Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2020/2021 Mirage vs Mirage G4 MPG

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

2020/2021 Mirage vs Mirage G4 MPG

What's the gas mileage differences between the cars, for highway driving? (60+ MPH)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
    What's the gas mileage differences between the cars, for highway driving? (60+ MPH)
    I have seen a few G4s at the dealer, and their fuel economy figures advertised looked pretty similar to the hatchbacks parked next to them. I feel the heavier the Mirage, the worse on gas and the slower to boot. So my 2014 ES Mirage manual with no AC is a lot lighter than a fully loaded G4 sedan. I find my Mirage is slower with a full tank of gas than on empty, you can feel the weight in the car.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (05-16-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Manufacturer states -

Mirage (CVT) - curb weight = 2095
    36 city
    43 hwy
    39 combined

Mirage (manual) - curb weight = 2029
    33 city
    41 hwy
    36 combined

G4 (CVT) - curb weight = 2172
    35 city
    41 hwy
    37 combined

G4 (manual) - curb weight = 2117
    33 city
    40 hwy
    35 combined

I compared ES trim level curb weights. An upper trim level may have a few extra pounds. A discussion about not having A/C doesn't really apply to us, because A/C has always been standard on a Mirage here.

As far as real numbers people are seeing, others can share those.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Daox (05-17-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    We all know the manufacturer's numbers don't really apply, as the CVT gets worse mpg than the manual, and many people see better values than the sticker price.

I was just wondering if the sedan version offered a lower drag coefficient than the hatchback?
    The sedan is heavier, but that matters little on a straightaway.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    We all know the manufacturer's numbers don't really apply, as the CVT .
    True enough, I have owned a 2014 Mirage 5 speed hatch for over 6 years, my record fuel economy happened near Macinac bridge in Michigan, 4.2 L/100 km's so like 56 MPG, then average in winter is around 5.7 or 42 MPG... I have the stick and it revs higher on the freeway. Even today I was on the freeway basically I69 but in Canada and going maybe 75 miles an hour, and I was at like 3900 rpm or 4100 RPM or more, and the CVT isn't revving near as much at that speed..so I understand... so I think CVT would be better for MPG as they say?

Not sure. I am happy with my MPGs and the manual's performance overall.

The hatch is like .27 drag coefficient or some such, and that means it is very smooth for any car... I wonder if that makes it better than the G4 sedan.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    We all know the manufacturer's numbers don't really apply, as the CVT gets worse mpg than the manual, and many people see better values than the sticker price.

I was just wondering if the sedan version offered a lower drag coefficient than the hatchback?
    The sedan is heavier, but that matters little on a straightaway.

How would you expect someone to answer this question unless they owned both a 2020 Mirage & a 2020 G4 that had the same transmission, same tires, same tire psi, filled with the same fuel (type & amount), were driven by the same weight person, on the exact same roads conditions, & during the exact same weather conditions?

Many seem to think the CVT is more efficient, but from everything I have read on this forum in the past 3 years I would say that's not the case. CVT owners seem to shared mpg ratings that are lower than I ever see with my manual, but once again thatt really depends on many variables.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    True, which is what I should have mentioned in the main post. Manual only.
    CVTs are inefficient in 2 states, low and high gear. They're most efficient in their center state (like 3rd gear).
    The numbers also indicate lower efficiency past 60mph on the CVT than the manual, despite the manual revving higher.

I'm mainly interested in the manual version of the two.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    If I understand correctly, the US EPA ratings try to correct for variables and tries to test not just for ideal driving conditions, but for how we drive cars today. MetroMPG knows more about this.

Why not just use the the EPA ratings for the 2020s?

US_EPA Fuel Economy Comparison 2020.pdf

US_EPA Fuel Economy Comparison 2020 - Energy and Environment.pdf

US_EPA Fuel Economy Comparison 2020 - Safety.pdf

US_EPA Fuel Economy Comparison 2020 - Specs.pdf

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Because the EPA fuel economy is based on manufacturer numbers, so it's totally crap.
    I want real world results.
    Fuelly is a good way to get real world results, but not a lot of people have recorded their MPG on a G4 Manual.
    And those that do (usually older models), have worse MPG.
    Little is said about highway driving on this site.
    Most people don't buy the Mirage for highway driving; but putting around in town; which affects MPG by a lot.
    Technically a Sedan should beat a hatchback in terms of drag coefficient; and highway MPG, provided the gearbox (or final gear drive) is identical.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Technically a Sedan should beat a hatchback in terms of drag coefficient; and highway MPG, provided the gearbox (or final gear drive) is identical.
    This is what I would expect. The real world difference is likely too small to see though.

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)