Thread: Hi to all

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Post Hi to all

I am Jan, a disabled retired automotive instructor/mechanic/technician. My opinion is that I like this car.

I live in a suburb of Indianapolis, known to some as the Crossroads of America. There is more to Indianapolis than the "500". We moved here in 1985 from up state Indiana and have never looked back. There are lots of opportunities for everyone here. We have around one to two million people if you add in the donut counties surrounding the big city.

I was gainfully employed as an automotive instructor, my primary focus was Air Conditioning, Heating and the multitude of electrical accessories that are on today's vehicles.

In late 2010, my back went out. I had three back surgeries, but my pain continues. In 2013 I underwent a successful trial of a stimulator that helps control the pain. Electro-stimulation is the most advanced technology I have ever encountered. It really helped and now I am on the waiting list for a permanent installation surgery.

My personal experience with Mitsubishi cars and trucks stems from two vehicles. I had an 1985 Mitsu Truck that I purchased from a bank for $242.00. The engine was broke and I fixed it. Someone attempted to adjust the valves and left one of the adjusters loose. As the engine ran the adjuster got caught between the camshaft and the cylinder head (most cars now have auto adjusting valves thanks to hydraulics). I got the head welded, cleaned all the gunk out of the engine block and the truck ran smooth as glass. The 2.6 liter had counter rotating balance shafts that removed all the shake created by that big four. I sold the truck the following fall and made money on it.

Then I purchased a Mitsu Mirage, 1987 2-door that was bone stock, no radio, no power steering, no power brakes. The four speed was on the base model. I added a stereo radio and two speakers. The Mirage was a great car, light and easy to park, insure, and it was surprisingly roomy for as small as it was. We drove this vehicle for the next thirteen years. My daughters nickname it the Blue Shoe, it fit them so well and you feel in control of it.

My interest in the 2014 Mirage for the new technology, mileage and style. I can't wait to see it in person. I still miss my Mirage. It had character and verve that other cars simply lacked. You felt like it could communicate with you, telling it where it was, what was happening at that very moment. Most cars today feel like an appliance. Granted they work well but there is no soul in them. These cars are not spirited or exude a confident feeling.

In closing, I have always loved Japanese cars. They are easier to work on than most American cars (though the US cars have a lot of foreign influence anymore). The three cylinder should be a hoot to drive and with less weight the New Mirage should be spritely. Sincerely Jan D.O.G. (Disabled Old Guy).

Hi Jan. Welcome to the forum!

I grew up in a suburb of Toronto, and we were partners with Indianapolis for a Canada/US "friendship games" each year. I remember it as a kid, people would come from Indiana or our kids would go there. I didn't go personally. Been a long time since then, but I met someone from Indianapolis last summer who remembered it too.

We should be getting more tidbits about the US Mirage over the next few months before it's shown in New York. Of course we still don't know if it's going to be called Mirage! (I've done a bit of digging and next week I'll post about that issue.)

cheers
    Darin

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Australia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Hi Jan welcome and hope your time here is great.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Welcome to the site. Its always interesting to hear the opnion from an owner of a previous generation vehicle.

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)