Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Mirage Warranty & Maintenance Manual

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

2020 Mirage Warranty & Maintenance Manual

I am totally confused. My Mirage Wrench icon reads 11200 and the other Wrench icon reads 3. According to the OLD thread "Mirage MID (Multi Information Display) service reminder / wrench icon" I should be getting the vehicle serviced at 11200 KM.

However, my "2020 Mirage Warranty & Maintenance Manual" states that I the vehicle is to be serviced EVERY 5 MONTHS - change oil & filter & rotate tires. That is RIDICULOUS as I drive under 1000 km every 5 months!

My Grand Caravan required an oil change once a year. Why every 5 months?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieter View Post
    I am totally confused. My Mirage Wrench icon reads 11200 and the other Wrench icon reads 3. According to the OLD thread "Mirage MID (Multi Information Display) service reminder / wrench icon" I should be getting the vehicle serviced at 11200 KM.

However, my "2020 Mirage Warranty & Maintenance Manual" states that I the vehicle is to be serviced EVERY 5 MONTHS - change oil & filter & rotate tires. That is RIDICULOUS as I drive under 1000 km every 5 months!

I think the owner's manual assumes you are driving a lot more than 2000 km's in 5 months. So they average it out for 8000 km's oil change intervals for 2014 Mirages anyways.

If you drive less than 2000 km's in 5 months, that's almost like not driving according to the way these figures work. Average drivers drive like 20,000 km's a year, not in 15 years.

I don't think oil goes bad after 5 months lol, and I think synthetic oil can run past Mitsu's recommended numbers.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Alas the Warranty and Maintenance Manual is quite specific on the every 5 months (it's KM or time in months, whichever comes first).

This so ticks me off that I will dump this car first chance I get! This is extortion to maintain a warranty!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Dieter For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (05-18-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Alas the Warranty and Maintenance Manual is quite specific on the every 5 months (it's KM or time in months, whichever comes first).

This so ticks me off that I will dump this car first chance I get! This is extortion to maintain a warranty!
    Well, I guess you won't be making too many posts then Dieter! Welcome aboard for your short Mirage tenure.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

I wouldn't be surprised if your dealer never notices, and never stamps that warranty sheet. Don't bring it up. That's what I did, and I made a big warranty claim over 5 years after new car purchase.

Play stupid and don't bring it up, just get your oil changed elsewhere but a reputable place, and Mitsu won't know the difference.

Cheers!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,820 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Engine oil includes an additive pack that deteriorates with time and with use. A six month oil change requirement has been around for a long time. If you want to maintain warranty coverage without a dealer questioning you on it, follow the manufacturers recommendations.

And welcome to the forum.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 675 Posts

In Europe the car needs service once a year. If it is driven more than 15000km, it needs an extra oil change, so it reads in the European manual.

I would officially ask the dealer and also ask Mitsubishi for clarification! Five months interval sounds ridiculous.

I rotate tyres yearly, because changing between winter and summer tyres is the law over here.

After the waranty runs out, many folks in Europe use VW50400 compliant synthetic oil. It is a PAO and Ester based brew with extremely longlife additives. That can stay in the engine for up to three years and 30000 to 50000km. I have a cheap source for that stuff and change it once a year. An oil change costing me €15.50 plus filter, being about US$16.- That brew ensures very best wear protection and zero piston deposits.
    Last edited by foama; 05-19-2020 at 06:50 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    No dealership is going to look at your oil change records if you have a warranty claim and say, "Well, it says here you only drove 996 miles since your last oil change, but that oil change was six months ago so...CLAIM DENIED!"

Change it twice a year or at the mileage specified in your manual. You will be fine. Oh, and by the way...the OCI indicator in the MID can be changed pretty easily so it isn't annoying you.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (05-18-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Every 5 months - that is a money grab! Next vehicle I buy I'll look at the servicing requirements first. Oil, filter every 800 km is a bit overkill!Name:  Service.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  106.5 KB
    Last edited by Dieter; 05-18-2020 at 05:21 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Dieter For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (05-18-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Every 5 months - that is a money grab! Next vehicle I buy I'll look at the servicing requirements first. Oil, filter every 800 km is a bit overkill!
    It's not every 800 km's lol. I think it's 8,000.. eight-thousand kilometers. I usually run mine over 9000 and Mitsu never made a fuss.. now I go to Ford because of prices are half the Mitsu dealer.

I live in southern Ontario, but I see you are in Alberta. I was in Edmonton last spring, drove to Jasper and back. My first time out West. Great trip, I loved my Hyundai Santa Fe rental I had there. Got lost a few times in Edmonton. Cheers from Ontario!