Thread: Buying a Used Mirage? Things to Look For / Common Problems

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Buying a Used Mirage? Things to Look For / Common Problems

There is lots of good info spread throughout this forum, I thought I would summarize some of the major issues / failure points in one place for any prospective buyers.

2013-2014

-Some early models have intermittent starter grind which will only get worse over time. ~$2000-$3000 [Forum Search --> "starter grind"]

2013-2015

-Partially plugged heater cores can cause weak heat on passenger side. ~$1000

2017+

-Power window motor comes loose?

Not sure what model years are affected by the following:

-Rear "axle" out of alignment from the factory on some cars. The whole assembly must be replaced or you'll burn through tires. I'm not sure if this was resolved in the newer model years. $1000ish out of warranty? Not sure. [Forum Search --> "rear alignment"]

-Clutch cable on manual cars can corrode and snap prematurely. Cheap/easy fix but something to be aware of as it can leave you stranded.

My Experience:

I've had a 2015 manual for 5 years now, no issues other than the rear "axle" replaced under warranty. We were considering a 2014 CVT for my mom, but unless the rear alignment and starter grind were resolved by the previous owner, I think we will pass on it.

Please let me know if there is anything I should add to the list. Overall these seem to be pretty reliable, but it's good to know the major issues / failure points as a used car buyer.

Last edited by anog; 05-14-2020 at 01:10 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 42.7 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.2 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to anog For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (05-13-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Early cars have heater cores that partially plug up, resulting in weak heat on the passenger side. It was fixed by 2017, and earlier cars could have it fixed under warranty if it was caught in time.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

anog (05-14-2020),Top_Fuel (05-13-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,532 Times in 1,467 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Early cars have heater cores that partially plug up, resulting in weak heat on the passenger side.
    I almost forgot about that one. If you live in a climate where winter temps approach 0 or below, this can be a serious problem. It's a big job that will cost you $1,000 if you have to pay someone to do it.

This is just my opinion...and I own a 2015. If you are shopping for a used Mirage, buy a 2017+ if you can. Better suspension, brakes, a handful of more hp, a facelift, and maybe a few smaller improvements. You can also find them without automatic climate control...which some of us see as a positive thing.

There's no reason to avoid a manual transmission Mirage unless you think the previous owner beat the crap out of it (I probably wouldn't buy Loren's used 5-speed...). The clutch cable is a cheap/easy fix. I already bought a replacement and I keep it in the car when/if I ever need it.

Again...just my opinion... (really hope Dirk isn't reading this!). I'm not sure how much confidence I would have in buying a used Mirage with a CVT that has no power-train warranty. If the transmission craps out, repairing/replacing it could exceed the value of the car. If you're looking at a used CVT car with higher miles on it, the owner better have some proof of maintenance or I would keep looking.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

inuvik (05-13-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Things to look for?

One of the first things I look at on a Mirage is the tires. They should match (same brand/size)...and have even tread wear. A Mirage with a brand new set of tires can be a good selling point...but not if the owner just slapped on a set of $30 Kung Pao specials to cover up the car's alignment issues.
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 05-13-2020 at 02:12 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    2017 and up have 2 issues I am aware of................

Rattling exhaust noise noticed on acceleration. Worn exhaust hangers.
    Power window motor coming loose on any door after extended use. Loctite fixes issue.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny Mullet For This Useful Post:

Fummins (05-13-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by anog View Post
    There is lots of good info spread throughout this forum, I thought I would summarize some of the major issues / failure points in one place for any prospective buyers.

2013/2014 specific:

-Some early models have intermittent starter grind which will only get worse over time. If this wasn't taken care of during the initial 5-yr warranty period, I got a rough estimate of $2000-$3000 + tax from my local service advisor. [Forum Search --> "starter grind"]

Hey anog, I had the same starter issue. Did you get yours fixed by Mitsubishi then? There is a recall for this issue.. Sounds like you know all about it So anyways Mitsubishi says they sunk over 3 grand into my Mirage to replace the starter and flywheel setup.

