Thread: Mirage: makes an ideal car for surviving the Zombie Apocalypse (Quality Mitsubishi)

Mirage: makes an ideal car for surviving the Zombie Apocalypse (Quality Mitsubishi)

AutoGuide.com
    recently dissed the Mirage as a car that would be unsuitable for escaping the inevitable Zombie Apocalypse. Not surprisingly, their argument against the Mirage focused on power.

WRONG!

The folks at Quality Mitsubishi in Littleton, Colorado saw AutoGuide's piece as lacking, and produced a 5-point rebuttal (which AutoGuide gracefully acknowledged, to their credit). In summary:

1) 74 hp is just fine because the car weighs so little. Power to weight, baby!

2) The CVT adapts to driving style, so will favour power & responsiveness when demanded, and fuel economy when not.

3) The Mirage's stellar fuel economy will be a bonus when the gas stations start running out of fuel.

4) Inexpensive to buy means money left over to buy a yacht and escape to sea (and the car is light enough to bring aboard!)

5) Decent ground clearance means getting through debris and obstacles

Nicely done, Quality Mitsu!

Read their full blog entry here: 5 Reasons Why We Will Survive the Zombie Apocalypse (and the Folks at AutoGuide Won’t)

AutoGuide's original Zombie article: http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...pocalypse.html

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

fanfare (04-06-2014),Mikhail (04-07-2014)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    5 more reasons to buy a Mirage. Thanks for posting!

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Ground clearance is pretty low standard, I have to watch where I park or I will take the front bumper off.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Point 4 is not really important as most will be dead anyway and you can just switch cars as you like as long as you find the key or a way to start it without a key. So remember folks, when looking for a new vehicle to USE (not stealing since the owner's probably became zombie anyway) get a Mirage!

Point 5 I agree with Mistah, I'm having trouble with the high speed bumps around my area of living, my front bumper keeps on scrapping a piece of it everyday.
    What you really need is a power splitter in front of the bumper to cut your way through and not allowing dead bodies to go under your car.

Last but not least .... I have this sticker on my car:
    Name:  Zombie Outbreak Response Team 4 - Large.jpg
Views: 1200
Size:  82.0 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Haha, worth a good laugh. Thanks Darin.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Irony

The thing about car reviewers, it seems, is that they aren't really ever satisfied. 74hp isn't fast enough, they say. Then, they go on to say that 265 hp in a Porsche Boxster isn't enough. They finally get enough power at 700, but start whining about ground clearance. Some people just choose to be unhappy and get their brains eaten by the undead (though with logic that suggests a Porsche Boxster isn't fast enough to outrun a dead person, on foot, maybe it would be more of an amuse-bouche for the Zombies than a full meal deal!)

Something in the rebuttal intrigued me - this: "The Mitsubishi CVT uses a microchip called the INVECS-III that monitors the driving style of the driver and caters the shift points of the CVT to his/her driving style."

I'll start a new thread - but I am curious how this works.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)