Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Please Help choosing between Mirage and Versa Note! (UPDATE: got a Mirage)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I would never buy a used car from someone that doesn't have a clear title. If she isn't happy with using the escrow company, just tell her to go trade it in at the dealership for a new car. She will be lucky to get a few thousand dollars for it then.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,542 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by newtomit View Post
    ...if we meet and I pay her loan off with her bank, I can take the car with me and have the bank mail me the title...
    Even if she's well-intended, what if she gets hit by a bus before she's able to sign the title over to you? This scenario leaves you assuming all the risk and it's completely unnecessary.

Is her loan through a bank that has physical bank branches (Chase/Bank of America/Fifth Third, etc.)? If so, she's over-thinking the process. She should be able to tell her bank that she's selling the car and needs the title sent to a local bank branch for the sale transaction.

Then you both show up at that branch...you give her the $6K, she pays off the loan (including any amount above $6K), the bank releases the lien on the title, the seller signs the title over to you, and you both walk out with zero risk.

This scenario is very common when a private individual sells a car with an outstanding loan. I'm amazed her bank has been unable to provide her with some useful guidance during the process.

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I have a concern that you are bargaining on a motor vehicle that you haven't yet visited.
    Eggman makes an excellent point. I just assumed you have seen this car in person by now.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Eggman makes an excellent point. I just assumed you have seen this car in person by now.
    I couldn't keep up with the story as it unfolded, but I remembered these points:
    I haven't test driven a Mirage yet, and this dealership is 50 miles away from me.
    Y'all really got me leaning towards the Mirage now lol. Mirage has very loyal fans! I'm going to drive that 50 miles to see the Mirage tomorrow!
    Reminds me of the time I took a long trip to buy a car only to meet disappointment.

For newtomit the first was a 2014 DE which I think got sold, then on to a 2017. Not sure how far away the 2017 is.

It's been said before, and rings true every time: Reading is Hard.

Still and all, I'm concerned about the damage to the front left corner. That hood gap looks suspicious to me, more like a sub-$5k price tag.

Buy new!
    Last edited by Eggman; 06-13-2020 at 05:03 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    I agree with Eggman at this point. You are relying too much on opinions & reviews.

I would test drive a Mirage asap. Personally, I would go test drive a new one. I went to my nearest Mitsubishi dealership to test drive a new 2018 Mirage ES manual knowing that I was most likely going to buy a 2017 Mirage ES manual from another dealership 4-hours away. I didn't feel guilty about that in the least. I already knew both dealerships OTD price prior to my visit at the local one. I was very upfront & honest after the test drive. I told them exactly what I wanted, & they showed zero interest in helping me. They would rather prey on customers who have bad credit. Thus, I used them for the test drive & bought my Mirage over the phone from another dealership.

The Mirage is not a car that "WOWS" people during a test drive. It's a small little economy car. The Mirage is more an acquired taste. It's charm has grown on me over time. Keep in mind - I drove 65 miles in my Subaru Forester (2.5L engine) to test drive a 1.2L Mirage. In my case, I owned a 1990 Ford Festiva (1.3L, 63 hp) for 14-years. Driving a small economy car wasn't totally foreign to me.

You may test drive a Mirage & decide this is not the car for you. I really think you need to cross that bridge first.

As far as affordable used cars go, I would consider Corolla, Prius c, Yaris, Fit, Civic, Mazda2, Soul, & Matrix/Vibe. If I hadn't bought a new Mirage in 2017, a used 130 hp Honda Fit would have received the most focus. The ability to buy a new Mirage for $10,000 OTD made me lose interest in used cars. I wanted a second vehicle that was affordable, reliable, and economical. I know my Mirage has been taken of.

Buying a slightly used Mirage is a good deal these days, too. Just because a car is a good deal doesn't make it the best car for you.

