Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tallest fitting tires?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    What was changed after 2015?
    Slightly larger front rotors on the 2017 onward which won't allow 13" rims to clear.

Last edited by inuvik; 05-22-2020 at 03:16 PM. Reason: syntax

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Ares (05-22-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
    No, the 15" rim is about as small as I would go. Even these look comparatively small for the car.
    I think factory size 15" rims on my cousin's 2007 Colorado looks a bit small. Today, a 2020 Chevy Colorado would have 16" or 17" rims. My 2011 Forester has 16" rims.

There's no way 14-15" rims look small on a small economy car like a Mirage to me. Personally, I think anything larger than 15" on a Mirage looks sort of silly, but I am an old fart!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Slightly larger front rotors on the 2017 onward which won't allow 13" rims to clear.
    Oh yah. I think there was a thread on that here to see if they would fit on the older mirages.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I think factory size 15" rims on my cousin's 2007 Colorado looks a bit small. Today, a 2020 Chevy Colorado would have 16" or 17" rims. My 2011 Forester has 16" rims.

There's no way 14-15" rims look small on a small economy car like a Mirage to me. Personally, I think anything larger than 15" on a Mirage looks sort of silly, but I am an old fart!
    Perhaps you're right. But you got to admit that the newer model 15" alloy wheels look more normal than the 14" steelies.
    If they just had a little bigger tires, they would look more normal.
    And, the engine and cabin have a little more clearance from being flooded from hitting a pothole.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Perhaps you're right. But you got to admit that the newer model 15" alloy wheels look more normal than the 14" steelies.
    If they just had a little bigger tires, they would look more normal.
    And, the engine and cabin have a little more clearance from being flooded from hitting a pothole.
    Everyone's definition of normal may be different. I don't really buy into the latest trend of large rims with low profile tires. It especially looks silly on pickup trucks & SUVs to me. I see absolutely nothing wrong with 14" rims on a Mirage. 14-15" rims are going to match tire sizes that fit well with this type of car. Just because a rim is 15" doesn't mean the tire is larger than one on a 14" rim. It depends on what size tire you put on the rim.

175/65r14 & 185/55r15 are probably the most popular upgrade sizes to Mirage factory size tires. Both tires have the same 23" outside diameter. As long as they are available, I prefer the 165/65r14 tires over anything else. It's an economy car to me.

A smaller rim with a higher profile tire may deal with potholes better, too! I know people who have low profile tires on their newer vehicles, and they hate the ride. My cousin I mentioned bought a use Colorado pickup truck, because he couldn't stand the ride of his KIA Optima with low profile tires during the winter months in Milwaukee. He regrets buying the Optima model with the lower profile tires. He's been in other Optima models with higher profile tires that ride much better than his car. With most things in life there are trade offs.

I really don't think these things need anymore ground clearance. If you're bottoming out a Mirage buy a truck. And not one of the ones with a stupid chin spoiler 6" off the ground.
    The Sonics I service are noticeably lower than the Mirage. If I lower one on a hoist and forget a drain pan under it it'll drag it away. Never had that problem with a Mirage.
    Taller tires might seem like a great idea in theory. But in the real world not so much. Yeah the rippem gauge might read lower but the calculated engine load will likely be higher....If you're looking for better economy I say look elsewhere. The stock dinky tires and wheels are pretty damn light. If you just want to fill the wheel wells then giver.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I really don't think these things need anymore ground clearance. If you're bottoming out a Mirage buy a truck. And not one of the ones with a stupid chin spoiler 6" off the ground.
    The Sonics I service are noticeably lower than the Mirage. If I lower one on a hoist and forget a drain pan under it it'll drag it away. Never had that problem with a Mirage.
    Taller tires might seem like a great idea in theory. But in the real world not so much. Yeah the rippem gauge might read lower but the calculated engine load will likely be higher....If you're looking for better economy I say look elsewhere. The stock dinky tires and wheels are pretty damn light. If you just want to fill the wheel wells then giver.
    You must not have seen the news then.
    Half the country had flooding, water as high as thigh deep.
    While thigh deep water would not help the Mirage pass safely, unless it looks like a mini-monster truck; I do think an inch or two won't harm the car.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    While thigh deep water would not help the Mirage pass safely, unless it looks like a mini-monster truck; I do think an inch or two won't harm the car.
    If flooding justifies that for you, then go for it.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Fummins (05-27-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Sounds serious. What's causing the flooding in Miami?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Sounds serious. What's causing the flooding in Miami?
    What usually causes flooding I guess. But I wouldn't know, because I live many miles away from it.