Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rear wiper replacement? Which is good

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    My new 12" bosch rear wiper came in the mail the last week. My new wiper works great, and fits perfect.

Time will tell if my new Bosch rear holds up better, however. Any other brand is worth a shot. The OEM Mitsubishi rear wiper is a waste of money, doesn't hold up at all and is embarrassing since they rip and hang there.

Anyways years ago same issue with my OEM fronts. They wore out BEFORE the first winter practically. Streaky wipers. So I went bosch, and they have held up for 5 years+ now. Anyway I felt after the storm in Ontario yesterday it was time to upgrade my bosch fronts, tears or not, because they are starting to streak.. any brand does eventually. Mitsubishi is normally high quality, but their wipers and weird smelling original wiper fluid is another thing to mention.
    Good to know the Bosch wipers last so long.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Good to know the Bosch wipers last so long.
    Any blade refill will last a long time (regardless of price) if you maintain it. That means keeping it clean with 70% iso alcohol and wipe it with a piece of newspaper every time you wash the car or every 30 days. And then when you start to see streaks on windshield its time to wipe the blade down with a small square of fine grit sandpaper. That will sharpen the blade and remove any burrs. I can make any brand blade last at least 2 years with this procedure.

Easy as pie, just add it to your phones calendar reminder.
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to fc321 For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (06-21-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post
    Any blade refill will last a long time (regardless of price) if you maintain it. That means keeping it clean with 70% iso alcohol and wipe it with a piece of newspaper every time you wash the car or every 30 days. And then when you start to see streaks on windshield its time to wipe the blade down with a small square of fine grit sandpaper. That will sharpen the blade and remove any burrs. I can make any brand blade last at least 2 years with this procedure.

Easy as pie, just add it to your phones calendar reminder.
    I don't find all wipers being of the same quality, but it does help to maintain them a bit.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (06-21-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Once I put my new ones on in a few weeks, I might start regularly wiping of my blades with rubbing alcohol. Seems like a good idea to keep them in pristine shape.

My issue with wipers has always been tearing from winter conditions. Not sure why Bosch seem to hold up so much better, besides more streaking over time. That's with any blade though over time.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    As others have mentioned, the Trico 12-A fits perfectly. It works just fine.

I am also a believer in 'maintaining' wiper blades instead of replacing them when they get a little streaky. Like any other part of the car, they need to be cleaned every now and then.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (06-21-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    As of yesterday, I have new front driver's wiper, and passenger's wiper for my Mirage. Also new rear 3rd wiper. 12" and swapped out piece of cake.

Not a piece of cake with the front wipers lol. The new style Bosch wipers is annoying pretty much. Now that they're on, they work great. Amazing performance so far.

The new style large plastic covers on the wipers look funny, and giant especially on a Mirage.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,820 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    The new style large plastic covers on the wipers look funny, and giant especially on a Mirage.
    Let's see some pictures of these clownishly-large wiper covers.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    You can see how the passenger wiper looks funny now from certain angles. The wipe the wiper does though 100% effective. I haven't seen a more effective wiper blade before, so the winter will be interesting.

Name:  new wipers both.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  62.2 KB

Name:  new wiper passenger.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  38.4 KB

12. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (07-05-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I noticed I have a lot of wiper blade fade going on.. the black on my car has turned into a matte grey and dulled out from the weather.. I never noticed until I looked at my wiper blade photos.

It's just a car, but is there a polishing product out there anyone recommend??? To spruce up all the unpainted parts of my Mirage's exterior. Whether this be metal wiper blades, or plastic parts. Even my door handles all look pretty dull, and weather-worn.

Name:  wiper blade fade.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  64.5 KB