Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My used Mirage review after 6 months and 4700 km / 2900 miles

My used Mirage review after 6 months and 4700 km / 2900 miles

My 2014 Mirage went to its new home yesterday. It performed admirably as my winter beater for the last 6 months.

I made a few bucks on the sale: I got it for a decent price "as-is" back in November, did a few mechanical repairs, some minor bodywork, and it tidied up quite nicely.

Random thoughts after 6 months of ownership:

- WORST car ever!
    Dangerously underpowered, terrible handling, low-rent plasticky interior, 1990's styling. Haha, just kidding!

- Status! This was the newest car I've ever owned, and arguably the nicest (in terms of amenities). Ironic, given its winter beater role.

- Reliability: Even at 149k kms / 93k miles, zero problems. I appreciated being able to jump in and head out on a trip without wondering in the back of my mind what breakdown I should be prepared for. (My other cars are between 20 and 30 years old.)

- Build: it was surprisingly solid-feeling and rattle-free. Reminded me of a Toyota Echo I once owned, which was notable for its quality feel among the many subcompacts I've owned.

- Rust: that said, this car is very prone to rust. Probably more so than any car I've owned. Non-desert-dwelling people, get your Mirages rust-proofed!

- Suspension: I surprised myself by coming to appreciate the hilarious 1970's Cadillac-soft suspension. I thought I've always preferred a firm riding, tight-handling car. Must be getting old! I'm not even sure I'd add a rear stabilizer bar.

- Steering: I remember the steering being much more "sticky" on-center in the various 2014 Mirages that I drove when new. (That was a fairly common complaint in reviews of the car.) This one was fine. I wonder if the intervening 145,000 km of driving loosened it up?

- The trip computer / MID user interface is idiotic. There has to be some technical limitation to explain why it's as bad as it is. EG. the "hidden" fuel economy "B" gauge, and the inability to switch between units without resetting one of the MPG gauges.

- Transmission: The 1st to 2nd gear shift was slightly problematic ("chunky/notchy") when the gearbox was cold and the ambient temp was below about 5C / 41F. The notchiness would go away after driving a couple of km, but it really needs different gear oil.

- Comfort (subjective): I mostly used the car on the highway, and it needs an arm rest solution on BOTH sides. The height of the door arm rest was useless for me.

- Comfort (subjective): the 6-way adjustable seat had just enough thigh support, but I would have preferred more. I 100% get why some people complain - justifiably - about the comfort of the 4-way seat. The headrest angle is also a bit bizarre - I flipped mine around backwards.

- Fuel economy was as great as I expected, even though I joked about the giant 1.2L engine being a fuel-sucking pig compared to my Metro/Firefly. (I'm looking forward to doing even more mods to the next one.)

- My only regret is that I didn't get a chance to see its warm weather MPG performance with all the mods in place. In summer conditions, I'm pretty confident it'd be good for 70+ MPG (3.4 L/100 km) round trips in my typical usage.

- Features: The only "top trim" option I'll miss if/when I get a base model is cruise control. Fortunately, we can add cruise ourselves. I can do without air, power windows/locks, remote etc.

---

To sum up, I will definitely be getting another Mirage.

(If I had lots of money, I would even consider buying a new one! )

The fact is, I never cancelled my Kijiji e-mail alerts. Even while I owned this one, I've been watching for the next opportunity. Another good one will come up again. Hopefully before next winter.

UPDATE: I found my next Mirage!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Daox (05-12-2020),Eggman (05-12-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Maybe you will find a base ES model for your next Mirage. Lucky you didn't notice rattles... mine has the passenger airbag/glovebox area rattle, as well as the rear hatch rattles. My Mirage is bad for interior rattles.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Is it a winter rattle problem or year-round?

I've had a few cars that squeaked and rattled in the cold, but were fine otherwise.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Seems to come and go, doesn't seem to be the weather that causes the rattles. I live with it!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 667 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Is it a winter rattle problem or year-round?

I've had a few cars that squeaked and rattled in the cold, but were fine otherwise.
    My 1.0L Suzuki Swift (Metro) rattled constantly just about everywhere in winter, but did not at all in summer. That was posted in TeamSwift years ago. The temperature coefficient of PP is rather high, almost as high as plexiglass. It shrinks and hardens in the cold, and expands and softens with warmth.
    This car has no rattles.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (05-12-2020)

Also: my Mirage came with this quality assurance inspection sticker. Thus no rattles.

Name:  assembly-inspection.jpg
Views: 928
Size:  38.3 KB

Did yours?

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 667 Posts
    Also: my Mirage came with this quality assurance inspection sticker. Thus no rattles.

Did yours?
    Nope!

Maybe I should put up a thread in a few months something like " after six years and 100 000km...
    Last edited by foama; 05-12-2020 at 07:09 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,532 Times in 1,467 Posts
    People, get your Mirages rust-proofed!
    Definitely. If you have access to oil-based rustproofing (like Krown) just do it!

...my Mirage came with this quality assurance inspection sticker.
    Hmmm...I guess the person doing front end alignment inspections was out sick the day my car was assembled...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Ha.

I just realized: I should have kept the sticker to put on my next one... Quality talisman.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,684 Times in 2,103 Posts
    [IMG]

To sum up, I will definitely be getting another Mirage.

(If I had lots of money, I would even consider buying a new one! )
    You won't find as basic of a Mirage in 2020, because auto-climate controls became standard in all North American Mirages. Along with auto-climate controls comes A/C as standard. Looks like you can still have crank rear windows and avoid remote locks buying a new 2020 Mirage. A/C has always been standard here.

Last year we had 5 trim levels (ES, RF, LE, SE, GT) in the States, & now we are back down to 4 trim levels (ES, LE, SE, GT). As far as I am concerned, none of them are basic.