Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: (Future) Mirage Owner - Looking for tips on buying used

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Question (Future) Mirage Owner - Looking for tips on buying used

Hello everyone. My name is Lalo and I am a future Mirage owner.

Currently, I have a 2009 Mazda 3, but I am hoping to get rid of it soon. It is at 190,000 and I bought it off a guy who refused to maintain it for over 4 years so it's had a lot of problems. Between replacing the transmission, poor gas mileage (15-18 MPG on a good day), and just overall uncomfortable, I am done with it.

So now begins the search for a new car. Inevitably, I stumbled upon the Mitsubishi Mirage. Initially I was put off by some of the negative reviews and I thought it was something to avoid. But then I began reading more into it and seeing all the happy owners rave about the car that I decided to give it a chance. I'm glad I did because I test drove one at a dealership and I could not be happier. It feels like a normal car. Yes it's simple, it's not the fastest, and it's not the most popular. But it does what I want perfectly: surprisingly comfortable, cheap to own, maintain, and insure, small, reliable, and fuel efficient. That's all I wanted in a car and that's what I found.

Unfortunately, a new Mirage is out of my price range here in California. Even at $12k offer I got, the total was going to be $13.5K. I could finance, but frankly I don't want to have another car payment. I'm trying to save for the down payment of a home in a few years, so I'm trying to avoid having to spend much on a car. That being said, I am more than happy to shop for a used car. And a Mirage used runs between $4K-$7K which is much more in line with my budget.

However, this is going to be the 2nd used car I buy so now I am being more cautious rather than jumping on the first one I see. So that being said, are there any tips for someone shopping for a used Mirage? Besides the general inspection of any car, are there certain things I should check to make sure that I am getting a good Mirage? What is a good mileage for a used one? And does it matter what model year I buy? I am looking towards buying one by July, so any help would be really appreciated.

Thank you for your time and have a great day.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Hi Lalo64, and welcome to the Mirage Forum. I think a good used Mirage is a great bargain. It's a newer car with a cheap price. Compared to many.

I've been a Mirage ES manual owner for over 6 years now. And overall I'm a satisfied customer. I will say, I would stay away from the 2013 builds. They are often sold as 2014s... mine had a faulty starter issue. So if you hear grinding when you start your tester, that's no good lol.

You don't live in the rust belt, but definitely have a look underneath for rust. Bring a flashlight.

I saw in the new consumer reports black and white edition at the pharmacy, that the Mirage gets above average (half green circle) for reliability.

Get a manual tranny if I were you, sure makes it more fun.
    Cheers from Canada!

I found this professional reviewer from Canada actually gets it with the Mirage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgNEgc8pXcs

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lalo64 View Post
    However, this is going to be the 2nd used car I buy so now I am being more cautious rather than jumping on the first one I see. So that being said, are there any tips for someone shopping for a used Mirage?
    Hello Lalo64 and welcome to the forum.

From my perspective, the number one item to look out for would be to get a manual transmission. I'm sure others here will point out the pros and cons of the CVT. These are proving to be solid cars otherwise, and even the CVTs are holding up pretty good when taken care of.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    These cars are extremely reliable and have very few problems. But there are a few things to look out for:

-A fair number of 2014-2015 Mirages have rear wheels that are misaligned from the factory. The only way to deal with this is to replace the rear axle, which Mitsubishi will do if the car is still under warranty. But if the car you are looking at has 20k miles and a brand new set of rear tires, that should be a red flag.

-Some very early 2014 CVT Mirages have a ring gear that was not designed or installed properly. This can lead to grinding when engaging the starter. The only remedy is to replace the ring gear, the starter, or both.

-The 2014 and early 2015 Mirages have heater cores with a defect. This defect causes them to slowly plug up which reduces heat output on the passenger side. Later cars do not have the issue. Not a big deal if you live in a temperate area, but it can be an issue if the weather is often very cold.

-For 2017, Mitsubishi changed the design of the exhaust on the Mirage. This can cause a squeaking or creaking sound to come from the exhaust on acceleration. This noise is benign, but annoying. Early cars do not have this problem.

-The 2014-2015 cars have smaller brakes. The brakes work just fine, but pad life is lower than average. Mitsubishi made the brakes larger starting in 2017.

-The 2014-2015 cars have softer suspension. While this creates a compliant ride, the suspension is soft to the point of almost being under-dampened. Early cars can be a bit crashy going over large bumps.

