provided by this limited warranty must be submitted within 30 days after discovery of the damage. Champion Laboratories reserves the right to examine the engine or equipment and filter in order to determine the amount of damage and whether it was caused by a defective Mobil Branded Filter.

To file a claim, call Champion Laboratories, Inc. at 1-800-882-0890 or by email, hotline@champlabs.com

This limited warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may also have other legal rights, which very from state to state.

The remedy provided here will be your only recovery against Champion Laboratories. You will not be able to recover incidental damages (for example, transportation costs to and from the Champion Laboratories representative for inspection of the equipment, loss of use, towing charges, bus fare, car rentals or other incidental damages) or consequential damages (the cost of repairing or replacing other property which was damaged because the filter was defective). Some states do not allow the exclusion of or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitation or exclusion may not apply to you. Mobil 1 Extended Performance Oil Filter Limited Warranty Mobil 1 Extended Performance oil filters, manufactured by Champion Laboratories, Inc. ("Champion Laboratories"), are warranted to be free from defects in material and workmanship. Any Mobil 1 Extended Performance oil filter proven defective during the engine or equipment manufacturer's recommended service interval (or up to 15,000 miles of guaranteed protection when combined with fully synthetic motor oils) will be replaced at no charge by Champion Laboratories. In the event of an engine failure directly caused by a proven defective Mobil 1 Extended Performance oil filter, Champion Laboratories will authorize restoration of the engine or equipment to a condition equivalent to that existing just before the failure. This limited warranty does not include engine condition due to: normal wear; abnormal operation; negligence; abuse; or damage from casualty, shipment or accident. Claims for engine or equipment repairs provided by this limited warranty must be submitted within 30 days after discovery of the damage. Champion Laboratories reserves the right to examine the engine or equipment and filter in order to determine the amount of damage and whether it was caused by a defective Mobil 1 Extended Performance oil filter. To file a claim, call Champion Laboratories at 1-800-882-0890 or by email, hotline@champlabs.com This limited warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may also have other legal rights, which very from state to state. The remedy provided here will be your only recovery against Champion Laboratories. You will not be able to recover incidental damages (for example, transportation costs to and from the Champion Laboratories representative for inspection of the equipment, loss of use, towing charges, bus fare, car rentals or other incidental damages) or consequential damages ( the cost of repairing or replacing other property which was damaged because the filter was defective). Some states do not allow the exclusion of or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitation or exclusion may not apply to you.
    And here is a warranty statement I found on the Wayback Machine dated July 15, 2017:

Quote Originally Posted by mobiloil.com | 15 July 2017
    Champion Laboratories, Inc. provides this limited warranty to the original purchaser who use Mobil 1™ Extended Performance oil filter products manufactured or sold by Champion Laboratories, Inc., which are warrantied to be free from defects in material and workmanship for the duration of the original equipment recommended change interval.

• For part numbers without "A" suffix (e.g., M1-110) - Up to 1 year or 15,000 miles, whichever comes first, when combined with a fully synthetic motor oil designed for your intended oil change interval.
    • For part numbers with "A" suffix (e.g., M1-110A) - Up to 1 year or 20,000 miles, whichever comes first, when combined with a fully synthetic motor oil designed for your intended oil change interval.

This warranty covers properly installed filters that meet the purchaser’s vehicle requirements.

In the event of an engine or equipment failure directly caused by a Covered Product, Champion Laboratories, Inc. will provide the lesser of the: i) restoration of the engine or equipment to a condition equivalent to that existing just prior to the failure or ii) cash payment of the fair market value of the vehicle.

This warranty does not cover any filter that: a) has been subject to misuse, neglect, negligence, accident or casualty; b) has been improperly installed; c) has been installed into an engine which is not referenced as a conforming to the purchaser’s vehicle requirements; or d) has remained in service beyond the original equipment recommended change interval. This limited warranty does not include engine condition due to: normal wear; abnormal operation; negligence; abuse; or damage from casualty, shipment or accident.

This limited warranty is valid for:

• For part numbers without "A" suffix (e.g., M1-110) - one (1) year or 15,000 miles from the date of installation, whichever comes first.
    • For part numbers with "A" suffix (e.g., M1-110A) - one (1) year or 20,000 miles from the date of installation, whichever comes first.

To file a claim, you must cooperate with Champion Laboratories, Inc.’s claims management process. Please submit claims to Champion Laboratories, Inc. within 30 days after discovery of damage. Champion Laboratories, Inc. reserves the right to examine the engine, equipment and filter to determine the amount of damage and whether such damage was caused by a defective Mobil 1 Extended Oil Performance Oil Filter. Therefore, claimants must take the steps necessary to preserve the engine and/or equipment and the filter during the claims investigation period.

To initiate a claim in the United States, call 800-882-0890 or email: claims@champlabs.com

To initiate a claim outside of the United States, call 419-293-5570 or email: claims@champlabs.com

How state law relates to the limited warranty

This limited warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may also have other legal rights, which vary from state to state.

TO THE FULLEST EXTENT ALLOWED UNDER APPLICABLE LAW, CHAMPION LABORATORIES, INC. DISCLAIMS ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES AND CONDITIONS AND ANY AND ALL CONSEQUENTIAL, INCIDENTAL AND SPECIAL DAMAGES. Some jurisdictions do not permit the exclusion of such warranties or damages, so this disclaimer may not apply to you.

The remedy provided here will be your only recovery against Champion Laboratories. You will not be able to recover incidental damages (for example, transportation costs to and from the Champion Laboratories representative for inspection of the equipment, loss of use, towing charges, bus fare, car rentals or other incidental damages) or consequential damages (the cost of repairing or replacing other property which was damaged because the filter was defective). Some states do not allow the exclusion of or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitation or exclusion may not apply to you.
    Last edited by Eggman; 04-26-2020 at 06:59 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    . I know very well of your fondness for MANN+HUMMEL, a top-notch filter company. So many filters to choose from.
    Mobil 1 is not an oil filter company. Stating that doesn't make them bad!

I noticed Purolator had improved their product line a few years ago. I associated that with the take over by MANN + HUMMEL, but that's just an assumption on my part.

I tend to buy the Purolator ONE (10,000 rated) for my vehicles, & I change oil/filters every 5,000 miles. The ONE is their mid-range oil filter. If I did longer change intervals, I would probably go with their BOSS filter.

If I am at Walmart & need a filter in a pinch, I don't hesitate to pick up a Tough Guard or Ultra Synthetic.

In the past, I've used cheap Fram filters for decades without issue, but those were also 3,000 mile oil changes back then.