Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2020/2021 Mirage vs Mirage G4 MPG

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
    Fuelly is a good way to get real world results, but not a lot of people have recorded their MPG on a G4 Manual. And those that do (usually older models), have worse MPG. Little is said about highway driving on this site.
    The G4 came out in 2017 (other than adding standard features to the ES model), & it has remained pretty much the same. Outside of adding cruise as standard in 2019, I don't see why a 2017-19 G4 would get any different mileage than the current 2020 Mirage. As far as I am concerned, there isn't an older model of the G4. When the updated 2017 Mirage appeared on the market, the current G4 appeared. There may have been some minor tweaks to the G4, but nothing that warrants a significant change in my opinion. Outside of adding more standard features (making the ES more like the other trim levels), these cars haven't changed since 2017.

If the updated 2021 Mirage & G4 comes to the States later this year, the front ends of the two cars will more alike. Subcompact Culture (small car blog) shows the two cars side-by-side.

http://www.subcompactculture.com/201...mirage-g4.html

None of this answers your question, but I don't think it can be answered until the new models arrive. The new updated models will have similar fronts with different rear ends.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (05-17-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Similarly equipped G4s and hatches will get similar mileage. The end.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Because the EPA fuel economy is based on manufacturer numbers, so it's totally crap.
    I want real world results.
    Fuelly is a good way to get real world results, but not a lot of people have recorded their MPG on a G4 Manual.
    And those that do (usually older models), have worse MPG.
    Little is said about highway driving on this site.
    Most people don't buy the Mirage for highway driving; but putting around in town; which affects MPG by a lot.
    Technically a Sedan should beat a hatchback in terms of drag coefficient; and highway MPG, provided the gearbox (or final gear drive) is identical.
    Oh, I wouldn't say the EPA ratings are totally crap. Aren't those numbers derived from EPA testing, not manufacturers' testing? Where did you find out that EPA uses manufacturers numbers?

In any case, those numbers are simply a starting point. With the Mirage, a motivated driver can easily improve on them, and drivers who don't care won't. My Mirage was rated at 44 mpg, my lifetime results speak otherwise and that's in less than ideal conditions (cold climate driving.) I can get 50 mpg off the highway, and that's about 90% of my driving, so there's that. There's lots of similar such stories in the forum Fuel Economy Log - some who do better and some owners who enjoy the premium fuel economy of these cars without a lot of effort or worry.

Mind sharing why this is important? Will this affect your decision on which one to buy?
    Last edited by Eggman; 05-18-2020 at 09:16 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Technically a Sedan should beat a hatchback in terms of drag coefficient;
    Why? A wagon used to have a lower drag coefficient than it's sibling sedan. And what is a hatchback else than a shortened wagon?

If you google on 'drag coefficient mirage g4' you'll find a number of 0.29. A Mirage is 0.28 or 0.27.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Wolf View Post
    Why? A wagon used to have a lower drag coefficient than it's sibling sedan. And what is a hatchback else than a shortened wagon?

If you google on 'drag coefficient mirage g4' you'll find a number of 0.29. A Mirage is 0.28 or 0.27.
    How can that be, when it basically has a chopped rear end? A sedan usually has a more smooth back, allowing the wind to slide off easier.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    It's the spoiler.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    How can that be, when it basically has a chopped rear end? A sedan usually has a more smooth back, allowing the wind to slide off easier.
    Drag is often counter intuitive. Wikipedia says that a half-sphere has a lower drag coefficient than a sphere.
    AFAIK the drag is lower when you force the wind to break free at the tail, causing whirls. That way the vacuum is filled more easy. That is basically what the spoiler of the Mirage does.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    It's the spoiler.
    Not just the spoiler but "The Patented Spoiler":
    Attached Images Attached Images

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Eggman (05-19-2020),Top_Fuel (05-19-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Aerodynamics were discussed extensively in this thread:

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...-with-options)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)