-There were a handful of minor recalls issued for this car, which Mitsubishi will handle under warranty.

-On some cars, the front window regulators were not installed correctly at the factory. This can result in the window failing to go up or down.

-The lug nuts on alloy wheel-equipped Mirages corrode and tarnish with prolonged exposure to, well...AIR.

-The clutch cable on 2014-2020 Mirages sometimes snaps prematurely and unexpectedly. It can happen in as little as 15k, but most go 100k+ before failing. Replacement is not expensive or difficult, but it may take some time to get the dealership-only part.

-The CVTs on 2014-2020 Mirages are good, but can sometimes have problems when they get to 120k+.

-Many Mirages have a quirk related to cold starting. When the car is started cold, moved a short distance, then shut off, it may not want to start immediately the next time you try. This seems to be related to over-fueling, and cranking the starter while holding the gas pedal to the floor will clear the engine and allow it to start.

-Aftermarket parts support is spotty at best for these cars.

Other than these few relatively minor issues, these cars are BULLETPROOF. We really should get together on making a "Used Mirage Buyer's Guide" that can be stickied here since the Mirage is now seven model years old.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (06-05-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    We really should get together on making a "Used Mirage Buyer's Guide"...
    +1

Now on to some more buying tips...

Normally I wouldn't encourage someone to finance a new car, but the Mirage may be an exception. A new Mirage can make a lot of financial sense if you are able to buy it at a significant discount.

Money is cheap (2.5% new car loans) and it's a buyer's market for new cars. If you're willing to travel, you can find a new Mirage for $10,000. That price could go even lower if rebates increase.

Name:  whitebear2.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  90.0 KB

New Mirages come with a 10 year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty. That only applies to the original owner. If you buy a used Mirage, the powertrain warranty drops down to a 5 year/60,000 mile warranty. Very few people have needed the powertrain warranty because these cars are fairly simple and extremely durable. The only (somewhat) weak link is the CVT.

If you need an example of a perfect used Mirage, check out this one.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Welcome, Lalo.

I'm subscribed for updates. Good luck on your search!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Salvage Title Mirages

• Make sure any used Mirage has a clean (non-salvage) title.
    • Spend the money on a CarFax or AutoCheck report.
    • Google the car's VIN number to make sure it wasn't at a Copart auction 2 months ago.

Because of its low value and expensive body parts, a Mirage can often be totalled by a minor collision. I see a lot of repaired Mirages on Craigslist with salvage titles. You need to do your homework if you are considering a car being sold with a salvage/rebranded title. The seller needs to have photos showing the damage to the car before it was repaired.

Salvage title cars should not be priced at 90% of retail prices. But many times I see them selling for almost the same price as a car with a clean title. That's crazy. Unless a salvage title car has repairs you can verify AND it is being sold at a significant discount, just pass on it and keep looking.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (06-09-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Hello everyone. My name is Lalo and I am a future Mirage owner.

Currently, I have a 2009 Mazda 3, but I am hoping to get rid of it soon. It is at 190,000 and I bought it off a guy who refused to maintain it for over 4 years so it's had a lot of problems. Between replacing the transmission, poor gas mileage (15-18 MPG on a good day), and just overall uncomfortable, I am done with it.

So now begins the search for a new car. Inevitably, I stumbled upon the Mitsubishi Mirage. Initially I was put off by some of the negative reviews and I thought it was something to avoid. But then I began reading more into it and seeing all the happy owners rave about the car that I decided to give it a chance. I'm glad I did because I test drove one at a dealership and I could not be happier. It feels like a normal car. Yes it's simple, it's not the fastest, and it's not the most popular. But it does what I want perfectly: surprisingly comfortable, cheap to own, maintain, and insure, small, reliable, and fuel efficient. That's all I wanted in a car and that's what I found.

Unfortunately, a new Mirage is out of my price range here in California. Even at $12k offer I got, the total was going to be $13.5K. I could finance, but frankly I don't want to have another car payment. I'm trying to save for the down payment of a home in a few years, so I'm trying to avoid having to spend much on a car. That being said, I am more than happy to shop for a used car. And a Mirage used runs between $4K-$7K which is much more in line with my budget.

However, this is going to be the 2nd used car I buy so now I am being more cautious rather than jumping on the first one I see. So that being said, are there any tips for someone shopping for a used Mirage? Besides the general inspection of any car, are there certain things I should check to make sure that I am getting a good Mirage? What is a good mileage for a used one? And does it matter what model year I buy? I am looking towards buying one by July, so any help would be really appreciated.

