Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lighter Aluminum Parts, carbon fiber.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by YiffyAki View Post
    If you strip it you'll be under 2k pounds which is already ridiculously light.
    You don't have to "strip" a Mirage to get below 2k. Mine's just a touch over 1900 and the only obvious things missing from my car are the back seat and the rear wiper. I've also got lighter wheels, a much lighter battery, lighter flywheel, and removed the front swaybar. But, I have complete interior, air conditioning, and every other option that the car came with.

1900 is an easy target. Pull the rest of the interior and the side windows and you'd probably hit 1800.

Oh, and Fummins... as janky as all that front-clip swapping sounds... you can't deny that it would be huge fun to drive!

Simplify and add lightness.

Hell yeah it would be! I do like sleepers.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Puerto Rico
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    The oversea's swaps have the front end chopped off at the firewall and had the fenders and front bumper mounts modified to make them fit the lancer structure. Sounds like a pita. It's not as simple as just bolting in an engine with one extra cylinder. It's more like cut front end of old car and weld front end of lancer on, use rubber bands to hold body panels on, use a bunch of blue and red butt connectors, colored wire loom and zip ties that aren't trimmed, route all the wiring poorly and say it's just temporary(we know it isn't) and voila you have yourself a modified import! Oh almost forgot about stickers the more the better, extra points for stickers from mfg that don't even produce anything that fits the car or ones for energy drinks that make it more extreme.
    Yeah but that's a 2.0L 4B11 with DOHC heads. Of course they're gonna need to cut the firewall and all of that. But there's actually a 4B10 that has a much better chance of fitting. It's a 1.6L DOHC. Nobody's tried that one, nobody's tried a 4G93 (1.8L SOHC 120hp) and nobody's tried a 4G15 (1.5L DOHC 120hp) Which is used on other Mitsubishi micro cars like the Dingo and even has a turbo version in the Colt CZT with comparable hood room. All because they're all going for the biggest they can cram. I have measured the 4G93 and it would take very little modding to get it in there. It will fit no touching the firewall. Just the mounts are different but they mount at about the same position.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Wouldn't it be far easier to install a 6B3 V6? Same length as the 3A92. Of course it's wider than the inline 3 cylinder but it's the same length.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Puerto Rico
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Wouldn't it be far easier to install a 6B3 V6? Same length as the 3A92. Of course it's wider than the inline 3 cylinder but it's the same length.
    That brings back that firewall issue but it might baaaaarely clear. I've thought about the 6A10 which is a 1.6L V6. Mitsubishi owns the smallest mass produced V6 in the world. Just gotta make sure it's from a 95-2000 Lancer. I believe in Australia is where these lil engines thrived but I could be wrong. Its very rare sadly but It would be amazing though.