Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Please Help choosing between Mirage and Versa Note! (UPDATE: got a Mirage)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Lol. Can you tell I don't know anything about cars? I'm not really a fan of the Fiesta in terms of space and look, I was just drawn to the lower mileage and 1 owner Carfax. I guess my hesitation with the Mirage is every "profesional" review about it is negative, and they all talk about the lower horsepower and noise. Of course, I am not expecting to have the same experience as a race car or a Mustang, but I'm just worried about driving hilly roads, which I do often in Los Angeles, and that the car is not gonna get swept away by a big truck on the highway lol

2. The Following User Says Thank You to newtomit For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (06-10-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by newtomit View Post
    Ok... so there's another twist to this... there was an 2013 Ford Fiesta SE with 48,000 mileage and only 1 owner with excelleent maintenance record. The price was a little high so I made an offer for $6400 (out the door) and thought they wouldn't accept but they did. Now I have another option to consider.... I test drove the Fiesta and it was ok but I was not in love. However, the mileage is lower, only 1 owner and consistent maintenance.... Did I say I'm very indecisive?
    If I was buying a used car, the cars that I would avoid the most are any Fords with a dual clutch automatic & any Nissan with a CVT. If someone gave me one of those cars for free today, I would be selling it tomorrow. I would not own a ticking bomb!

We have 2016 Ford vehicles with those automatic transmissions that we use for my driving school, & they have been horrible. We've had major issues before reaching 15,000 miles on these cars. You don't have to take my word on this -

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...sion-problems/

I wouldn't buy a Nissan with a CVT, & I haven't read anything recently that warrants changing my mind on that either.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    The Mirage gets panned so bad by the press. Mirages are loud for sure, and you can hear the chain and the clutch engage etc., I think it's fun, but I can see how the wind noise, road noise and bumps gets tiring.. and the big thing is, the Mirage is tiny.

Some people long-term would want a bigger car.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Lol. Can you tell I don't know anything about cars? I'm not really a fan of the Fiesta in terms of space and look, I was just drawn to the lower mileage and 1 owner Carfax. I guess my hesitation with the Mirage is every "profesional" review about it is negative, and they all talk about the lower horsepower and noise. Of course, I am not expecting to have the same experience as a race car or a Mustang, but I'm just worried about driving hilly roads, which I do often in Los Angeles, and that the car is not gonna get swept away by a big truck on the highway lol
    Read the kbb.com owner's reviews of the Mirage. Look up Mitsubishi Space Star (name used in Europe) reviews.

I've owned three vehicles with less horsepower than a Mirage, but you may not be happy with a 78 hp Mirage. If I felt more hp was necessary, I would buy a used 130 hp Honda Fit.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    78 hp is plenty besides you live in LA, you're never going to be going faster than 20 mph on account of the hordes of homeless camps you'll have to navigate through lol. Also be wary of all the used hypodermic needles on the roads in San Francisco, they could punch a hole thru your sidewall.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

fc321 (06-20-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Y'all really got me leaning towards the Mirage now lol. Mirage has very loyal fans! I'm going to drive that 50 miles to see the Mirage tomorrow!

This is the car listing: https://www.ssautodealer.com/invento...mirage/014561/

I know the listing doesn't say much but if anything jumps out as concerning, please let me know. It has 3 owners, 1 was a rental. The dealer is part autoshop/part dealer with good reviews. One thing though, they sent me an AutoCheck report which shows no accident or damages reported. However, when I did a Google search on the VIN, it got several results about front damage and salvage title. For example here: https://auhico.com/pub/31557100ErI_2bW5lRpKAv68uQEg

I guess I'm going to call the dealer tomorrow to inquire about that before making the drive. It just seems strange to me that something that major isn't showing on AutoCheck....

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Y'all really got me leaning towards the Mirage now lol. Mirage has very loyal fans! I'm going to drive that 50 miles to see the Mirage tomorrow!

This is the car listing: https://www.ssautodealer.com/invento...mirage/014561/

I know the listing doesn't say much but if anything jumps out as concerning, please let me know. It has 3 owners, 1 was a rental. The dealer is part autoshop/part dealer with good reviews. One thing though, they sent me an AutoCheck report which shows no accident or damages reported. However, when I did a Google search on the VIN, it got several results about front damage and salvage title. For example here: https://auhico.com/pub/31557100ErI_2bW5lRpKAv68uQEg

I guess I'm going to call the dealer tomorrow to inquire about that before making the drive. It just seems strange to me that something that major isn't showing on AutoCheck....
    Rental, 3 owners, possible salvage, & no factory warranty remaining would reduce my interest in this car.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    The posts here so far are spot on. The Mirage may not be much, but it is EXTREMELY reliable.

The CVTs in Nissans are absolute trash. I wouldn't buy one on a bet, even if it had a little warranty left.

The Ford "PowerShift" transmission in the Fiesta has such a bad reputation that people familiar with it have dubbed it the "PowerSh!t". Again, not even on a bet.

To me, the choice out of the three is obvious. Yes, Mitsubishi parts are expensive, but the Mirage never breaks anyway.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have become more unsure than before LOL. The Mirage might have been a salvage. Note and Fiesta are trash. Now I’m thinking I should go with the 2007 Prius hybrid... It has 75,000 mileage and is $7000 out the door. The year is a little older than I’d like and it’s more expensive, but I’ve been told they’re super reliable. Plus this one has really nice amenities like leather seats, backup camera and overall more premium materials. Also, dealership has 6 month warranty on the battery.
    Last edited by newtomit; 06-10-2020 at 09:59 AM.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    $4900 is too much. You talk em down to $4k and it's worth it to take a chance on the Mirage. Call an independent shop near the dealership and have them look it over for anything. It's worth the $100 or whatever they charge in LA to vet cars.