Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: It's Gawn

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by klroger View Post
    DS, let me know if it happens for you, I have my VW, but the Queen wants a convertible. I don't want to bid against a member, so if you don't like what you see, fill me in... I may have to follow up...
    If I was interested in a convertible, it would be a Mazda Miata or Honda S2000. The one odd exception would be an old VW Thing, but I would never waste my money on an old car anyways. I'd rather appreciate someone else owning it. I see vehicles as tools to do a job & not much else. Probably why I own a cheap Mirage.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    If I was interested in a convertible, it would be a Mazda Miata or Honda S2000. The one odd exception would be an old VW Thing, but I would never waste my money on an old car anyways. I'd rather appreciate someone else owning it. I see vehicles as tools to do a job & not much else. Probably why I own a cheap Mirage.
    Mark, you may enjoy the Doug DeMuro VW Thing review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWrkENGbkNs

My first car was a 1985 VW Rabbit Cabrio, manual everything. Some parts were interchangable with the VW Beetle parts car my Dad had at the time. So, I get it with VWs.

I'm pretty frugal overall, but I could use a hobby at this point, and I wouldn't be a big spender with any car project. Singular, not plural. One car at a time, and in theory you could make a business out of it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Mark, you may enjoy the Doug DeMuro VW Thing review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWrkENGbkNs

My first car was a 1985 VW Rabbit Cabrio, manual everything. Some parts were interchangable with the VW Beetle parts car my Dad had at the time. So, I get it with VWs.

I'm pretty frugal overall, but I could use a hobby at this point, and I wouldn't be a big spender with any car project. Singular, not plural. One car at a time, and in theory you could make a business out of it.
    I am probably frugal, but I own stuff, too. I own a lot of older stuff & by comparison my 2017 Mirage is new.

I mowed lawn with my 1993 John Deere LX 176 yesterday. Afterwards, I mowed my neighbor's trails with my 1978 Bolens G174 4WD compact diesel tractor. I am presently out turkey hunting & will be hiking back to my 2006 Kawasaki Mule 610 to take the rest of the way home. I have 3 chainsaws that probably range from 15-30 years old. I have old stuff. Take good care of it. I also trimmed with my 1994 McCulloch gas grass trimmer.

My ATV is a 1985 Honda TRX250 Fourtrax, & I use that for all my snowplowing & miscellaneous jobs. I don't consider these toys. My Mule hauls all my firewood to my house. Same for hauling deer out of my woods A pickup truck could not get where I go. Many things were bought used & didn't pay a lot for them.

My neighbor sold me the compact tractor with three point hitch rototiller, finish mower, & brush cutter. She didn't want it after her husband passed away. I got it all for $1,200, but I have been mowing her trails & supplying her with firewood for her fireplace for the last 10+ years. It became a good deal for both of us.

I don't have time to mess with old cars!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    You must have a large garage, dspace9. Working on cars takes a lot of room (and heat in the winter.)

You know how you make a small fortune in cars? Start with a big one. Collecting classics and keeping them roadworthy is an expensive venture.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    You must have a large garage, dspace9. Working on cars takes a lot of room (and heat in the winter.)

You know how you make a small fortune in cars? Start with a big one. Collecting classics and keeping them roadworthy is an expensive venture.
    I'm not sure what you mean by "starting with a big one"? Please explain I am curious.

I don't have a big garage, but I have a double laneway with nothing there lol.. just my little Mirage and a homemade carport.. almost too small for my Mirage.

So a ton of room but I have a 70' wide lot, so I could have more than 1 big American boat if I wanted with ease... 1 collector car fits easy and has to be under 4 grand to keep it in budget.. I will buy a car cover, and watch for mice somehow.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I am probably frugal, but I own stuff, too. I own a lot of older stuff & by comparison my 2017 Mirage is new.

I mowed lawn with my 1993 John Deere LX 176 yesterday. Afterwards, I mowed my neighbor's trails with my 1978 Bolens G174 4WD compact diesel tractor. I am presently out turkey hunting & will be hiking back to my 2006 Kawasaki Mule 610 to take the rest of the way home. I have 3 chainsaws that probably range from 15-30 years old. I have old stuff. Take good care of it. I also trimmed with my 1994 McCulloch gas grass trimmer.

