Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A little oops... anyone got a purple rear bumper cover?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Thumbs up A little oops... anyone got a purple rear bumper cover?

HELLO WONDERFUL MIRAGE PEOPLE.

Unfortunately, I was involved in my very first moving vehicle collision recently. :'( Thankfully, the offenders insurance is paying for it, but the cheapo in me thinks paying over $1000 for a new painted bumper to be installed is crazy! I could buy a whole 'nother Geo Metro for that! 😂

I really want this fixed though, since this is probably the only brand new car I'll ever buy and it's important to me. I tried searching for a "plasma purple" bumper in nearby junkyards, but couldn't find anything. I'd prefer to examine it and pull it myself so I could ensure it's good. I heard the bumper covers are not too bad to remove? I'll probably just end up going to the body shop, but just checking here first.

Also. Do y'all think the bumper is damaged underneath? It was a pretty light hit, but it cracked the plastic.

Name:  damage1.jpg
Views: 692
Size:  91.1 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 48.3 mpg (US) ... 20.5 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to spork For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (05-22-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by spork View Post

Unfortunately, I was involved in my very first moving vehicle collision recently. :'( Thankfully, the offenders insurance is paying for it, but the cheapo in me thinks paying over $1000 for a new painted bumper to be installed is crazy! I could buy a whole 'nother Geo Metro for that! ��

I really want this fixed though, since this is probably the only brand new car I'll ever buy and it's important to me.
    One other option is the Mitsubishiparts now.com website store. I haven't ordered from them, but others on the Forum have. Their prices aren't exactly cheap, but I think they would have what you're looking for.

https://www.mitsubishipartsnow.com/

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (05-22-2020)

If you can ask for a cash payout for the damage. Then keep your eyes open for a used bumper and replace it. Or just take the money and run. That worked for me when I got backed into once. I got a cheque for $3000, fixed the car for next to nothing.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (05-22-2020)

These guys have one the same color. $300. Network, Inc. - RTN, MIDW USA-IN(Fairmount) E-mail 1-765-948-3659 https://autonetworkinc.com/ https://autonetworkinc.com/invdetail.aspx?id=1603-0137 They're in fairmount Indiana?
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (05-22-2020),MetroMPG (06-05-2020),MirageRally (05-22-2020),spork (05-22-2020)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Or you could buff out the light stuff abd stick a bumper sticker on the heavy damage. Fixing it would be preferable, of course. lol

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 42.3 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.8 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Nobu For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (05-22-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by spork View Post

Unfortunately, I was involved in my very first moving vehicle collision recently. :'( Thankfully, the offenders insurance is paying for it, but the cheapo in me thinks paying over $1000 for a new painted bumper to be installed is crazy! I could buy a whole 'nother Geo Metro for that! ��

I really want this fixed though, since this is probably the only brand new car I'll ever buy and it's important to me. I tried searching for a "plasma purple" bumper in nearby junkyards, but couldn't find anything. I'd prefer to examine it and pull it myself so I could ensure it's good. I heard the bumper covers are not too bad to remove? I'll probably just end up going to the body shop, but just checking here first.

Also. Do y'all think the bumper is damaged underneath? It was a pretty light hit, but it cracked the plastic.

Name:  damage1.jpg
Views: 692
Size:  91.1 KB
    I don't think it damaged the underneath-when my saturn got rear ended, l pushed the plastic back into place, only thing that came out was rust...but just in case l would have a mechanic you trust look at it to relieve your stress. Since you're in Wisconsin and not Mentor, there's not any mechanics that l know. Like Fummins said you can ask for the payout and determine if it's better to fix it or run.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobu View Post
    Or you could buff out the light stuff abd stick a bumper sticker on the heavy damage.
    Ralliart and K&N stickers FTW.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    These guys have one the same color. $300. Network, Inc. - RTN, MIDW USA-IN(Fairmount) E-mail 1-765-948-3659 https://autonetworkinc.com/ https://autonetworkinc.com/invdetail.aspx?id=1603-0137 They're in fairmount Indiana?
    Oooh thanks! How did you find the price on that?

Quote Originally Posted by Nobu View Post
    Or you could buff out the light stuff abd stick a bumper sticker on the heavy damage. Fixing it would be preferable, of course. lol
    That's an idea I didn't need!! I love stickers and have quite a collection just sitting in a drawer...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 48.3 mpg (US) ... 20.5 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm in the buff it out camp.

You'll be surprised just how much of it will go away. All of the transferred paint will disappear. You'll have a couple scars where the black plastic shows. I think it would be hardly noticeable... and you could cover it with a sticker.

Given what a Mirage is worth... that's not even likely to make more than a couple hundred dollars difference in the price of the car if you tried to sell it. Hardly worth repairing.

Also, I'm no expert at this, but if you apply a little heat (not so much that you damage the paint), you may be able to get those distorted parts to settle back into shape a little bit.
    Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Take the money, buff out what you can, sticker over what you can't, and wait until you find a replacement color-matched bumper.

A rear bumper cover shouldn't be too hard to find. As for damage underneath, there is a reinforcement bar underneath the bumper cover that bolts to the rear of the body. You can see it if you look up under the bumper cover. Any damage will be pretty easy to see.

Bumper cover on left, body on right, reinforcement bar in the middle.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (06-05-2020)