Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lighter Aluminum Parts, carbon fiber.

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Lightbulb Lighter Aluminum Parts, carbon fiber.

So again, here I am with weight reduction and an idea popped in my head. Why not have reinforced aluminum parts such as the subframe, control arms, sway bars, and the rear suspension components. Aluminum is much lighter than steel, but I know it isn't as strong. Even though the Mirage is a light car, I wonder if a such thing could be accomplished. I figured aluminum could be strengthened by heat treatment or something. That would be cool.

Carbon fiber parts, there is a hood, bonet I know of that is made by RSTYLE. Be nice to make the doors out of carbon fiber as well. The front doors weigh over 50 pounds which is shocking to me! Yes. I weighed them (Picture Below). Even in the doors I have lighter speakers, no sound deadening, and tiny mirrors. I haven't weighed the rear yet, so I'll guess around 35 pounds. The hatch door I haven't weighed either and I know it's a big chunk of weight. Fenders? Wouldn't be much, but at least they wouldn't dent as thin as the metal is!

Lighter front seats as well? They weigh 29.4 pounds. That's not too bad. But I know there is lighter such is SPEEDSICK RACING SEATS. Shows they weigh 13 pounds per seat.

Thoughts? I had tonsil surgery today (which went well) and I'm just bored and just wanted something to do if that's alright with you guys. I really appreciate the comments and I enjoy reading them!

Attached Images Attached Images   

I haven't weighed the rear hatch but I'm positive they weigh noticeably less than a front door. The most gain would probably be from trimming off what you could from the doors, lexan windows. But if you're gonna do that might as well just unbolt them and see how long you can drive without them without being pulled over lol.
    I'd remove things like the spare tire, carpet and rear seats out before removing things that are there to protect you in an accident. Smafety third.

I assume you've read this thread? https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...ar-Seat-Delete

EDIT: You could always just take a big dump before driving. That might be an easy weight reduction plan?
    Last edited by Fummins; 05-05-2020 at 01:36 PM.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Weight

I've thought about Lexan windows since they are light and super strong. My back seats were removed a long time ago. Thanks.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You know how they chop cars in half and make them into stretch versions? Maybe you could chop the Mirage in half and make a micro 2 door version! I am sure that could drop some more weight!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mirageman38 For This Useful Post:

mohammad (08-25-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hahaha now that's funny! Smart Mirage!

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Cool My 2 door Mirage sketch

Here is a a sketch of my 2 door Mirage. Looks like the Scion IQ. Here is the cool thing, I serviced that car too. Changed the oil and rotated the tires. As little as that car is, I'm surprised the fuel economy isn't as good as I would think. Pretty roomy for a tiny thing. But here you go guys. I thought you'd get a kick out if this! Lol

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gnestovia For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (05-07-2020),Mirageman38 (05-07-2020),mohammad (08-25-2022)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Might be too little too late.. but depending on which trim your Mirage is, changes the weight. So I know my ES 2014 Mirage, with no Air Conditioning, no bluetooth, 5 speed manual.. ie no gizmos, is probably the lightest Mirage that rolled out of the Mitsubishi factory.

I'm pretty sure automatic transmission alone adds 150 lbs..

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That is true. But AC is a luxury. Really wouldn't make a MPG difference since the pulley is free spinning when the compressor isn't on. And the compressor is like 9 pounds or something? Nah. I'll pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnestovia View Post
    That is true. But AC is a luxury. Really wouldn't make a MPG difference since the pulley is free spinning when the compressor isn't on. And the compressor is like 9 pounds or something? Nah. I'll pass.
    Plus the condenser, evaporator, extra button on the dash, probably another fuse and relay, ac lines.
    How about removing the front and rear bumper rebar? The rear just unbolts, the front is spot welded to the rad support. The a pillars are pretty bulky, time for some speed holes.

Do you already have an aftermarket steering wheel? If so might as well pull the rest of the airbags out and save a bunch oh weight. They didn't have standard seat belts or collapsible steering columns in the 50's so why airbags right? Just wear a helmet and pretend your on a motorcycle.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

mohammad (08-25-2022),poorman1 (05-07-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yes the steering wheel is aftermarket. But idk if I should go all the way with the risk of my safety. Even tho the aftermarket steering wheel has no air bag. But still a helmet pretty much does the same thing. I just don't want to sound stupid that's all.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Gnestovia For This Useful Post:

mohammad (08-25-2022)