Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Toyota Fanboys: New cars vs Old cars Toyota reliability

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    930,000 km's. That's pretty good. I was reading a review for the new RAM diesel on driving.ca or whatever, national post driving section. Anyway their new exhaust cleaning system thing on the Ram sounds too complicated. And like a $70,000 truck. And I think American vehicles rust out the worst. My old landlord swore by Ram Laramie's, but he was a millionaire lol.

Tacoma is a good way to go with a truck. Keeping it simple. You see them driving around in the desert, so they must be reliable.

Edit my neighbour lent me his Tacoma a few times, I'm not sure if it's a 2005 or a 2014, you can't even tell in those things.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    930,000 km's. That's pretty good. I was reading a review for the new RAM diesel on driving.ca or whatever, national post driving section. Anyway their new exhaust cleaning system thing on the Ram sounds too complicated. And like a $70,000 truck. And I think American vehicles rust out the worst. My old landlord swore by Ram Laramie's, but he was a millionaire lol.

Tacoma is a good way to go with a truck. Keeping it simple. You see them driving around in the desert, so they must be reliable.

Edit my neighbour lent me his Tacoma a few times, I'm not sure if it's a 2005 or a 2014, you can't even tell in those things.
    Yeah, l'm not denying they are reliable as well, l'm just saying thank goodness we all have a choice on which car to buy...l told him if my Mirage doesn't last me 3 years l will buy a Scion TC or Toyota Camry...l don't mind Toyota either, l just mind the wackos that force the brand down my throat...think about this...if l didn't buy the Mirage...it wouldn't have led me to this forum and l wouldn't have made such awesome friends Again, like Fummins said, l get that Toyota are reliable, but so can other companies for me-l'm not a truck guy or SUV guy so the Tacoma, Tundra, Rav4, and 4Runner aren't for me...l'll stick with the Mirage and then if need be l'll go with the Sion TC (Scion TC has a Toyota Corolla Engine and Transmission) Thanks for all the replies

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    They can be reliable, I won't deny that. It's your money. Sounds like the guy has issues and should work in a junkyard. I worked with enough weirdo's and crack heads for my liking. Got in a fight with one of them twice. Both times in front of customers..... I broke his nose the first time. Second time he sucker punched me and I think mine broke lol Good times. He got fired the after round two. Other guys tipp towed around the guy trying not to piss him off....

With that said, one of my uncles posted on facecrack over the weekend that his Tacoma now has 930,000kms(577,000miles) on it and still going.
    That's awesome to see him go 577,000 miles....l know a couple of people who had Tacoma's and one in particular had 2 transmission replacements. Don't know if he drove it hard or what but you're uncle also probably drives good and takes care of his car...l can be a little bit of a lead foot so a toyota tacoma would probably last me only half of that mileage lol. Like l said next car will probs be a Scion TC. Have never driven a coup before and like that the Scion TC Base model has paddle shifters...weird how l love manual but in 10 years when my Mirage is done l will want an Automatic. l guess l'll see what the hub-bub is about with reliability when l get a Scion later on.

Quote Originally Posted by MirageRally View Post
    Yeah, if he persists l will go to HR...l get it, he wants me to buy a reliable car that l won't have to repair...
    Show him Steve's 300+k mile Mirage thread (including meticulous maintenance history).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Fummins (06-18-2020),MirageRally (06-22-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My friend is driving me to drink (Ironically for me because l don't drink anything but water lol) with his "Toyota are better than every car" mentality...when l worked as a entry level service tech, we saw all cars come in and get worked on, even Toyotas with blown engines and transmissions...l do agree that a Toyota can last longer than most, but like everything, it's a car-it will break eventually....argh...sorry, just wanted to get my rant over with....Now any car can last for only as long as you want to put into it....any advice l should give him?
    The mirage is reliable and the legacy non turbo Mitsu, but the rest are beat by Toyota by a wide margin. I for one drive the Civic and found it to be ok, but the quality is far worst than any mitsu I have owned. I would get a toyota next mainly for parts being 1/3 of any mitsu even from the dealer!
    mitsu's in the family