Thank you for your time and have a great day.
    I wish that I had your wisdom at a younger age. I have been very pleased with my 2017 ES manual. At the time (summer/fall of 2017) of my purchase, new ES manuals were selling for $9,000-9,500 brand new at some dealership around the country. These are few of my suggestions -

If you can afford an updated 2017+ Mirage, I would go that route. It's not that the 2014-15 are that different, but a 2014-15 factory warranty would most likely be expired. A new Mirage comes with 5-year/60,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty, 10-year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty, and 5-year/unlimited miles roadside assistance. The 5-year/60,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty transfers to the second owner. That would make a 2017+/lower mileage Mirage a bit more appealing to me. If something came up, it will most likely be taken care of for a few years/miles by a dealership.

Having said that - If I was low on funds, I wouldn't hesitate to own or buy a cheaper 2014-15 Mirage manual. That statement, however, comes from someone who only buys manual vehicles. If you feel you must have CVT, I am not trying to bash it.

I don't feel the ES (base model) is all that basic compared to economy cars of 20-30 years ago. If you are buying a used Mirage the trim level may not matter that much, unless you want a manual. The Mirage has remained unchanged since 2017. Each year a standard feature or two that already existed on the upper trim levels has been added to the lower trim levels. Those items may or may not be important to you?

2017 (ES, SE, GT) - updated Mirage appeared. 74 hp to 78 hp, new front end, & some other minor changes occurred. ES & SE came standard with a manual transmission.

2018 (ES, SE, GT) - Standard features (Bluetooth & backup camera) were added to the ES. Only the ES comes standard with a manual transmission.

2019 (ES, RF, LE, SE, GT) - Standard features (cruise control & 6-way adjustable driver's seat) were added to the ES, RF, & LE.

2020 (ES, LE, SE, GT) - Standard feature (auto climate control) was added to the ES & LE.

Summary -
    2017-2020: SE & GT have remained basically unchanged cars, except for the SE manual option in 2017.

If you bought a 2017-18, an after market cruise could be easily added. Others have just enabled the cruise on their own after buying the right parts.

All Mirages 2015-2020 have comes with some of the same basic features (A/C, power windows, remote power locks, etc....) in the States. Some markets like Canada offered a more basic Mirage without those features.

I bought a Mirage a few years ago when you could still take one home for under $10,000 OTD. That included everything - tax, registration, doc. fees, destination charges, etc..... Today that price has gone up some, but the base Mirage has a few more perks to go with that price increase. Of the added features, cruise is the only appealing one to me. Auto climate controls in 2020 is more of a turn off for me, but it's not a deal breaker. It really comes down to what is important to you. In my case, I will not compromise on a manual transmission. I like small cars with a manual transmission powertrain. For example, the new Yaris hatchback doesn't offer that option. Thus, I have zero interest in it. We are all different, however.

I really think a 2017+, lower mileage Mirage is a great value. If I had to replace my current Mirage, it's what I would buy again. Good luck with your Mirage shopping! Feel free to share Mirages you are considering. Forum members are good about sharing their thoughts!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (06-09-2020)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Thank you everyone who has responded. The tips are very much appreciated. I was about to get a nice, 2017 model with only 40K miles for $6K over the weekend, but someone beat me to it. Oh well, it happens. So I am continuing to search for one, but I've basically made up my mind that I want a Mirage.

Just to get some more advice, let me add a couple of details to what I am looking for.

- CVT. Partially because it gets better mileage and because manual Mirage are rare here in CA. But mainly because I don't know how to drive stick shift. I tried learning on my dad's old pickup truck and ended up blowing the clutch. My dad says the clutch was already shot before I drove it, but that put me off from learning again. While I am not against learning to drive manual, I also don't have a car to practice with right now. So I would really like an automatic. I've heard horror stories from CVTs, especially from Nissan, but I've also heard that the ones in the Mirage are pretty sturdy as long as they get proper maintenance.

- Prefer used over new. Don't get me wrong, I think a brand new Mirage is a great deal and I like the standard equipment that comes with the newer models. The problem in my case is that since I am a relatively young driver and have a prior accident from almost 3 years ago, my insurance rates are expensive for a brand new car. If I were to buy a new car, financing would require I pay for full coverage which would end up being around $250+ a month (compared to $100+ for minimum coverage according to a few quotes I've received) on top of the monthly payment for the car itself. So in my case, I would be better off buying a used Mirage because of the lower insurance cost and overall lower month to month cost.