My ATV is a 1985 Honda TRX250 Fourtrax, & I use that for all my snowplowing & miscellaneous jobs. I don't consider these toys. My Mule hauls all my firewood to my house. Same for hauling deer out of my woods A pickup truck could not get where I go. Many things were bought used & didn't pay a lot for them.

My neighbor sold me the compact tractor with three point hitch rototiller, finish mower, & brush cutter. She didn't want it after her husband passed away. I got it all for $1,200, but I have been mowing her trails & supplying her with firewood for her fireplace for the last 10+ years. It became a good deal for both of us.

I don't have time to mess with old cars!
    My house is old, and all my sheds etc. old, my lawn equipment and car is all newer, more by necessity.

Anyways for me I know I want to get into the classic car show scene. So this is a way in, without going past my budget. I have time to tinker and spend some money.. and I have some connections for car repair.

But the key with this is not going overblown because I'm on a budget for sure. I do need to keep my sanity and a project car would keep me busy in a better way than video games. My old house same thing. Turned out to be all worth the time and effort and sweat, and cost, now looking back...

Labour of love to fix up and restore something, rather than replace.

Sorry many cheers from Canada, itschad I hope you are loving your new car.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    I'm not sure what you mean by "starting with a big one"? Please explain I am curious.

I don't have a big garage, but I have a double laneway with nothing there lol.. just my little Mirage and a homemade carport.. almost too small for my Mirage.

So a ton of room but I have a 70' wide lot, so I could have more than 1 big American boat if I wanted with ease... 1 collector car fits easy and has to be under 4 grand to keep it in budget.. I will buy a car cover, and watch for mice somehow.
    I love cars. I really do. I have a 1980 CJ-7 that I've owned since 1989 (funfact - it was among the first CJs assembled in the now closed AMC Brampton plant.) I bought it when I lived in South Carolina. It was great there - drove it year 'round. When I got back to Cleveland, it started rusting right away. I really wanted to preserve it but the more I got into the job, the more I realized I had more important priorities in life. Good thing I waited and saved for the job, as I got it done the way I wanted.

You are smart to rehab a house as that is likely to pay you back. Cars rarely do. They are machines that wear down. Parts can be expensive and with older cars the parts can get hard to find. Imagine if you need some crucial little part for the convertible top - there aren't many of those left in junkyards for you to pick through. Don't even think about some selfish idiot looking at their phone rather than paying attention to you stopped at the stoplight - one accident and your investment is up in smoke.

That's how you wind up with with a small fortune. Whatever money you decide to put into your hobby, don't expect to ever see it again.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (05-24-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    one accident and your investment is up in smoke.

That's how you wind up with with a small fortune. Whatever money you decide to put into your hobby, don't expect to ever see it again.
    True enough. I think part of it it too is not getting carried away. I don't need the project car done tomorrow. Or when the hobby is short lived. That gets expensive. Like my friend was into drums, then metal detectors.. just goes on.

I will stick to budget too, but ya parts are gonna be rare, thus expensive.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I love cars. I really do.

Don't even think about some selfish idiot looking at their phone rather than paying attention to you stopped at the stoplight - one accident and your investment is up in smoke.

I had my VW for ~ 30 years before I really got serious about it & in that time I gathered up parts I needed to get it back on the road. An old car is a labor of love or to live a dream for a road trip, not to make money on it or to drive it as a daily driver... Old cars open a whole new world as you park @ the post office & it takes you 45 mins to leave as people have to tell you stories about their car from 30 years ago...You will meet a lot of interesting people, & if you insure with someone like Hagerty Insurance, you can get an "agreed on Value" that you say my car is worth $30,000, you pay the premium on your declared value, & in a right off accident, you are paid the "agreed on Value". It's pretty simple, & you have options for distance traveled each year...That way if someone wrecks your car, you at least get what you told the insurance it was worth (to you)...
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Where the hell have we gone with this?

Growing old is compulsory- Growing up is optional

12. The Following User Says Thank You to itschad For This Useful Post:

Fummins (05-26-2020)