Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 41

Thread: Tallest fitting tires?

  1. #21
    Moderator inuvik's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Coos Bay, OR
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    2,937
    Thanks
    2,417
    Thanked 1,094 Times in 794 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    What was changed after 2015?
    Slightly larger front rotors on the 2017 onward which won't allow 13" rims to clear.


    Last edited by inuvik; 05-22-2020 at 03:16 PM. Reason: syntax

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.4 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.5 mpg (Imp)


  2. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

    Ares (05-22-2020)

  3. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Richland Center
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    3,023
    Thanks
    59
    Thanked 937 Times in 756 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
    No, the 15" rim is about as small as I would go. Even these look comparatively small for the car.
    I think factory size 15" rims on my cousin's 2007 Colorado looks a bit small. Today, a 2020 Chevy Colorado would have 16" or 17" rims. My 2011 Forester has 16" rims.

    There's no way 14-15" rims look small on a small economy car like a Mirage to me. Personally, I think anything larger than 15" on a Mirage looks sort of silly, but I am an old fart!

  4. #23
    Senior Member Ares's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Houston
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    1,625
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked 119 Times in 81 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Slightly larger front rotors on the 2017 onward which won't allow 13" rims to clear.
    Oh yah. I think there was a thread on that here to see if they would fit on the older mirages.

  5. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Miami
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    39
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I think factory size 15" rims on my cousin's 2007 Colorado looks a bit small. Today, a 2020 Chevy Colorado would have 16" or 17" rims. My 2011 Forester has 16" rims.

    There's no way 14-15" rims look small on a small economy car like a Mirage to me. Personally, I think anything larger than 15" on a Mirage looks sort of silly, but I am an old fart!
    Perhaps you're right. But you got to admit that the newer model 15" alloy wheels look more normal than the 14" steelies.
    If they just had a little bigger tires, they would look more normal.
    And, the engine and cabin have a little more clearance from being flooded from hitting a pothole.

  6. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Richland Center
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    3,023
    Thanks
    59
    Thanked 937 Times in 756 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
    Perhaps you're right. But you got to admit that the newer model 15" alloy wheels look more normal than the 14" steelies.
    If they just had a little bigger tires, they would look more normal.
    And, the engine and cabin have a little more clearance from being flooded from hitting a pothole.
    Everyone's definition of normal may be different. I don't really buy into the latest trend of large rims with low profile tires. It especially looks silly on pickup trucks & SUVs to me. I see absolutely nothing wrong with 14" rims on a Mirage. 14-15" rims are going to match tire sizes that fit well with this type of car. Just because a rim is 15" doesn't mean the tire is larger than one on a 14" rim. It depends on what size tire you put on the rim.

    175/65r14 & 185/55r15 are probably the most popular upgrade sizes to Mirage factory size tires. Both tires have the same 23" outside diameter. As long as they are available, I prefer the 165/65r14 tires over anything else. It's an economy car to me.

    A smaller rim with a higher profile tire may deal with potholes better, too! I know people who have low profile tires on their newer vehicles, and they hate the ride. My cousin I mentioned bought a use Colorado pickup truck, because he couldn't stand the ride of his KIA Optima with low profile tires during the winter months in Milwaukee. He regrets buying the Optima model with the lower profile tires. He's been in other Optima models with higher profile tires that ride much better than his car. With most things in life there are trade offs.

  7. #26
    Cornwallis Fummins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Pyongyang
    Country
    North Korea
    Posts
    4,169
    Thanks
    1,659
    Thanked 1,908 Times in 1,281 Posts
    I really don't think these things need anymore ground clearance. If you're bottoming out a Mirage buy a truck. And not one of the ones with a stupid chin spoiler 6" off the ground.
    The Sonics I service are noticeably lower than the Mirage. If I lower one on a hoist and forget a drain pan under it it'll drag it away. Never had that problem with a Mirage.
    Taller tires might seem like a great idea in theory. But in the real world not so much. Yeah the rippem gauge might read lower but the calculated engine load will likely be higher....If you're looking for better economy I say look elsewhere. The stock dinky tires and wheels are pretty damn light. If you just want to fill the wheel wells then giver.
    My mom says I'm cool

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.4 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.9 mpg (Imp)


  8. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Miami
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    39
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I really don't think these things need anymore ground clearance. If you're bottoming out a Mirage buy a truck. And not one of the ones with a stupid chin spoiler 6" off the ground.
    The Sonics I service are noticeably lower than the Mirage. If I lower one on a hoist and forget a drain pan under it it'll drag it away. Never had that problem with a Mirage.
    Taller tires might seem like a great idea in theory. But in the real world not so much. Yeah the rippem gauge might read lower but the calculated engine load will likely be higher....If you're looking for better economy I say look elsewhere. The stock dinky tires and wheels are pretty damn light. If you just want to fill the wheel wells then giver.
    You must not have seen the news then.
    Half the country had flooding, water as high as thigh deep.
    While thigh deep water would not help the Mirage pass safely, unless it looks like a mini-monster truck; I do think an inch or two won't harm the car.

  9. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Richland Center
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    3,023
    Thanks
    59
    Thanked 937 Times in 756 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
    You must not have seen the news then.
    Half the country had flooding, water as high as thigh deep.
    While thigh deep water would not help the Mirage pass safely, unless it looks like a mini-monster truck; I do think an inch or two won't harm the car.
    If flooding justifies that for you, then go for it.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

    Fummins (05-27-2020)

  11. #29
    House Elf Eggman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    8,160
    Thanks
    3,633
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,593 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
    You must not have seen the news then.
    Half the country had flooding, water as high as thigh deep.
    Sounds serious. What's causing the flooding in Miami?

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.7 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.7 mpg (Imp)


  12. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Miami
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    39
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Sounds serious. What's causing the flooding in Miami?
    What usually causes flooding I guess. But I wouldn't know, because I live many miles away from it.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •