Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mirage on Film

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Mirage on Film

Been driving around a lot of country roads on weekends with my wife, in lieu of anything else to do during pandemic. I also have a film photography hobby. The last little while I've been playing with a subminiature Soviet camera, the Kiev-30M. It's hard to get the proper film for it, so I've been loading it with 16mm Kodak motion picture stock. The frames are tiny and I'm using the wrong process to develop it, but it still looks interesting.

Anyway. Car. Here! Parked near the Welland Canal around Port Colborne, Ontario. And one of my stalwart travelling companion.

Name:  scan751.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  94.2 KB

Name:  scan700.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  96.8 KB

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Piet For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (06-02-2020),dspace9 (06-01-2020),Loren (06-01-2020),MetroMPG (06-05-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Whoa, neat! Also a photog enthusiast here

I have a Nikon film camera (the Nikon N80) and only used it at least 4-5 shutters on it since the film rolls are $6 per roll lol But man, I really want to get into since film just has a characteristic to it compared to digital. On top of that, I don't know how to process the film. My local camera shop does it but it's like $2 per image (to print and for a digital file). (sighs).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.4 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Very cool!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 2of9 View Post
    Whoa, neat! Also a photog enthusiast here

I have a Nikon film camera (the Nikon N80) and only used it at least 4-5 shutters on it since the film rolls are $6 per roll lol But man, I really want to get into since film just has a characteristic to it compared to digital. On top of that, I don't know how to process the film. My local camera shop does it but it's like $2 per image (to print and for a digital file). (sighs).
    Black and white is pretty simple to develop at home without a dark room. I buy bulk rolls of 35MM - it's a lot cheaper. And the chemicals can be diluted a fair bit. I don't print to photo paper either - I just scan the negatives and then I can print the digital image as needed.

Colour film is more complicated - even I take that to the camera store. Though you can get them to just develop the negatives and then scan them yourself, for a lot cheaper than getting prints.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Very cool!
    Thanks!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Piet View Post
    Black and white is pretty simple to develop at home without a dark room. I buy bulk rolls of 35MM - it's a lot cheaper. And the chemicals can be diluted a fair bit. I don't print to photo paper either - I just scan the negatives and then I can print the digital image as needed.

Colour film is more complicated - even I take that to the camera store. Though you can get them to just develop the negatives and then scan them yourself, for a lot cheaper than getting prints.
    Scanning color (negative) film can be its own art.

I have a much larger soviet camera: A Kiev 60, which is basically a medium format SLR that looks like an oversized 35mm SLR.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 33.6 mpg (US) ... 14.3 km/L ... 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by timw4mail View Post
    Scanning color (negative) film can be its own art.

I have a much larger soviet camera: A Kiev 60, which is basically a medium format SLR that looks like an oversized 35mm SLR.
    Same! Well, a 60C. I also have the Kiev 88 "Hasselbladski" and a nice Zorki Leica clone.
    Name:  scan617.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  93.1 KB

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Its funny that its a Soviet camera, because before I read the post, I saw the first picture, and for whatever reason, I thought "Oooooh, it looks like driving thru Cherynoble"
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Piet View Post
    Same! Well, a 60C. I also have the Kiev 88 "Hasselbladski" and a nice Zorki Leica clone.
    Name:  scan617.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  93.1 KB
    Very Neat!

I used to have a Pentacon Six TL (120mm) camera from the DDR, it was a beast!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentac...01902,_ako.jpg

It took *fantastic* pictures too, had a top down range finder. Had to give it up as developing 120mm film is unholy expensive now.

But yeah, that Camera with the Carl Zeiss Jena Biometar & Kodak Portra 160 Film = Legit.
    Last edited by javensbukan; 06-03-2020 at 02:43 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by javensbukan View Post
    It took *fantastic* pictures too, had a top down range finder. Had to give it up as developing 120mm film is unholy expensive now.
    I don't remember getting charged more for 120 than a roll of 35mm... but it does cost more per frame.

Here's one I took with the Kiev 60/ Jupiter 36 (200/3.5)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 33.6 mpg (US) ... 14.3 km/L ... 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to timw4mail For This Useful Post:

javensbukan (06-08-2020)