Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mirage Manual Fun

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    I think your lower MPGs is your driving style MirageRally, not being negative. Just if you drive the Mirage with fuel efficiency in mind, and slow down, you're going to get better fuel economy. Revving it up and driving all out is fun but drinks gas.

Be easy on the car and you will get 40+ MPG for 10-15 years like Mark says. I have been driving my Mirage over 6+ years from new, and always get over 40 MPG.

Look at it this way. I drive my Mirage for a commuter to get to and from work. I don't want to spend any extra money going to work. I have been looking at some used classic cars lately, and I never expect 40 MPG. But every day driver ...and it adds up.
    Yeah, l will drive slower from now on...sometimes l have to get up to speed quick but like you said "fuel efficiency" l need to leave he radio off, stop listening to Lazerhawk techno, and just drive slower. l wanted to get a 1988 Lincoln town car before this lol...11mpg big boat vs mini-sized 40mpg+ mirage maybe next car....my next car will be all performance...or whatever l can get out of it I'm also trying to take my motorcycle test at Lakeland Community College and would be fun to get a little eco bike too

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageRally View Post
    yeah, l really like Kia but with the whole recall is pretty crazy about their engines...all Brands have problems, even Toyota had a bad batch of engines...but Kia really needs to step up their game if they want to catch up to Toyota, they might not...like you said, l too bought my Mirage for fuel efficiency....lf l need to get good mpg l will take the freeway, but in the city-l am not getting the miles l would like...next fillup l will drive slower and see if l can get better mpg.
    I just drive normal. If I had to do something special to achieve decent mpg, I would own something else. I go the same speed as everyone else around me, which is close to the speed limit in most cases.

I am not impressed by the auto industry at the moment, which saves me money. I am not going to predict what I may like 15 years from now, but it could be a used Mirage.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Yeah, l will drive slower from now on...sometimes l have to get up to speed quick but like you said "fuel efficiency" l need to leave he radio off, stop listening to Lazerhawk techno, and just drive slower. l wanted to get a 1988 Lincoln town car before this lol...11mpg big boat vs mini-sized 40mpg+ mirage maybe next car....my next car will be all performance...or whatever l can get out of it I'm also trying to take my motorcycle test at Lakeland Community College and would be fun to get a little eco bike too
    Radio won't hurt your fuel economy lol... even being in 4th gear instead of 5th probably won't hurt your MPGs that much. My radio has been on the WHOLE time I owned my Mirage, and I have no AC, so my windows are always down all summer.. more wind resistance...and yet I still get like 45-50 MPGs... idles like a beauty as well.. so don't worry about driving at night with your lights off to save on gas jk. It's all in your footwork.
    Last edited by dspace9; 05-24-2020 at 03:07 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (05-24-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Radio won't hurt your fuel economy lol... even being in 4th gear instead of 5th probably won't hurt your MPGs that much. My radio has been on the WHOLE time I owned my Mirage, and I have no AC, so my windows are always down all summer.. I still get like 45-50 MPGs... idles like a beauty as well.. so don't worry about driving at night with your lights off to save on gas. It's all in your footwork.

My Mirage maxes out around 4.4 L / 100 km's around this time in the summer. I get almost new tires on my Mirage in two weeks. We will see if non-bald tires improve things. I think the same again from Bridgestone to Dunlops again... I swear Bridgestones hold the road better, and quicker off the line. Who knows.
    Good to know l miss listening to Juke box hero by Foreigner

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MirageRally For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (05-24-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Sorry I was editing my post for clarity.. haha I always listen to Radiohead in my Mirage, especially Hail to the Thief Album, and The Smiths all the time. Lots of Hip Hop too!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (05-24-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Sorry I was editing my post for clarity.. haha I always listen to Radiohead in my Mirage, especially Hail to the Thief Album, and The Smiths all the time. Lots of Hip Hop too!
    LOve Radiohead, my problem with hip hop and techno is it gets my heart racing, but still fun to listen too ha

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MirageRally For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (05-24-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    lnteresting, here in Mentor-everyone goes 60mph in a 40 so for me l can't slowly go up to speed...if l were to go the freeway l would get 45mpg but l get 21-26mpg in the city :/
    MirageRally I gotta disagree here. We drive in similar neighborhoods (we're practically neighbors) and I average just below 50 mpg in mostly urban driving.

My experience driving in Mentor isn't 60mph in a 40 zone. Not at all.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (05-24-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    MirageRally I gotta disagree here. We drive in similar neighborhoods (we're practically neighbors) and I average just below 50 mpg in mostly urban driving.

My experience driving in Mentor isn't 60mph in a 40 zone. Not at all.
    Well, all l know is l gotta cut back on less throttle and more "eco". As mentioned before, my music is my main enemy l just have to drive less aggressively. Maybe sometime we can meet and you can tell me some tricks on how to get up to speed quickly but less throttle. Plus l'm still getting the hang of driving manual and will just take me more time to master Thanks for your input, maybe because l'm in a lower hp car l feel like people drive faster than they are?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MirageRally For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (05-24-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Well, all l know is l gotta cut back on less throttle and more "eco". As mentioned before, my music is my main enemy l just have to drive less aggressively. Maybe sometime we can meet and you can tell me some tricks on how to get up to speed quickly but less throttle. Plus l'm still getting the hang of driving manual and will just take me more time to master Thanks for your input, maybe because l'm in a lower hp car l feel like people drive faster than they are?
    Here is the trick.

Put your phone in your pocket. If you are not looking at your phone when the light turns green, you are already ahead of 75% of the people on the road. Anyone else who tailgates or honks at you because they think you are going too slow, can go pound sand. They probably sat at a green for 5 seconds earlier in the day.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to MIMirage For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (05-24-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    maybe because l'm in a lower hp car l feel like people drive faster than they are?
    People just accelerate a lot faster than they need to because they can. Just adopt a reasonable and predictable pattern of acceleration. You don't need to be faster than the guy next to you. You don't need to be AS FAST as the guy next to you. But, if he's accelerating at a reasonable pace, you shouldn't be too far behind his pace. It's perfectly acceptable to accelerate just a little slower than the guy next to you.

And if there's nobody next to you, guess what? That impatient dork behind you can GO AROUND!

I find that even with heavy and "impatient" traffic, I can almost always get by with about 20-30% throttle and shifting at less than 2500 rpm.

You get more (acceleration wise) by holding the gear longer than you do by giving it more throttle. If you're in the basement of 3rd gear (1500-2500 rpm) at full throttle, you're not going to get as good acceleration as you would in 2nd gear at 3000-5000. Don't be afraid to let the engine rev a little bit if you need to "keep up".

I've actually been out on the road twice in the past couple days, I've been staying home a lot lately. Friday night, I just went out for a drive to exercise the car. Minimal traffic, but there was someone behind me much of the way, so I didn't drive particularly slowly. Just cruising around for 15-20 minutes, got home with 52 mpg. Today, I had to run out to the home improvement store. LOTS of pushy traffic and I had to make a lot of lane changes across an 8-lane road, so I had to keep up with the pace of traffic and make one or two "adjustments". I still got home with 48.2 mpg.

I've thought about doing some "hypermiling instruction video", I even tried to do it once. But, it's long, tedious and boring! Surely someone has done it, though. Search the YouTubes.

Simplify and add lightness.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (05-24-2020)