Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 90k update

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    It seems my last mirage update was at October 2017 at 60k miles.

Car is still alive and well. A year ago, a few AC bits were replaced when the compressor clutch disintegrated while driving.

Early this year, the transmission started having problems shifting to first. The transmission was pulled apart and found bits and pieces of what may have been first and/or second. A low-mileage transmission was found and installed along with new clutch assembly.

I'm scared to look, but I have a feeling there may be a hole in the exhaust.

The 90k mile maintenance list is extensive. I'll be chopping off at the list at stuff I can do myself - which is really most of it. Does anyone have experience with the mirage's valves?

Quote: " Early this year, the transmission started having problems shifting to first. The transmission was pulled apart and found bits and pieces of what may have been first and/or second."

If the gear doesn't just plop in, especially when down-shifting, don't apply any force to the lever, because thats murder for the synchro rings! You might rather try thinner gearbox oil, such a a 100% sythetic PAO based 70W80 GL4. Redline sells such stuff in the Americas, Rowe in Europe. Saves synchro rings from disintegrating.

Quote: "I'm scared to look, but I have a feeling there may be a hole in the exhaust."

The exhaust on mine was painted early during the first year, and is not rusty today, six years later!

Quote: "Does anyone have experience with the mirage's valves?"

Have a look in the FSM! Probably most if not all valves will not need more than checking, but they must be checked. If you do need to adjust valve play, you will certainly need parts. In that case you will have to find out exactly what size part you need before ordering them. I would take it to a good workshop or do it myself, but I would not take it to a less knowledgable dealer.

Last edited by foama; 05-25-2020 at 07:33 AM.