2024 Mirage SE

2021 Mirage ES CVT (Sold)
    2021 Outlander Sport 2.0 ES CVT (trade in)
    2018 Mirage G4 1.2 ES CVT (ex wife's car, crashed)
    2017 Mirage G4 1.2 ES CVT Smartphone Link Display Audio (SDA) System(Crashed)
    2015 Lancer SE 2.4 AWC (sold)
    2014 Mirage DE 1.2 Manual and BT (sold)
    2004 Galant DE (mom's sold)
    2000 Mirage DE 1.8 Auto (sold)
    1988 Cordia L Turbo (trade in)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage G4 ES CVT 1.2 automatic: 42.0 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.4 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to remusrm For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (07-12-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by remusrm View Post
    The mirage is reliable and the legacy non turbo Mitsu, but the rest are beat by Toyota by a wide margin. I for one drive the Civic and found it to be ok, but the quality is far worst than any mitsu I have owned. I would get a toyota next mainly for parts being 1/3 of any mitsu even from the dealer!
    lf l were to get a toyota, lt'd probably be a 4runner...those things last a long time as far as engine and trans go....but l'll end up buying a Kia rio here as my next car bc l've always liked Kia...even though they've had massive engine recalls...all manufacturers have their problems even Toyota...used to be an entry level mech and l agree with Fummins as far as not buying a new car as with more gadgets, the more stuff can break...but hey-it's your money..buy what you want. l was talking with my Toyota friend Friday and even he told me that Toyota's will outlast any other car, but they'll break eventually...all cars do...my Motto is "Get the car you want, and save up for emergency repairs when something goes, Some people love Toyota, others hate them...l recommend Toyota's and Honda's to my friends bc they do last...and if an engine goes or trans l'll be there to help them repair it, not mock them. Do l see myself driving one in the future...who knows? Main Point: Get the car you want (whether it's Toyota, Kia, Ford,etc...) and save up if possible so when something goes you can either repair it or scrap it.
    Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MirageRally For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (07-19-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Moderators feel free to delete this thread if need be, don't want to ruffle any feathers. Thanks

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    lf l were to get a toyota, lt'd probably be a 4runner...those things last a long time as far as engine and trans go....but l'll end up buying a Kia rio here as my next car bc l've always liked Kia...even though they've had massive engine recalls...all manufacturers have their problems even Toyota...used to be an entry level mech and l agree with Fummins as far as not buying a new car as with more gadgets, the more stuff can break...but hey-it's your money..buy what you want. l was talking with my Toyota friend Friday and even he told me that Toyota's will outlast any other car, but they'll break eventually...all cars do...my Motto is "Get the car you want, and save up for emergency repairs when something goes, Some people love Toyota, others hate them...l recommend Toyota's and Honda's to my friends bc they do last...and if an engine goes or trans l'll be there to help them repair it, not mock them. Do l see myself driving one in the future...who knows? Main Point: Get the car you want (whether it's Toyota, Kia, Ford,etc...) and save up if possible so when something goes you can either repair it or scrap it.
    I think the Toyota Land Cruiser is Toyota's most impressive vehicle. That's the truck you see on PBS driving perfect in the Sahara desert in Africa.

I read recently in a magazine that 2020 is the last model year for the Land Cruiser.The Land Cruiser final edition comes with gold rims, and a huge roof rack. They don't make 'em like they used to.

**I would also say, any car is only as reliable as it is well-maintained. So, even the most reliable cars need proper maintenance. I would say this is equally important as initial quality of your car. Driven too hard, and your car and your tires won't last. But your car also needs to be revved sometimes to keep the juices flowing.
    Last edited by dspace9; 07-19-2020 at 11:42 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (07-19-2020)

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    What do you think about 2012-16 Scion tc vs 2012-15 Kia forte Koupe? I'm thinking of getting a second car and not sure which one to look at, l know Kia had massive engine recalls and the Scion TC's had oil consumption issues, but still not sure which one...
    Sorry I just saw this.

I know the pre 2012 Scion TCs were good not sure about the later models. Kia has been getting better and better but I'm skeptic about how they're putting a turbo on everything. I would much rather prefer a NA engine for reliability.
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marklovski For This Useful Post:

inuvik (07-20-2020),MirageRally (07-20-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marklovski View Post
    Sorry I just saw this.

I know the pre 2012 Scion TCs were good not sure about the later models. Kia has been getting better and better but I'm skeptic about how they're putting a turbo on everything. I would much rather prefer a NA engine for reliability.
    Yeah, you know who is going up in quality recently?...Mazda...they don't use cvts...they use only 2-3 engine types in the USA and over the years are tweaking them just like Toyota...plus Mazda's 6-speed autos are fantastic...l would choose Mazda over a new Toyota...freaked out my Toyota friend today and printed off a used Kia Rio for $6k and only 25,000 miles...then borrowed my co-workers Kia key fob and walked past him while telling him l got a second car lol...that finally shut him up...if not l would have kept printing off Toyota recalls and problems...or would have gone to HR...l told everyone here that l literally can't get away from the guy if l tried...it just boggles my mind how some people just get fixated on things...before l worked in a factory-l worked as a service tech...we got all kinds of cars in, even Toyotas...did l mock the customers and tell them their cars don't ever break?...heck no...l fixed up their cars and sent them on their way...fixing cars helps me problem solve and l enjoyed it while it lasted, but it's more of a hobby for me now Again, from a service point of view...all cars break eventually...and it's up to the customer to make an informed decision on what car they want and if need be, save up for any repairs that they might need in the future...l used to get asked why l drove a Saturn GM when all my co-workers were driving Honda's...l simply responded by saying that l know what l can let go and what parts l need to fix...sorry if l sound irritated bc l am...l'm very stubborn but l try to see others point of view...l've just never met anyone that is as cocky and condescending as my "Toyota friend" from work...he literally goes out of his way to crap on everybody's day...l will end up switching to a different department soon if he persists...l enjoy freaking him out as he deserves it and he just can't keep his mouth shut...if he would say "glad you got the vehicle you wanted" and left me alone...great...but no...every day man...sick of it...