Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weird creaking or clanking noise

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hmm... good question. I'll be doing this from memory best I can... so let's see...

$850 for the car, $151 for plates, $150 title, $115 for tax, $60 for a set of used tires, $40 to have them installed, $50 for an alignment, $30 for wheel balance, $30 in spark plugs for the old motor which I should have taken out lol, $10 for the cabin air filter, $13 for the air filter, $60 in CVT juice to change that, $15 for headlight bulbs, $35 for aftermarket heated seats, $70 for the reflash for the TCM per the TSB to update it's software, $30 for the gloss black door trim stuff, ~$5 in cleaning supplies to clean the thing, and $10 worth of gas to tow the thing home when I bought it. Brings it to a grand total of $1724 as of now.

Registration was the biggest rip off out of anything I've had done to the car... stupid Illinois. I hate this state. But man, stuff adds up quick! I've doubled the amount I've spent on it in the first place and then some. Granted, not everything was because it had to get done (heated seats and the nicer trim for the door panels) but I'd like to think I'm doing okay on it thus far.

-Karl B. 2015 Mirage DE CVT Utility Machine (and lots of other cars)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Sure would be helpful to have another Mirage to swap with. If this dogbone is causing the noise, shouldn't there be some visual clue - damage, wear, etc?
    I almost thought about taking one off one of the other cars but it's been constantly raining here so I don't want to be outside in this crap. Plus, the bolt is seized into the metal piece of the mount on the car... I don't want to deal with fighting with that garbage laying on my back. Yuck.

The dealer pulled in another Mirage to see how much the engine is rocking compared to mine... mine is worse because the dog bone is worn out and unhappy... which is why things are making noise from the engine moving back and forth too much.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    Hmm... good question. I'll be doing this from memory best I can... so let's see...

$850 for the car, $151 for plates, $150 title, $115 for tax, $60 for a set of used tires, $40 to have them installed, $50 for an alignment, $30 for wheel balance, $30 in spark plugs for the old motor which I should have taken out lol, $10 for the cabin air filter, $13 for the air filter, $60 in CVT juice to change that, $15 for headlight bulbs, $35 for aftermarket heated seats, $70 for the reflash for the TCM per the TSB to update it's software, $30 for the gloss black door trim stuff, ~$5 in cleaning supplies to clean the thing, and $10 worth of gas to tow the thing home when I bought it. Brings it to a grand total of $1724 as of now.

Registration was the biggest rip off out of anything I've had done to the car... stupid Illinois. I hate this state. But man, stuff adds up quick! I've doubled the amount I've spent on it in the first place and then some. Granted, not everything was because it had to get done (heated seats and the nicer trim for the door panels) but I'd like to think I'm doing okay on it thus far.
    Some of those costs you shared would be there for any car added to a person's fleet of cars. I don't think it's uncommon to have some follow up work needed to be done after an engine replacement.

I was warned to watch for a few things after major work was done on my Forester. My 2011 Forester had it short block replaced @ 90,000 miles in October of 2018 (6-weeks @ dealership). Following spring of 2019, they detected a slight head gasket oil leak. That meant pulling the engine out again to fix (another 5-weeks @ dealership). My costs were $0, & they did provide me with a new Outback loaner both times. Bottom line - it took 11-weeks to get it right. I never really complained, because I appreciated the issue being addressed. Patience is a virtue that I needed work on anyways.
    Last edited by Mark; 04-30-2020 at 12:46 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    6 weeks for an engine replacement? Dang. The Mirage was done in less than a week. I didn't have a loaner but they dropped me off and picked me up.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    6 weeks for an engine replacement? Dang. The Mirage was done in less than a week. I didn't have a loaner but they dropped me off and picked me up.
    Does that speak to how busy Subaru service departments have been replacing engines?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Only $277 from a Mitsu dealership? That's about what they charge for a spark plug right?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    They were up front & honest about it. I didn't expect it to take that long, but I was told they only allow their top mechanic to do those jobs, & he was having some family issues with a young child at home. It's another reasons I was understanding at the time. They wanted to do the job right, and they were having some issues. I appreciated their honesty, & I was given a free loaner vehicle. On top of that, I bought my Forester used from a Milwaukee dealership, & the Madison dealership was closer & more sincere in helping out.

I was told 7 more Forester engines replacements were in line to be done after mine when I picked it up the first time. I like my Forester, but I don't think I will ever buy another boxer engine. From everything I have heard, the old 2.2 L were bullet proof. The newer stuff (2.0L & 2.5L) not so much.

It's part of the reason I bought a cheap Mirage. I didn't want to use my Forester as my daily driver any more. There are times when I really do need it, however. I use a trailer a lot, and it's a beast climbing snow covered ridge roads in the winter.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Only $277 from a Mitsu dealership? That's about what they charge for a spark plug right?
    Yes, that's from a Mitsu dealer hahaha.

And Mark, I totally agree... the old 2.2L was a great engine from 90-96. I made the mistake of buying a WRX a long time ago and what a pile of garbage that car was. I'll never buy a Subaru again.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Yeah, I figure it's worth asking because it doesn't cost me anything to ask about it lol. But if they say no, I'll probably just have it done if I can't find a nice set of not ridiculous priced mounts.
    How about wrecking yards?? If the car was rear ended, the mounts should still be OK???
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to klroger For This Useful Post:

Fummins (04-30-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Well, I found a full set of three aftermarket mounts online for around $145. I'd probably order that and just change them all out at once and have fresh components. The wrecking yard alternative would work but they are kind of funny sometimes about parts like that either not selling them or wanting a lot since they'd have to lift up the car to pull it off.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Dodge Aries K For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (05-01-2020)