You need to test drive a Mirage (new or used). Find one somewhere & drive it. In post #76 I suggested you test drive the Yaris and Mirage. You can't skip that part. You're putting the cart before the horse at this point. Discover what car you really want, & then hunt for it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    After a good night sleep, I came to my senses to not pursuit that Mirage any further I think I was just frustrated that I can't find a way to make it work. I just can't understand why she agreed to pay TRED listing fee and selling fee in the first place if she's afraid to go through them for the sale. Also, no one in their right mind woud let someone else take their car while the title is still in their name because what if that person gets in an accident or something? And I wanted to work out all the detail with her before seeing the car and test driving it because she's about an hour away and I didn't want to drive out there for nothing. Anyway, I'm done with this car, unless by some miracle enlightenment, she wants to use TRED for the sale

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Even if she's well-intended, what if she gets hit by a bus before she's able to sign the title over to you? This scenario leaves you assuming all the risk and it's completely unnecessary.

Is her loan through a bank that has physical bank branches (Chase/Bank of America/Fifth Third, etc.)? If so, she's over-thinking the process. She should be able to tell her bank that she's selling the car and needs the title sent to a local bank branch for the sale transaction.

Then you both show up at that branch...you give her the $6K, she pays off the loan (including any amount above $6K), the bank releases the lien on the title, the seller signs the title over to you, and you both walk out with zero risk.

This scenario is very common when a private individual sells a car with an outstanding loan. I'm amazed her bank has been unable to provide her with some useful guidance during the process.

I actually did think about the scenario if something was to happen to her, and I thought of putting that in the written agreement something like if it was to happen, her power of attorney representative will have to complete the title transfer within 1 week or the vehicle will legally belong to me. Not sure though if that will hold any power in the court of law since I don't know much about that stuff

I also did consider that we both go to her bank together to pay it off, but it's with TD bank and they don't have branches near here. Not sure how she even ended up with them as they're more of an East Coast bank in the US.
    P.S. For you Canadian folk, do you like TD? Because of my job, I deal with them fairly frequently and I personally would not want to be a customer.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    After a good night sleep, I came to my senses to not pursuit that Mirage any further I think I was just frustrated that I can't find a way to make it work. I just can't understand why she agreed to pay TRED listing fee and selling fee in the first place if she's afraid to go through them for the sale. Also, no one in their right mind woud let someone else take their car while the title is still in their name because what if that person gets in an accident or something? And I wanted to work out all the detail with her before seeing the car and test driving it because she's about an hour away and I didn't want to drive out there for nothing. Anyway, I'm done with this car, unless by some miracle enlightenment, she wants to use TRED for the sale
    You need to test drive a Mirage.

If you don't like it, you can focus on something else. If you do like it, you can extend your search knowing it's what you want.

I would test drive a new one asap. You are in the market for a car. There's no risk in taking a test drive, & it will give you a baseline when comparing other possible cars. The 2017-20 Mirages are basically the same. If you like a new 2020, you'll be perfectly fine with a used 2017+ Mirage with some remaining warranty.

A good dealership may even help you find a good used Mirage after the test drive. I am not intimidated by car salesman. They are just doing a job. Go test drive a new Mirage & tell us what you think. You may decide you want more car. You may decide the 2013 Yaris that is half the price of a new Mirage in your area is a good deal, too.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    That Yaris price is too good to be true.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    That Yaris price is too good to be true.
    She said she didn't want to sell it for less than $7000 but after some negotiation and I pointed out cosmetic damages and crank windows, she lowered to $6750, then I said I'd get it for $6500 and she can think about it and let me know later. She contacted me a few hours later saying I seem like a nice person and that she would sell it for $6500. That's how the negotiation happened.

I liked driving it, but I think I wasn't super in love with the condition of the car. She was a nice person, but didn't seem the type who cares a lot for her car. There are lots of scratches on front and back bumpers, which she said was because of backing in and out of parking spots. A small dent on the passenger side from hitting a pole. Tire rims are all scraped up. I took a look at the engine and it looked ok but I don't know anything about it. I would obviously take it to a mechanic before buying. I know cosmetic damages are common with a used car, but I was hoping that it'd be in a better shape.

Edit: There's a nice little add-on that she did to the car. It's a Yaris L and I guess that trim is the very basic that didn't come with power locks and alarm. She paid $890 to install them.
    Last edited by newtomit; 06-13-2020 at 08:53 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    What do y'all feel about the Chevy Sonic and Spark?