Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RE: Any Accountants on this forum who can shed some light on if it's a good field??

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Unhappy RE: Any Accountants on this forum who can shed some light on if it's a good field??

Backstory: Soooo l graduated HS in 2015 and didn't know what l should do for college, l've been trying to complete my AA of Arts but it's taken me 5 years bc of working full-time and going to school part-time...then a friend recommended l go into IT....but as l'm taking IT courses l realize l'm not apt for it.....l'm 24 and thinking of going for an AA of Accounting but am not sure how much math is involved? Is it worth it for me to go into Accounting? l'm still in progress of completing my AA of Arts but many of my friends in IT have told me there is little room to move up and today, one of my co-workers who works in Accounting-told me l should bite the bullet and go into Accounting as l could make more money and be able to have a stable career....l know l'm still very young but l don't want to keep wasting my time and my work's money over what degree l should get....any advice??? Please be respectful, thanks.

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    AA Accounting is easy to get and usually doesn't take much math. An AA Accounting required the same classes for a AA General Business which I needed to transfer to University.

Both career choices are good based on the supply and demand for your area. Generally an AA accounting is only going to get you a bookkeeping/clerk job which has a pay cap. There's also a high supply since those jobs are being applied by highschool students and generally lots of women, they want someone who will work there for 40 years and then retire.

I have a BS Accounting with 150 CPA credits. I did bookkeeping for almost two years now. Graduated last year. I found it harder to get an internship interview during college than getting job interviews after graduating. Problem is that Seattle is the new SanFrancisco. Lots of people moving here because of big tech companies so entry level college grads are competing with 5+ years experience finance, accountants, CS, etc. I got many rejections for Staff Accountant 1 because they hired a Staff 2.

I'm actually considering going into HVAC because of how bad the office job market is in Western WA, so please do more research of the current situation of the job market rather than just pay levels. People here are demanding 2+ years bookkeeping experience while only paying $15-18hr. I'm making $20/hr right now and recruiters won't leave me alone about these lower paying jobs.

edit: make sure not to fall into job propaganda. Saw an article saying there's not enough CPAs or graduates with the CPA credits, and that firms are desperate for CPAs. Yeah well doesn't look like they're desperate from my experience, even had an interview with Moss Adams last summer.
    Last edited by Marklovski; 06-09-2020 at 08:31 PM.
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Marklovski For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (06-09-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Marklovski View Post
    AA Accounting is easy to get and usually doesn't take much math. An AA Accounting required the same classes for a AA General Business which I needed to transfer to University.

Both career choices are good based on the supply and demand for your area. Generally an AA accounting is only going to get you a bookkeeping/clerk job which has a pay cap. There's also a high supply since those jobs are being applied by highschool students and generally lots of women, they want someone who will work there for 40 years and then retire.

I have a BS Accounting with 150 CPA credits. I did bookkeeping for almost two years now. Graduated last year. I found it harder to get an internship interview during college than getting job interviews after graduating. Problem is that Seattle is the new SanFrancisco. Lots of people moving here because of big tech companies so entry level college grads are competing with 5+ years experience finance, accountants, CS, etc. I got many rejections for Staff Accountant 1 because they hired a Staff 2.

I'm actually considering going into HVAC because of how bad the office job market is in Western WA, so please do more research of the current situation of the job market rather than just pay levels. People here are demanding 2+ years bookkeeping experience while only paying $15-18hr. I'm making $20/hr right now and recruiters won't leave me alone about these lower paying jobs.

edit: make sure not to fall into job propaganda. Saw an article saying there's not enough CPAs or graduates with the CPA credits, and that firms are desperate for CPAs. Yeah well doesn't look like they're desperate from my experience, even had an interview with Moss Adams last summer.
    Good to know...l know it would be hard for me if more people came in with higher degrees....thought it might be better working from home but like you said is hard to find someone who will hire...thanks for all the info.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That's also the problem is l don't know what l want to go into....very frustrating, wish l would have picked something in HS...Marklovski-are you happy with your job now? l originally was interested in Accounting bc you can work from home...but l also know that with only an AA there is little when getting interviewed for jobs...also l would basically have to start over if l switched to Accounting...l will also talk with some of my co-workers who work in the Accounting wing to get additional input.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageRally View Post
    to have a stable career....l know l'm still very young but l don't want to keep wasting my time and my work's money over what degree l should get....any advice??? Please be respectful, thanks.
    Honestly if you don't like math, I don't see why you are going for accounting. Same with carpentry, your basic working math skills just make so many trades happen. You can't go into mechanics if you don't like working with your hands. That's my respectful advice. There are millions of jobs out there, just follow your Arts dream and that is where you will just fall into something.

If you can stomach it do medical field.

My old friend is an Accountant, but the job market is bad now and also, she does book keeping on the side, so it's common practice. Good luck friend!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (06-09-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Honestly if you don't like math, I don't see why you are going for accounting. Same with carpentry, your basic working math skills just make so many trades happen. You can't go into mechanics if you don't like working with your hands. That's my respectful advice. There are millions of jobs out there, just follow your Arts dream and that is where you will just fall into something.

If you can stomach it do medical field.

My old friend is an Accountant, but the job market is bad now and also, she does book keeping on the side, so it's common practice. Good luck friend!
    Thanks Dspace9 l originally wanted to go for Automotive...but tool debt and low pay is what made me leave...now l work in a factory making almost $19hr but again, don't want to be in a factory my whole life...also talked with my counselor at college, he doesn't know what l should do and he's the Counselor!! l just know that l'd rather do anything than working in a factory...yesterday l had a mental breakdown with a friend and he calmed me down....l got so frustrated and just felt like wasted space...but he cheered me up and helped me back into my searching for a degree mode...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MirageRally For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (06-09-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Anything medical if you can stand that kind of work.

Otherwise, just get a generic business degree. You can bluff your way into almost any job that "requires a degree" with a BS in business. You can float into IT, any kind of management, data analysis, HR, project management, and on and on.

For most jobs, experience matters more than the degree, though some companies do require a 4-year degree of some sort.

The bigger question is how do you get your foot in the door to start gaining the experience?

Think about keeping your corporate factory job. Do they have an internal job listing? That's one good way to get your foot in the door. If you already work for the company, AND you meet the qualifications of some other open position... you'll often have a better shot at it vs. someone off the street. 5 years later, NOW you have some experience in the field you want to work in, and it will be easier to find another job in that field. (maybe)
    Simplify and add lightness.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (06-09-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    You'll figure it out. It's true that it will be hard to get your foot in any new job right now, maybe keep what you have for now, and look into investments and real estate. I have a similar job pretty much, but I got into fixing up my old house, and now see myself possibly flipping/contracting and then get into that. So, I don't even like my job that much myself, but it's o.k... just got me the foot in the real estate game.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (06-09-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks guys There is a maintenance position open but am going to stay in the department l am in...the reason l haven' left my factory job is bc 1. They pay for my schooling. and 2. Everyone at my work l consider family, we all get along and really help each other...you'd think office people and factory people wouldn't get along but we all do at least where l work....l do know that all the staff in the Accounting wing are always tired and frustrated. Even talking with some of them they tell me they wished they would have chosen something else...heck in 10 years, you will probably need a Masters for basic jobs...so l understand that the job market is constantly changing and will look into all of the options you guys have given me. Thanks again guys

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Maybe look into bookkeeping courses, that might be an avenueif business and financial management stuff interests you, or taxes interest you some reason lol. Cheers

16. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (06-10-2020)