Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reviewing my 2015 Mitsubishi space star

Country
    Israel
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Reviewing my 2015 Mitsubishi space star

I bought a Mitsubishi Space star 1.2L cvt transmission with 34,000 km on it one year ago , in General I really love the car but there are few things I would like the share with u ...
    The car fuel economy is quiet amazing I get 18-20 km per litter (in Israel we the speed is by km/h) before the space star I had a pegeout 107 with manual transmission with the same fuel consumption now !

I noticed something wired about the cvt transmission which I like to share with you and see if I am not the only one how feels it :when statrting to drive sometimes it feels the car hesitate to increase speed like the car is moving to second gear and it only happens when I drive genetly , did someone noticed it also 🧐?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Space star 1310 For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (05-29-2020),dspace9 (05-28-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Hello Space star 1310 and welcome to the forum.

I have a 5-speed manual transmission in my Mirage and have no experience with the CVT. But it is my understanding that it is programmed to deliver fuel economy if driven lightly, and I would expect it would try to keep engine speed to a minimum. Hopefully other CVT owners will respond with their input.

Again, welcome.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Israel
    Thanks
    Thanks for welcoming me i am new to this forum, well the cvt as much as I undertand designed to deliver power in any situation so because the space star has 1.2l most of the time it will be noisey in the cabin and the engine gauge will show hight number

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Space star 1310 View Post
    I bought a Mitsubishi Space star 1.2L cvt transmission with 34,000 km on it one year ago , in General I really love the car but there are few things I would like the share with u ...
    The car fuel economy is quiet amazing I get 18-20 km per litter (in Israel we the speed is by km/h) before the space star I had a pegeout 107 with manual transmission with the same fuel consumption now !

I noticed something wired about the cvt transmission which I like to share with you and see if I am not the only one how feels it :when statrting to drive sometimes it feels the car hesitate to increase speed like the car is moving to second gear and it only happens when I drive genetly , did someone noticed it also ��?
    Peugeot 107 eh? How was the car's ride compared to the Mirage?

More bumpy, less smooth?

We can't get any Peugeot's in Canada (anymore), but in Cuba, and other central & South American countries you can get Peugeot's I'm pretty sure.

Welcome to the Mirage forum eh.. I think you will find it fun. Unique car means some real characters on here who own Mirage's too. Cheers from Canada

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 667 Posts
    Welcome to the forum!

I don't have a CVT, but I do have a C1 which is practically identical to a 107.

The difference in ride between Mirage and Peugoet107/Citroen C1?
    A huge difference!
    The Mirage/Spacestar has a soft suspension too soft for some folks, but the C1/107 is an aweful bone-shaker and bone-rattler! I don't drive it much because the shaking hurts my back.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (05-28-2020)

Country
    Israel
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Peugeot 107 eh? How was the car's ride compared to the Mirage?

More bumpy, less smooth?

We can't get any Peugeot's in Canada (anymore), but in Cuba, and other central & South American countries you can get Peugeot's I'm pretty sure.

Welcome to the Mirage forum eh.. I think you will find it fun. Unique car means some real characters on here who own Mirage's too. Cheers from Canada

Well the pegeout 107 was more bumpy and felt less protected compare to the mirage, besides of that the engine in the pegeout 107 is only 1L but in case i turned the AC on the engine was weak too much and i decided i can not use it for long time, the version i had was with manual transmision and felt realy weak but it quit fun after all it felt like driving a carting car
    The mirage feels more like a car and less a toy to me and with the combibation of cvt gear it feels realy smooth and quick driving around town, i feel that driving in highway is more difficult for the mirage, i mean it get the speed limit and even above with not any hesitation but its more great than the pegeout 107

