Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weird creaking or clanking noise

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Weird creaking or clanking noise

As some of you guys know I had the engine replaced on my 2015 Mirage ES. Recently I've noticed it would make a noise when it would get started. It's gotten a bit worse as the video shows...

I'm supposed to take it to the dealer tomorrow mid morning so they can just give it a quick once over... but any ideas? doesn't seem to drive odd and I checked the bolts for the passenger side and the bottom engine mount that goes on the subframe and they're all tight.

-Karl B. No Mirages currently...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    all right so the dealer said that when they change the engine the bolt is seized into the bushing on the torque strut underneath the car and that it's best to have that replaced and it should stop the noise because the engine is just rocking back and forth too much. It'll cost $277 to fix if they fix it. They suggested calling Mitsubishi and seeing if they might cover the replacement because it was something that was a hindrance when the engine was being changed so maybe they'll cover it but who knows.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    all right so the dealer said that when they change the engine the bolt is seized into the bushing on the torque strut underneath the car and that it's best to have that replaced and it should stop the noise because the engine is just rocking back and forth too much. It'll cost $277 to fix if they fix it. They suggested calling Mitsubishi and seeing if they might cover the replacement because it was something that was a hindrance when the engine was being changed so maybe they'll cover it but who knows.
    Since this issue came up so soon after they replaced the engine, they should have just fixed it for you! If nothing else, they should be calling Mitsubishi for you. Apparently going above & beyond to satisfy a customer is not part of their make up yet?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    ...If nothing else, they should be calling Mitsubishi for you.
    Yeah...I've never heard of a Service Manager suggesting that the customer call the manufacturer to ask for help covering a part?!?

If the bolt was messed up in the engine mount (torque strut) when they pulled the engine out, did it not occur to anyone to just replaced the mount?!? I don't know what some of these Service Managers are smoking.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    I don't know what some of these Service Managers are smoking.
    Wasn't this done at Mad City???

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mitsubishi won't cover the engine mount because it's not under warranty. The dealer had to argue with them to cover replacing gaskets on things because they weren't in the best of shape after 90,000 miles while replacing the engine. I can't fault the dealer on that... the engine mounts are covered by the 5 year 50,000 mile warranty long expired on this thing. Plus, it's becoming better known that Mitsubishi doesn't like paying out warranty type claims anyway. I'm still shocked they'd replace the engine on this thing in the first place.

As for them suggesting me call them, the guy probably thought I'd have a better chance asking for it than they do since I already had a case opened with Mitsu about replacing the engine. Who knows, but he said the chance of them doing it is probably pretty low but it's worth a shot.

I'll have to see if I can even find these engine mounts aftermarket. OEM are pretty pricey. I think the mount was like $144 or something... I know if you look online it can be found for a bit over $100 from one of the discount oem parts websites but that's before shipping costs.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    ...dealer had to argue with them to cover replacing gaskets on things because they weren't in the best of shape after 90,000 miles while replacing the engine.
    OK...I forgot the back story on this one. I will revise my comments.

I'd pay for a new engine mount out of my own pocket in this case if you just got a new engine in a car with 90K miles.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah, I figure it's worth asking because it doesn't cost me anything to ask about it lol. But if they say no, I'll probably just have it done if I can't find a nice set of not ridiculous priced mounts.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Yeah, I figure it's worth asking because it doesn't cost me anything to ask about it lol. But if they say no, I'll probably just have it done if I can't find a nice set of not ridiculous priced mounts.
    Considering what little you have invested in a Mirage with a new replacement engine I wouldn't be to upset about doing some extras. It's not like you overpaid for the car, & then found this stuff out. If you add the $277, what's your total invested in this car now?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Sure would be helpful to have another Mirage to swap with. If this dogbone is causing the noise, shouldn't there be some visual clue - damage, wear, etc?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)