Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: It's Gawn

Country
    UK
    Thanks

It's Gawn

:
    Today my mental Oriental Mirage and I parted company this day. Please be patient and have a laugh, bear with me.
    I drove over to Lancashire from Yorkshire (English civil war, (Lancastrians V Yorkists, better known as the Wars of the Roses, finally a Lancastrian victory) to a place called Bury, Err, I used to go shooting all over a town called Gravesend in Kent, hang on, Bury, Gravesend, is somebody sending me a message?

Now the drive over the Pennines in the Mental oriental was good, set cruise control and Bob's yer Uncle, an hour later I was in Bury with some outstanding scenery on the way.

Completed the paperwork and paid £80.00 to retain my private registration on retention.

So, the drive back home in a Mercedes-Benz A Class? WTF????? I thought the Mirage was difficult to pair up the phones I have but the Merc? well gawd blimey, took me ages, more buttons to press than flying Concorde. Cannot fathom how to play music via the 3.5mm jack point that for some unknown reason the krauts have hidden it away in the glovebox???? It's all so antiquated that Fred Flinstone & Barney Rubble could've figure it out.

The drive was compliant, quiet if not rewarding and acceleration was a tad better than the Mirage, however, I dunno who designed the interior, particularly the handbrake lever, never a problem in any other car I've owned but it seems you need to stretch back unnaturally to use the damned thing.

Do I like it? Well the coin is in the air, it's certainly a better ride, strangely the seats when you first sit in/on them it's like the seating in a Roman Amphitheatre, bleeding hard but on the journey they were fine and satisfactory.

I do miss the mental Oriental Mirage, but will also miss the broken ribs driving over road imperfections.
    Nice dashboard lighting, similar to my Colt and Mirage and C Class Merc of 20 years back.
    Here's a few pictures.

Name:  IMG_20200520_212905.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  83.3 KBName:  IMG_20200520_212856.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  87.0 KBName:  IMG_20200520_212940.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  78.1 KB

Growing old is compulsory- Growing up is optional

2. The Following User Says Thank You to itschad For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (05-21-2020)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Looking good sir! Dont stop posting on here though please. You answer alot of questions about the UK car scene, sales, history, etc. It'd be a loss of data if you stopped writing.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Did you test drive this car or drive a Mercedes A Class before purchasing this one?

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Did you test drive this car or drive a Mercedes A Class before purchasing this one?
    Both, I went some way to test an A Class that was not good, air con not working, dodgy brakes, just felt suspect but the ride was good and that made my mind up to buy one.
    When I got to Inter, ooops, sorry Bury and drove it I was convinced apart from one thing, the wipers were shot, two were split, so I spat my dummy out but they replaced them with 3 new wipers.

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Looking good sir! Dont stop posting on here though please. You answer alot of questions about the UK car scene, sales, history, etc. It'd be a loss of data if you stopped writing.
    I'll be around for a bit Dirk just to see how it's going.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by itschad View Post
    I'll be around for a bit Dirk just to see how it's going.
    You surely don't have to be Mirage owner to participate in this forum. Darin is one of the forum founders I believe, & he doesn't even own a Mirage himself. Just saying - You've owned one longer than he has.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

itschad (05-21-2020),MirageRally (05-24-2020)

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    My ownership lasted 11 months, so I believe I just qualify

This is more like a social club than a forum, I'd be honoured to hang about on here.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to itschad For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (05-22-2020),MirageRally (05-24-2020),mitsumi (05-21-2020)

I would be very interested in your 11-month ownership review of the A-class.

As said elsewhere, sorry to see you leave the Mirage-owning club!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

itschad (05-22-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Nice MB, itschad. I like that the interior light is orange, exactly the same as your Mirage. Or at least the Mirages here in Canada have orange interior lights, and I believe the 2020s have blue lights interior. Not too sure. Anyways orange on orange to orange on silver. Enjoy your new car, I like the subdued, understated interior. Exterior is nice too, you barely see this type of car in Ontario. Only the B class MB, and I don't know my Benz's that well.

My old neighbour growing up joyrided his dad's 190 back when we were 4. Fun play time that day was, one driver's door smashed later. and the car on my lawn.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

itschad (05-22-2020),MirageRally (05-24-2020)

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Nice MB, itschad. I like that the interior light is orange, exactly the same as your Mirage. Or at least the Mirages here in Canada have orange interior lights, and I believe the 2020s have blue lights interior. Not too sure. Anyways orange on orange to orange on silver. Enjoy your new car, I like the subdued, understated interior. Exterior is nice too, you barely see this type of car in Ontario. Only the B class MB, and I don't know my Benz's that well.

My old neighbour growing up joyrided his dad's 190 back when we were 4. Fun play time that day was, one driver's door smashed later. and the car on my lawn.
    Thanks DS, yeah, I had a Merc C-Class 240 Elegance about two decades ago and that was a nice soothing orange, then in 2010 I bought a Mitsubishi Colt CZ2 Cleartec and that was orange too along with my Mirage, I find orange to be soothing. Years ago most interior lighting was green. Yes the later MB's have blue lighting, a sanatorium therapy colour, not for me.