Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changing CVT fluid and both filters(information)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Changing CVT fluid and both filters(information)

Hello everyone, I just bought a new to me 2014 Mirage ES CVT and wanted to throw some information into cyberspace. The car has 48,xxx miles and it appeared the CVT fluid had never been changed let alone the filters. I dropped the pan, cleaned the magnets, and replaced the filter in the pan as well as the AUX filter on the side of the transmission. Doing all of this at once allowed me to drain about 4 litres of CVT fluid(3889ml to be exact) and allowed me to clean the pan/magnets which were a bit gunky. I used Valvoline synthetic CVT fluid and sourced my filters/gasket on ebay. The process was mostly easy, all of the bolts are hand tight at most. More info to come...

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Pyrobund For This Useful Post:

Basic (06-01-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The most difficult part was changing the AUX filter as I was too lazy to remove the plastic shielding in front of it, if you remove or at least loosen the plastic it will be very easy. If you watch this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzUYagveB7E it is very helpful to understand this transmission They remove the aux filter at 1:39 and drop the pan at 3:00. I used these parts
    Aux filter: https://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-OEM...53.m2749.l2649

Gasket/Filter: https://www.ebay.com/itm/CVT-JF015E-...53.m2749.l2649

I just reused the o-ring on the canister that holds the aux filter. Anyways I just wanted to post this info for DIYers out there who may be leery about messing with a CVT. I will update this once I have driven a while on the Valvoline fluid.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pyrobund For This Useful Post:

Car Nut (05-31-2020),Macmoto (05-25-2020),R01k (11-29-2021)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    I'm rooting for you man, but if you've done any research
    on here its vital these JATCO CVT7 units not get universal fluid but OEM. However, Fummins is our CVT guru and I believe he doesnt use OEM for his 30+ fleet of Mirages (all cvt) and he's keep the vast majority of his 2015s on the road past 150k miles so hopefully I'm wrong. Your already a step ahead of the filters though, doing them at 40k miles instead of the recommended 60k miles. Godspeed!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Update: Well I have been driving for a few days and I don't really notice any difference in performance with the new Valvoline fluid. The CVT characteristics are exactly the same so far. Feels better knowing it's clean at least. I will continue to update this over time even it is just to say the fluid is doing fine. Also, pay attention to what Dirk Diggler said^, if you are under warranty or strict about doing everything by the book you should probably stick with the OEM CVT fluid.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Thanks Pyrobund for the update. Here's to many miles of trouble-free traveling.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Update: It seems that the new CVT fluid has been cycled through at this point because I notice the car accelerates and changes RPMs a bit more smoothly. Probably won't update for a long while, maybe in a year or so just to say how everything holds up.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I used your link, and was going to order the aux filter, but the chart says it doesn't fit my 2014 ES. Wonder what's up with that? That filter looked the same size and everything as your old one?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have a 2014 ES as well and it fit just fine. I compared it to the old filter and it was exactly the same. I had also noticed ebay said it wouldn't fit my ES, but also noticed the filter fits the Chevy Spark and some Nissans that use the same CVT. Just decided to chance it and sure enough it fit.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    No problem