Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tallest fitting tires?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    In general terms, I would not disagree with that. But if you choose a high quality Low Rolling Resistance 185 tire, my experience has been that you will not see a loss of fuel mileage compared to something like a 165 Dunlop Enasave.

The tires I run (Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 Plus) are 185s...but their footprint is almost identical to a 165. Bridgestone improved these tires a few years ago, and one of the things they did was to reduce the contact patch. Here's what a Dunlop Enasave 165 looks like next to an Ecopia EP422 Plus 185...

Attachment 18022
    Can you provide us with a side by side of the 165/65-14 Escopia and Enasave?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Magenta View Post
    Can you provide us with a side by side of the 165/65-14 Escopia and Enasave?
    The only 165/65r14 Bridgestone tire I am aware of in the States is the the Bridgestone POTENZA RE92, & it's the only 165/65r14 tire Bridgestone lists on their website.
    Last edited by Mark; 05-20-2020 at 05:25 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Can you provide us with a side by side of the 165/65-14 Ecopia and Enasave?
    The Bridgestone Ecopia tire I used is a 185-55-15.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
    The rubbing should not be an issue with spacers
    The first thing tires usually do, is rub against some bushings, mounting points or suspension points.

What I really want to achieve, is a 20% taller final gear ratio. But that would be pretty impossible by just adjusting the tires.
    I'll have to disagree with this. The first thing I've had oversized tires hit was the back of inner fenders and rear edge of bumper. That might not be an issue if you only drive in a straight line though.
    Considerably oversized tires and lifted car? Wait you're trying to make a donk Mirage! .....Attachment 18046
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (05-20-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    "The only 165/65r14 Bridgestone tire I am aware of in the States is the the Bridgestone POTENZA RE92, & it's the only 165/65r14 tire Bridgestone lists on their website."

Dang it, I got all excited

"I live in FL, we don't have snow to worry about.
    And wider tires would increase grip during rain, but especially on the dry tarmac, (85% of our driving is under these conditions, where the little extra tire allow one to faster exit/enter the highway ramps."

Yikes! No, wider tires would increase hydroplaning for an opposite effect. I've pushed my Mirage around dry corners (Eibach springs and Doax swaybar) and I think my stock Enasaves do ok...

"Wait you're trying to make a donk Mirage!"

Oh, PLEASE! Somebody do this!!!

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    "Wait you're trying to make a donk Mirage!"

Oh, PLEASE! Somebody do this!!!
    Ehh... No!
    Just.. No!

Yeah, the Mirage is very light in weight, but I seriously doubt that their tires are giving you the best grip you can get.
    They're made for 'higher MPG', however adding up to 1 inch on the tire width, isn't going to affect MPG by much at all.
    I'd be surprised if you lose even 3% in the process!

Taller (fatter) tires will definitely bring lower torque to the ground. Aside from the added tire weight, there's also the gear ratio, so yes, it'll accelerate slightly slower. Can be compensated for, by keeping it revving longer.
    Instead of shifting at 3k RPM, shift at 4 or 5k RPM.
    It'll take longer to get to that RPM range as well.
    But once in final gear, the small RPM drop might be just perfect.
    Undoubtedly it'll also affect top speed. More than likely having higher top speed.

I swapped out my ST tires for taller ones, and I still get the same MPG, despite the 1.5" lift on the body vs the stock tires, as well as the 0.5" wider tires.
    They now look like donut tires, bulging out of the rims, and that has saved me once (bumping against a concrete slab at the gas station). The tire took the beating. With the stock tires, my rims would have been damaged.

Might not be good if you're just city driving, but for the highway gives more comfort, lower road noise, and lower highway RPM drone.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I believe I was running into rubbing issues with 195/55/15 - but most likely because of the width of the wheel and tire.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    If you have a 2014 or 2015 you can drop down to 13" rims and run 155/80 13's

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...omCompare1=yes

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post

No, the 15" rim is about as small as I would go. Even these look comparatively small for the car.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post

What was changed after 2015?