Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Oil Change thread

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Ok I have the Costco Kirkland Signature 0W-20 full synthetic on order as it's not available in our warehouse. Their online ordering gives free shipping to the home and currently has a $3.00 off promotion. It might take a couple of weeks to arrive, but I'm not in a hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirageman38 View Post
    As for the 99% they claim it right on their page.
    "High-performance media for more dirt-holding capacity and 99% filtering efficiency"
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tec...6607/506906164
    I hope to find the Champ synthetic filters. If I can't get some at a reasonable price, I'll look for the Super Tech filters at a local store. Probably the only time of the year I go into a Walmart haha. Thanks for the tip on the Super Tech filters.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I usually use Mobil 1 quarts. I bought the 5 quart this time, since it was on sale, but won't buy it again. They use a foil seal (I hate that) on the 5 quart jug.
    The plastic ring is enough to ensure it's not tampered with. I had to carefully account for the foil pieces to be sure none went in my engine.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Menard’s ran a special on Quaker State awhile back. $3.75/quart rebate... I bought the maximum allowed of 18 for $2/quart after rebate. I pledge no allegiance to any oil brand. Speciality oils aside, as long as it meets the requirements it works.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tomrad View Post
    I usually use Mobil 1 quarts. I bought the 5 quart this time, since it was on sale, but won't buy it again. They use a foil seal (I hate that) on the 5 quart jug.
    The plastic ring is enough to ensure it's not tampered with. I had to carefully account for the foil pieces to be sure none went in my engine.
    Who sells 5-quart jugs that don't have a foil seal? Even cheap Super Tech has one. I removed one yesterday from a new jug. Most single quart bottles may not have seals, but aren't seals common on larger jugs?

Quote Originally Posted by tomrad View Post
    Did you use a chainsaw to remove the foil? If there isn't a tab to grab onto a pull off I just stab it with a pokey thing and peel the foil off.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    The Costco Kirkland synthetic 0W-20 arrived two days after it was ordered. Interestingly it was shipped from a Warren Distribution center about two and a half hours away. Looks like Warren Distribution purchased a plant being abandoned by Commercial Vehicle Group (CVG) and is using it as a warehouse. Nice to see that another small Ohio town isn't being left completely abandoned by business owners.

After waiting for Rock Auto to restock I ordered two of the Champ PH2867XL synthetic oil filter. Looking forward to seeing this new-to-me item. I also ordered Raybestos Element3 pads & rotors.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

inuvik (05-05-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    The Costco Kirkland synthetic 0W-20 arrived two days after it was ordered. Interestingly it was shipped from a Warren Distribution center about two and a half hours away. Looks like Warren Distribution purchased a plant being abandoned by Commercial Vehicle Group (CVG) and is using it as a warehouse. Nice to see that another small Ohio town isn't being left completely abandoned by business owners.

After waiting for Rock Auto to restock I ordered two of the Champ PH2867XL synthetic oil filter. Looking forward to seeing this new-to-me item. I also ordered Raybestos Element3 pads & rotors.
    It's interesting that the Champ PH2867XL sells for $14.35 on Amazon, & the Mobil 1 M1-110A is $9.75 on Amazon (same price as Walmart). Yet, Rock Auto sells the Champ PH2867XL ($3.27) for less $$$ than the basic Fram PH7317 ($4.73).

Wonder why the Champ oil filter reflects a low price on Rock Auto, but not Amazon?

Do Champ oil filters make any mileage claims for their products?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    It's interesting that the Champ PH2867XL sells for $14.35 on Amazon, & the Mobil 1 M1-110A is $9.75 on Amazon (same price as Walmart). Yet, Rock Auto sells the Champ PH2867XL ($3.27) for less $$$ than the basic Fram PH7317 ($4.73).

Wonder why the Champ oil filter reflects a low price on Rock Auto, but not Amazon?

Do Champ oil filters make any mileage claims for their products?
    I find Amazon prices sketchy. I needed a tube for a snowblower tire & my supplier was sold out. It was listed @ 13.00ish retail + tax from my supplier. Because I wanted to get my customer fixed, I did an amazon search. The same tube, same part #, same package was selling on amazon for $27.00 +tax. I didn't buy it obliviously, but I think sellers are taking advantage of the situation we have with COVID... Just be careful buying things from Amazon for a while... Just my thought... I only have one...
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Did you use a chainsaw to remove the foil? If there isn't a tab to grab onto a pull off I just stab it with a pokey thing and peel the foil off.
    I take 10 seconds to carefully remove the foil... problem solved. However, my friend leaves it partially attached and hanging off the side. Freaks me out every time. I’ve got a 12k ‘17 Mirage... he’s got a 40k Subaru WRX STI. Go figure.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bigdeezy For This Useful Post:

Mirageman38 (05-06-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by klroger View Post
    I find Amazon prices sketchy. I needed a tube for a snowblower tire & my supplier was sold out. It was listed @ 13.00ish retail + tax from my supplier. Because I wanted to get my customer fixed, I did an amazon search. The same tube, same part #, same package was selling on amazon for $27.00 +tax. I didn't buy it obliviously, but I think sellers are taking advantage of the situation we have with COVID... Just be careful buying things from Amazon for a while... Just my thought... I only have one...
    I've never thought of Amazon as a one stop shopping site. It's alway good to check prices elsewhere for pretty much everything.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Mirageman38 (05-06-2020)