Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Enough is Enough!

Country
    UK
    Thanks

Enough is Enough!

Well my patience has worn beyond threadbare, there's nothing left at all.
    After having this Mirage for a year I'm now sick to death with it, God knows I've tried to persevere with it but there comes a day when enough is enough.

Tuesday last I was on a drive to Harrogate and twice hit road imperfections, these convinced me that it'll eventually break the car if not me, Chad's mind was made up...................it's going.
    Just economy, for me, doesn't cut it so I've sourced a Mercedes Benz A Class with all its Teutonic charm?? Yeah, right. I even contemplated getting a Jaguar S Type but £570 per year for road fund licence (road tax) and a gallon and 1/2 to start it it was dismissed. Even a Toyota Avensis was considered, but no,

We have to be careful with car choice, drive into London you enter a ULEZ zone (Ultra Low Emmissions Zone) and should your car not fall below their criteria you pay £12.50 per day and then you have the London Congestion Zone which is another £11.50 per day on top of your annual Road fund Licence. Expensive. I swear to God if we all gave up motor vehicles and went back to horse & cart they'd still charge you for emmissions......horse farts Fortunately the A Class is, like the Mirage, ULEZ compliant.

So, I'll stick around for awhile, it's been good "talking" to you folks and I'm glad to have known and shared some chat with you all.

Last edited by itschad; 05-16-2020 at 03:26 PM.
    Growing old is compulsory- Growing up is optional

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to itschad For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (05-16-2020),Eggman (05-16-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Completely understandable Chad. The Mirage isn't for everyone.

At least check in on us every now and then and give us some more pictures from the island.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

itschad (05-16-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by itschad View Post
    After having this Mirage for a year I'm now sick to death with it, God knows I've tried to persevere with it but there comes a day when enough is enough.

Tuesday last I was on a drive to Harrogate and twice hit road imperfections, these convinced me that it'll eventually break the car if not me, Chad's mind was made up...................it's going.
    Just economy, for me, doesn't cut it so I've sourced a Mercedes Benz A Class with all its Teutonic charm?? Yeah, right. I even contemplated getting a Jaguar S Type but £570 per year for road fund licence (road tax) and a gallon and 1/2 to start it it was dismissed. Even a Toyota Avensis was considered, but no,

We have to be careful with car choice, drive into London you enter a ULEZ zone (Ultra Low Emmissions Zone) and should your car not fall below their criteria you pay £12.50 per day and then you have the London Congestion Zone which is another £11.50 per day on top of your annual Road fund Licence. Expensive. I swear to God if we all gave up motor vehicles and went back to horse & cart they'd still charge you for emmissions......horse farts Fortunately the A Class is, like the Mirage, ULEZ compliant.

So, I'll stick around for awhile, it's been good "talking" to you folks and I'm glad to have known and shared some chat with you all.
    Ahh, the old A-class was so cool looking! We never really got many of them here in Canada aside from a few I've seen from import.

MB only started selling the A-Class in 2018 here, by then it was a *much* bigger car than it was originally, more like a A3 or Golf Wagon. It's a looker though, and surprisingly affordable (at least to buy anyway).

What year A-Class are you looking at? Older egg shaped ones or the more normal looking later ones (2013+)?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to javensbukan For This Useful Post:

itschad (05-16-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts

A person has to decide what they want to spend their money on I guess. I just looked up a Mercedes A Class, & the lowest listed one wasn't all that cheap (I paid 1/4th the lowest price listed on line for my new Mirage in 2017). I could never justify paying that money for car (especially for a sedan). If I am paying that much money for a vehicle, it better be able to pull a large boat or camper to go with it!

Where I live, annual license plate renewals are $75/year. There are no added costs or restrictions, nor any emission test requirements placed on vehicles. With all your added costs to own a vehicle there, your country should have the funds to fill in pot holes!

I hope you enjoy your new Mercedes A Class! We'll enjoy your company on the forum regardless!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

itschad (05-16-2020)

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Completely understandable Chad. The Mirage isn't for everyone.

At least check in on us every now and then and give us some more pictures from the island.
    Well my dear friend I shall drop by from time to time to catch up on news etc.
    I'd like to thank you Eggy for all your help and advice over the past year, it's been fun and good.

Pictures of England, well here goes.
    Well, you have Uncle Sam & we have..........

[ATTACH]18005[/ATTACH
    Attached Images Attached Images  

10. The Following User Says Thank You to itschad For This Useful Post:

Eggman (05-16-2020)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    You won't miss Chad, I'll be emailing you from time to time!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

itschad (05-16-2020)

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by javensbukan View Post
    Ahh, the old A-class was so cool looking! We never really got many of them here in Canada aside from a few I've seen from import.

MB only started selling the A-Class in 2018 here, by then it was a *much* bigger car than it was originally, more like a A3 or Golf Wagon. It's a looker though, and surprisingly affordable (at least to buy anyway).

What year A-Class are you looking at? Older egg shaped ones or the more normal looking later ones (2013+)?
    I have sold the Mental Mirage and looked at a 2015 A Class, doesn't have the build quality of my old C Class, my wife's cousin had the 2012 A Class (W169 model) and I loved it, so roomy, it'll hold all my shooting paraphernalia, it rides good, sound insulation is good and road manners are commendable.
    Below is the car with 37000 recorded miles.Name:  image169.jpeg
Views: 395
Size:  37.0 KB

14. The Following User Says Thank You to itschad For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (05-16-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I have sold the Mental Mirage and looked at a 2015 A Class, doesn't have the build quality of my old C Class, my wife's cousin had the 2012 A Class (W169 model) and I loved it, so roomy, it'll hold all my shooting paraphernalia, it rides good, sound insulation is good and road manners are commendable.
    The Mirage's ride is not very good, you are right. I know where the big bumps are on my commute, and when the unexpected happens, I go flying. When I was 30 I thought this was fun, now I want an upgrade. I will keep my Mirage as a summer car, might even add some UK spec stripes. I just want a more comfy car, say a used Buick eh or perhaps something else that is more plush than puny.

I love my Mirage and has lots of sentimental value, I just see what I can get on the used car market... even a Dodge Challenger probably has a good ride.
    Last edited by dspace9; 05-16-2020 at 08:36 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

itschad (05-17-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    I don't remember ever seeing a Mercedes hatchback like that one. It's a nice looking car! If you are buying a 2015, someone else has taken the big depreciation hit on it.

I typically buy low mileage vehicles myself. The exception would be my Mirage, which was under 66% window sticker at the time. Since I plan on keeping the car for a long time, I don't mind owning it from day one.

If I was buying a nicer vehicle, however, I would surely look at the used market. Most Mercedes I see are sedans or SUVs. The hatchback really does look like a nice car!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

itschad (05-17-2020)

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    The Mirage's ride is not very good, you are right. I know where the big bumps are on my commute, and when the unexpected happens, I go flying. When I was 30 I thought this was fun, now I want an upgrade. I will keep my Mirage as a summer car, might even add some UK spec stripes. I just want a more comfy car, say a used Buick eh or perhaps something else that is more plush than puny.

I love my Mirage and has lots of sentimental value, I just see what I can get on the used car market... even a Dodge Challenger probably has a good ride.
    Wishing you luck mate in finding another car. We have roads here that are all potholes with a bit of tarmac thrown in fpr good measure, I'm convinced that eventually it will break the suspension on the Mirage.