Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: After One Week Not Good.

Country
    UK
    Thanks

After One Week Not Good.

Firstly as this is a Mirage thread, here's a Mirage.

Name:  mirage_2454635.jpg
Views: 582
Size:  48.6 KB

Now that's me keeping in the spirit of things.

After one week the starter motor failed on my Mercedes, a peculiar thing, it'll refuse to start then a minute or two it'll start, they are all like that, peculiar. So it went back, and they are putting a new starter motor in.
    This happened Friday 29th, well they gave me a car to use for the duration. An old Honda Accord i-CDTi 2.2 diesel. It's a 2005 with nearly 109000 miles but what a car, it goes like sh?t off a stick and at 70 mph it's barely above idle ar 2000 revs. However, I'm impatient, I want the A-Class back.Name:  IMG_20200531_122001520_HDR.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  98.3 KBName:  IMG_20200530_142933691.jpg
Views: 516
Size:  84.8 KBName:  IMG_20200530_142941922_HDR.jpg
Views: 505
Size:  96.8 KB

It has its downsides though, the cockpit is a sea of black, devoid of interior uniqueness, drab and non inspiring.
    I suppose it's like your coffin, you don't care because you've expired. The Honda is just that, a soulless chariot to get you from A to B.

Last edited by Eggman; 06-01-2020 at 08:16 AM. Reason: Fixed BB Code.
    Growing old is compulsory- Growing up is optional

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Keep up with the postings! I've learned alot about about the variety of UK models. I'm still jealous y'all get all the coolest subcompacts/compacts across the pond. I'm assuming since your ride is a Mercedes the starter motor is pricey?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I was thinking "an old Accord?" *in the USA, it's called the Acura TSX here lol* and yeah, I do know that they were called the Accord outside of the USA too. BUT, I didn't know they made diesel models, haha. That's new to me. And, wow... just realizing that the car is considered "old", I guess, that accord is 15 years old!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.4 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Keep up with the postings! I've learned alot about about the variety of UK models. I'm still jealous y'all get all the coolest subcompacts/compacts across the pond. I'm assuming since your ride is a Mercedes the starter motor is pricey?
    Pricey? All you have to do is say, "Yes, It's a Mercedes" Their eyes narrow and you can see them think, "how much folding can I get out of this mug? I won't go to a Mercedes main agent, I can wipe my own arse without being charged an exorbitant fee by some herbert with a long grin on his face.
    However, here in the UK and that other place Your-rope there are Mickey Mouse companies that sell sh?t, they'll work, for a while, then go pop. It's expensive to have it fitted though. My lads who look after my cars quoted me £427.

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 2of9 View Post
    I was thinking "an old Accord?" *in the USA, it's called the Acura TSX here lol* and yeah, I do know that they were called the Accord outside of the USA too. BUT, I didn't know they made diesel models, haha. That's new to me. And, wow... just realizing that the car is considered "old", I guess, that accord is 15 years old!
    Hope your safe and well in Minnesota (the news)

Yes it is 15 years old, marvellous engine. Leave home at 09:00 and you get to where you want to go before you've left. Good lump.
    Would I buy one? err, NO, smelly diesel gets everywhere but eerily the car is so silent, characterless, dreary drab interior, no phone connection option (on this year) seats are uncomfortable, 15 years and the paint has badly faded, mostly now a dull pink, oops.
    The last time I had a diesel (and the first time I might add) was 1986.
    Diesel, Beelzebub's creation.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by itschad View Post

Yes it is 15 years old, marvellous engine. Leave home at 09:00 and you get to where you want to go before you've left. Good lump.
    Would I buy one? err, NO, smelly diesel gets everywhere but eerily the car is so silent, characterless, dreary drab interior, no phone connection option (on this year) seats are uncomfortable, 15 years and the paint has badly faded, mostly now a dull pink, oops.
    Diesel cars are somewhat uncommon here. As far as 2005 vehicles go, I would take a 2005 Honda Civic or Accord & a 2005 Toyota Corolla or Camry over any sedan produced on the market today. Those were some of the most dependable proven powertrains every built. Many of those cars are still on the road today.

How many cars came with Bluetooth in 2005? Personally, I don't care for sedans. These, however, are the vintage cars I respect the most. These cars provided reliable, affordable transportation for millions of owners. Those impressed with fancy dashes & an overload of electronics will not be impressed with these older models, but all that stuff comes at a price.

I've said this before in other threads - I don't believe touchscreens in cars should be legal. Knowing others have this feature doesn't make me feel safer on the road. Anything that pulls you eyes off the road is not good. I see this first hand all the time. I have 4 hours of btw lessons with 15.5-16 years olds later today. The last thing they need to be messing with is a touch screen device on their dash, & that really applies to everyone on the road.