My car runs great now. But I had issues with the starter from 2014-2019. Broken record here, saying thanks to the Forum for posting the recall, and saving me thousands!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

Eggman (05-13-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks everyone for the replies so far. I'll continue to update the original post as needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Again...just my opinion... (really hope Dirk isn't reading this!). I'm not sure how much confidence I would have in buying a used Mirage with a CVT that has no power-train warranty. If the transmission craps out, repairing/replacing it could exceed the value of the car. If you're looking at a used CVT car with higher miles on it, the owner better have some proof of maintenance or I would keep looking.
    I agree. I was looking at a 2014 CVT with 52,000 miles, asking $5400. My mom is currently looking for a new car in the 20k range, thought I would try to save her some money. But considering she refuses to learn stick, maybe it's best she just get a new car. I'd hope that the CVT and engine would have a decent amount of life left at 52k, but between my distrust for CVT's and the starter grind issue, I don't want to risk it.

Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Hey anog, I had the same starter issue. Did you get yours fixed by Mitsubishi then? There is a recall for this issue.. Sounds like you know all about it So anyways Mitsubishi says they sunk over 3 grand into my Mirage to replace the starter and flywheel setup.

My car runs great now. But I had issues with the starter from 2014-2019. Broken record here, saying thanks to the Forum for posting the recall, and saving me thousands!
    Was it officially a recall then? From what I read on here, all I could find was a TSB. It sounded to me like you would have to pay out of pocket. Was yours fixed under recall, warranty or good will?

I didn't have this issue on my 2015 manual, I only asked for a rough quote on repairs because I was considering buying a 2014 CVT which would likely have this issue.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 42.7 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Thanks everyone for the replies so far. I'll continue to update the original post as needed.

I agree. I was looking at a 2014 CVT with 52,000 miles, asking $5400. My mom is currently looking for a new car in the 20k range, thought I would try to save her some money. But considering she refuses to learn stick, maybe it's best she just get a new car. I'd hope that the CVT and engine would have a decent amount of life left at 52k, but between my distrust for CVT's and the starter grind issue, I don't want to risk it.

Was it officially a recall then? From what I read on here, all I could find was a TSB. It sounded to me like you would have to pay out of pocket. Was yours fixed under recall, warranty or good will?

I didn't have this issue on my 2015 manual, I only asked for a rough quote on repairs because I was considering buying a 2014 CVT which would likely have this issue.
    Bought my used 2014 CVT at 40k miles and the first thing I did was get the CVT serviced. It runs great, rear axle is slightly out of spec, but nothing crazy. Dont be so quick to write of the JATCO CVT7. This is the type of car its perfectly suited for and the market for repairing is really starting to open up. My Aamco guy said depending on what happened to cvt, it can be repaired for as little as $1300. He also said he rarely sees any Mitsubishis come in for premature CVT failure and keep in mind this is in Atlanta, where there 3 big Mitsu dealerships and alot of them on the road around here. Check the fluid in the cvt, more than likely it's just fine with such a low amount of miles on it. That's a good price.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    ...I was looking at a 2014 CVT with 52,000 miles, asking $5400.
    ...My mom is currently looking for a new car in the 20k range...
    If your mom doesn't need a new car immediately, she needs to sit back and wait for a couple of months of horrific car sales numbers (don't worry...they're coming). I think we're going to see rebates and incentives trending upward for the rest of this year.

Would I buy a used Mirage right now? Probably not...unless it was a fire sale price. Before the summer is done, I bet you will be able to buy a new Mirage (with a CVT) for close to $10K. And that car will have a 10 year/100K mile powertrain warranty. Unless you are on a serious budget, why mess with a used 5-6 year old Mirage for $5k at that point?

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    If her budget is 20 grand she can get a brand new Eclipse Cross.Name:  Screenshot_20200509-144009_Samsung Internet.jpg
Views: 6176
Size:  97.6 KB