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Space star 1310 For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (05-29-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Well the pegeout 107 was more bumpy and felt less protected compare to the mirage, besides of that the engine in the pegeout 107 is only 1L but in case i turned the AC on the engine was weak too much and i decided i can not use it for long time, the version i had was with manual transmision and felt realy weak but it quit fun after all it felt like driving a carting car
    The mirage feels more like a car and less a toy to me and with the combibation of cvt gear it feels realy smooth and quick driving around town, i feel that driving in highway is more difficult for the mirage, i mean it get the speed limit and even above with not any hesitation but its more great than the pegeout 107
    With the average temperature as warm as it is in your region, regular CVT fluid and filters changes are a must. These CVT's don't like excessive heat or dirty fluid.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    107 was a fun car to drive eh, I can see that. Here in Canada many more people have big trucks etc. and Mirage's look more toy car beside a truck. But it's all relative. Cool taht you went from last gen city car the Peurgeot 107, to the newest city car generation the Mirage.

I find the interior of the Mirage seems like a very refined car. Many small cars have gimicky interiors. Tacky stuff. Look at the Fiat 500 with the exterior colour going into the interior. They think they will sell more that way. I'm sure your Peurgeot was like that no offense you know they make the Mirage interior classy and understated. All black and white, simple controls.

Also just reading up on the 107, the 3 cylinder diesel with an auto would have been slow. Acceleration that was like 80s Chrysler minivans, the first ones with the carburators. Glacial lol

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 667 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    107 was a fun car to drive eh, I can see that. Here in Canada many more people have big trucks etc. and Mirage's look more toy car beside a truck. But it's all relative. Cool taht you went from last gen city car the Peurgeot 107, to the newest city car generation the Mirage.

I find the interior of the Mirage seems like a very refined car. Many small cars have gimicky interiors. Tacky stuff. Look at the Fiat 500 with the exterior colour going into the interior. They think they will sell more that way. I'm sure your Peurgeot was like that no offense you know they make the Mirage interior classy and understated. All black and white, simple controls.

Also just reading up on the 107, the 3 cylinder diesel with an auto would have been slow. Acceleration that was like 80s Chrysler minivans, the first ones with the carburators. Glacial lol

My 1.0L Spacestar/Mirage has much worse acelleration than the 1.0L C1 / 107!
    The C1 has the 1.0L Toyota 1KR engine, the same as in Daihatsu Sirion, Charade, and some Toyota Yaris.
    The Mirage will achieve higher speed on the highway, because of the better aerodynamics, but from zero to 100km/h the C1 is much quicker.

Most impractical body design, unthoughtfully designed, I can't recall anything worse.
    The C1 has a really tiny luggage compartment, it will not even take a crate of Coke. The motor compartment is extremely cramped, and you have to take the front "bumper" off to adjust the alternator belt. Due to the method the bumper is clipped on at the ends, the expensive clips and mating parts of the bumper will break off very easily and the end of the bumper will not be flush with the fender any more. That cost$$$. To fill the brake fluid container, you first need to remove the plastic ventilation cover between hood and windshield.

If you are driving alone, and want to let some other person get into the car, you get a problem! As a driver you have to remove your seatbelt and actually leave the car to become able to open the passenger side door with the ignition key. Most 107 / C1 are only two door and no central locking. After putting a seat forward to climb into the rear, the folded seat will not readily go back to anything like a usable position. It takes a while and some curses to get it back into a position where somebody can actually sit in the front.
    The road and tyre noise is overwhelming. Noise dampening is practically non-existant. Touch it anywhere and it sounds like a tin drum. No comparision to the Mirage!
    The suspension is bone-hard, and front seats are too firm. After any prolonged drive, it causes back-ache and ass pane in most passengers. A family member uses it for long drives to get to university, albeit with a thick foam piece cut from an old matrass layed on the driver seat.

I prefer my slower and softer suspended Mirage, and I know why!
    Last edited by foama; 05-30-2020 at 10:53 AM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (05-30-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I don't know Daihatsu the manufacturer. I have heard the name, that is it. Just learned they are from Japan. I would not be surprised if some of their cars made it to USA/Canada as clone cars of American brands.