I use a 2015 Chevy Impala Limited (10 years newer than the Accord you are driving) for driving lessons, & it doesn't haven't Bluetooth or any other fancy features. As far as I am concerned, that's a plus for the car!

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Diesel cars are somewhat uncommon here. As far as 2005 vehicles go, I would take a 2005 Honda Civic or Accord & a 2005 Toyota Corolla or Camry over any sedan produced on the market today. Those were some of the most dependable proven powertrains every built. Many of those cars are still on the road today.

How many cars came with Bluetooth in 2005? Personally, I don't care for sedans. These, however, are the vintage cars I respect the most. These cars provided reliable, affordable transportation for millions of owners. Those impressed with fancy dashes & an overload of electronics will not be impressed with these older models, but all that stuff comes at a price.

I've said this before in other threads - I don't believe touchscreens in cars should be legal. Knowing others have this feature doesn't make me feel safer on the road. Anything that pulls you eyes off the road is not good. I see this first hand all the time. I have 4 hours of btw lessons with 15.5-16 years olds later today. The last thing they need to be messing with is a touch screen device on their dash, & that really applies to everyone on the road.

I use a 2015 Chevy Impala Limited (10 years newer than the Accord you are driving) for driving lessons, & it doesn't haven't Bluetooth or any other fancy features. As far as I am concerned, that's a plus for the car!
    Hi Mark, firstly bluetooth were in cars as far back as 2001, my son, born 1979, passed his driving test in 1999 (second attempt) and it wasn't long after that he was mentioning bluetooth (yeah, back then mobile phones to me were the Devil's own.
    Funny, I've always preferred a 4 door saloon (sedan) over the hatchback, always have done.
    Here is a picture of my Rover 75 4 door, the only car I've ever kept a picture of. A magic carpet ride and so so quiet.Name:  22730146_10214521060599714_3999681264767220217_n.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  54.3 KB

However, I do agree that any distraction of the driver has the potential to maim and/or kill. I can never understand that they banned holding a mobile phone whilst driving but can freely talk using bluetooth.

I go back to the 70's driving, the most complicated thing on cars of that era were the points within the distributor cap, everything else a piece of cake.
    Did you get the Toyota Avensis over there, a great car.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Hi Mark, firstly bluetooth were in cars as far back as 2001, my son, born 1979, passed his driving test in 1999 (second attempt) and it wasn't long after that he was mentioning bluetooth (yeah, back then mobile phones to me were the Devil's own.
    Funny, I've always preferred a 4 door saloon (sedan) over the hatchback, always have done.
    Here is a picture of my Rover 75 4 door, the only car I've ever kept a picture of. A magic carpet ride and so so quiet.Name:  22730146_10214521060599714_3999681264767220217_n.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  54.3 KB

However, I do agree that any distraction of the driver has the potential to maim and/or kill. I can never understand that they banned holding a mobile phone whilst driving but can freely talk using bluetooth.

I go back to the 70's driving, the most complicated thing on cars of that era were the points within the distributor cap, everything else a piece of cake.
    Did you get the Toyota Avensis over there, a great car.
    Tercel, Supra, Celica, Echo, Yaris, Camry, Corolla, Matrix, Avalon, various Prius models & the Scion models are the main Toyota models that come to mind for me in the States.

From my experience, most 2000 vehicles still came with cassette players. By 2005, most would have been CD players. I owned a 2003 that had both. Then again, I didn't own a cell phone back in 2003. I didn't own a smart phone until 2014. I wouldn't expect a 2005 vintage car to have Bluetooth. My 2017 Mirage didn't come with Bluetooth as standard. It was an added item in 2017, & Bluetooth didn't become standard on a Mirage until 2018 here.
    Backup cameras becoming mandatory in 2018 probably helped Bluetooth become the norm here, too.

For me the best change in cars has been the introduction of electronic fuel injection. My first couple small cars with carburetors had issues that never really got fully resolved when worked on. I don't miss carburetors on cars. I think cars made some vast improvements during the 1990s & fuel injection was a big part of that.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts

If I could get hands on a manual Ford Fiesta made in the UK that would be a dream come true. This is probably anecdotal but I've heard the Fiestas made in the UK hold up better than the ones made in America?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    If I could get hands on a manual Ford Fiesta made in the UK that would be a dream come true. This is probably anecdotal but I've heard the Fiestas made in the UK hold up better than the ones made in America?
    They're made in Mexico.

(blank signature)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex1a1f For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (06-02-2020)