Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mirage Manual Fun

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MIMirage View Post
    Here is the trick.

Put your phone in your pocket. If you are not looking at your phone when the light turns green, you are already ahead of 75% of the people on the road. Anyone else who tailgates or honks at you because they think you are going too slow, can go pound sand. They probably sat at a green for 5 seconds earlier in the day.
    HAha - so true.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (05-24-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    People just accelerate a lot faster than they need to because they can. Just adopt a reasonable and predictable pattern of acceleration. You don't need to be faster than the guy next to you. You don't need to be AS FAST as the guy next to you. But, if he's accelerating at a reasonable pace, you shouldn't be too far behind his pace. It's perfectly acceptable to accelerate just a little slower than the guy next to you.

And if there's nobody next to you, guess what? That impatient dork behind you can GO AROUND!

I find that even with heavy and "impatient" traffic, I can almost always get by with about 20-30% throttle and shifting at less than 2500 rpm.

You get more (acceleration wise) by holding the gear longer than you do by giving it more throttle. If you're in the basement of 3rd gear (1500-2500 rpm) at full throttle, you're not going to get as good acceleration as you would in 2nd gear at 3000-5000. Don't be afraid to let the engine rev a little bit if you need to "keep up".

I've actually been out on the road twice in the past couple days, I've been staying home a lot lately. Friday night, I just went out for a drive to exercise the car. Minimal traffic, but there was someone behind me much of the way, so I didn't drive particularly slowly. Just cruising around for 15-20 minutes, got home with 52 mpg. Today, I had to run out to the home improvement store. LOTS of pushy traffic and I had to make a lot of lane changes across an 8-lane road, so I had to keep up with the pace of traffic and make one or two "adjustments". I still got home with 48.2 mpg.

I've thought about doing some "hypermiling instruction video", I even tried to do it once. But, it's long, tedious and boring! Surely someone has done it, though. Search the YouTubes.
    Thanks, l sometimes get pressured when someone is tailgating me and drive faster than l should...l should be just focusing on me and like MIMirage and you said "lf they don't like it, they can go around". Thanks again for your inputs

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MirageRally For This Useful Post:

Eggman (05-25-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    A lot (A LOT) of people tailgate out of pure habit. It doesn't always meant that they expect you to drive faster, they're just used to being that close.
    Simplify and add lightness.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (05-25-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    A lot (A LOT) of people tailgate out of pure habit. It doesn't always meant that they expect you to drive faster, they're just used to being that close.
    True, l guess l drive faster when someone is tailgating bc l think that l can add space between myself and them...pretty stupid bc what do they do...speed up lol so as l've figured out most of the problems l deal with are "me" related lol...true a lot of people don't realize they are tailgating and then you do get the people that tailgate to try to push you to speed past what you are comfortable driving.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageRally View Post
    True, l guess l drive faster when someone is tailgating bc l think that l can add space between myself and them...pretty stupid bc what do they do...speed up lol so as l've figured out most of the problems l deal with are "me" related lol...true a lot of people don't realize they are tailgating and then you do get the people that tailgate to try to push you to speed past what you are comfortable driving.
    Adding more speed to a bad situation like tailgating isn't something I would teach my driving students. If someone is tailgating me, I will reduce my speed & increase my following distance. I will take charge of the situation & reduce the speed.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (05-25-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    ^^^

That's pretty much what I preach, as well. The driver behind you doesn't get to make your decisions for you. All you owe them is courtesy. Part of that courtesy is to not drive UNDER the speed limit without good reason, but you don't owe them more than that.

(is it weird that a forum as small as this has two driving instructors on it?)
    Simplify and add lightness.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (05-25-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    ^^^

That's pretty much what I preach, as well. The driver behind you doesn't get to make your decisions for you. All you owe them is courtesy. Part of that courtesy is to not drive UNDER the speed limit without good reason, but you don't owe them more than that.

(is it weird that a forum as small as this has two driving instructors on it?)
    l probably should have remembered these points from my instructors.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Adding more speed to a bad situation like tailgating isn't something I would teach my driving students. If someone is tailgating me, I will reduce my speed & increase my following distance. I will take charge of the situation & reduce the speed.
    This is what my instructor taught me...l still have a lot to learn :/

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    l also know that if the person tailgating is making me feel nervous, l can always find a safe place to pull over or let him go around.

Quote Originally Posted by MirageRally View Post
    the Mirage is not slow at all and you don't have to bang through the gears to do it. l was shifting at 4,000rpm from each gear and got to 60mph pretty quick...not hellcat quick lol...but quick enough...
    Name:  download.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  9.0 KB

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (05-25-2020)