- "Powertrain warranty only applies to the original owner." I would like some clarification on this. According to the Mitsubishi website (www.mitsubishicars.com/who-we-are/warranty), the remaining balance of the 10-year, 100,000 mile powertrain warranty as well as the 5 year 60,000 mile warranty transfers to "any subsequent owners." Has anyone had to use their warranty or have had issues claiming warranty as a 2nd+ owner? The warranty is part of why I chose the Mirage over all the other subcompact cars. While not a complete deal breaker, it is nice to have that peace of mind.

- I'm not picky about the model year I am able to find. Sure, if I could find a newer model year for a great price, I would be more than happy to buy it. But I am not against buying a cheaper, older model as long as there are no major issues or changes. At the very least, I would like to be aware of any changes or issues ahead of time so that I can make a decision and be ready for it. Thank you to everyone who has mentioned the model year changes and issues. I really appreciate it.

Overall, I am still looking and I will still bring my dad who is a mechanic to inspect the specific car I plan on buying. But at least now I have more knowledge to help me make a purchasing decision. I plan to keep the Mirage long term until it's completely worn out or if any changes in my life require me to get a different car.

I'll try to check the rest of the forum and update you guys on where I'm at. Thank you everyone and have a great day.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Thank you everyone who has responded. The tips are very much appreciated. I was about to get a nice, 2017 model with only 40K miles for $6K over the weekend, but someone beat me to it. Oh well, it happens. So I am continuing to search for one, but I've basically made up my mind that I want a Mirage.

Just to get some more advice, let me add a couple of details to what I am looking for.

- CVT. Partially because it gets better mileage and because manual Mirage are rare here in CA. But mainly because I don't know how to drive stick shift. I tried learning on my dad's old pickup truck and ended up blowing the clutch. My dad says the clutch was already shot before I drove it, but that put me off from learning again. While I am not against learning to drive manual, I also don't have a car to practice with right now. So I would really like an automatic. I've heard horror stories from CVTs, especially from Nissan, but I've also heard that the ones in the Mirage are pretty sturdy as long as they get proper maintenance.

- Prefer used over new. Don't get me wrong, I think a brand new Mirage is a great deal and I like the standard equipment that comes with the newer models. The problem in my case is that since I am a relatively young driver and have a prior accident from almost 3 years ago, my insurance rates are expensive for a brand new car. If I were to buy a new car, financing would require I pay for full coverage which would end up being around $250+ a month (compared to $100+ for minimum coverage according to a few quotes I've received) on top of the monthly payment for the car itself. So in my case, I would be better off buying a used Mirage because of the lower insurance cost and overall lower month to month cost.

- "Powertrain warranty only applies to the original owner." I would like some clarification on this. According to the Mitsubishi website (www.mitsubishicars.com/who-we-are/warranty), the remaining balance of the 10-year, 100,000 mile powertrain warranty as well as the 5 year 60,000 mile warranty transfers to "any subsequent owners." Has anyone had to use their warranty or have had issues claiming warranty as a 2nd+ owner? The warranty is part of why I chose the Mirage over all the other subcompact cars. While not a complete deal breaker, it is nice to have that peace of mind.

- I'm not picky about the model year I am able to find. Sure, if I could find a newer model year for a great price, I would be more than happy to buy it. But I am not against buying a cheaper, older model as long as there are no major issues or changes. At the very least, I would like to be aware of any changes or issues ahead of time so that I can make a decision and be ready for it. Thank you to everyone who has mentioned the model year changes and issues. I really appreciate it.

Overall, I am still looking and I will still bring my dad who is a mechanic to inspect the specific car I plan on buying. But at least now I have more knowledge to help me make a purchasing decision. I plan to keep the Mirage long term until it's completely worn out or if any changes in my life require me to get a different car.

I'll try to check the rest of the forum and update you guys on where I'm at. Thank you everyone and have a great day.
    5-year/60,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty will transfer to the second owner. The 10-year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty applies to the original owner only. That is why I took the time to share my thoughts about buying a lower mileage (under 60,000 miles) 2017+ Mirage. The 2014-15 Mirages are probably past factory warranty.