Thread: RPM surges while driving uphill

Country
    Singapore
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

RPM surges while driving uphill

Hi Mirage forum,

Driving an almost 1 year old 1.2L CVT mirage in sunny humid Island of Singapore, coming to 18000Km only.

Recently I started to notice that my RPM will surge when driving uphill.

For example, just this morning. Was driving at 100kmph on level ground with RPM at 2k. The road then turned into an incline, however I maintained constant throttle input.
    As expected, speed started to drop. However at around 95kmph, the car suddenly had a slight jerk, and RPM momentarily rose to 3k for half a second before settling back down.

Would like to clarify that cruise control was not activated. And the RPM climb was not due to my throttle input as I maintain constant accelerator position throughout.

I'm going to bring my car in for regular servicing next month. Should I be concerned about this?

Thanks in advance to all!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I would say that the computer may increase engine RPM to compensate for increased load even without additional throttle input, but I can't say I've experienced it myself. I usually do add throttle input out of habit from driving traditional automatics with mechanical throttle control.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 42.3 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by superzhen View Post
    Hi Mirage forum,

Driving an almost 1 year old 1.2L CVT mirage in sunny humid Island of Singapore, coming to 18000Km only.

Recently I started to notice that my RPM will surge when driving uphill.

For example, just this morning. Was driving at 100kmph on level ground with RPM at 2k. The road then turned into an incline, however I maintained constant throttle input.
    As expected, speed started to drop. However at around 95kmph, the car suddenly had a slight jerk, and RPM momentarily rose to 3k for half a second before settling back down.

Would like to clarify that cruise control was not activated. And the RPM climb was not due to my throttle input as I maintain constant accelerator position throughout.

I'm going to bring my car in for regular servicing next month. Should I be concerned about this?

Thanks in advance to all!
    Welcome to the forum! Could you take a video and post a link so that we could see and hear what you are experiencing?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Singapore
    Thanks
    Thanks all for your replies.

I'll try to find a way to take a video without breaking too many laws.