Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mitsu Dealer messed up big time. DonÂ’t be like me please

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Mitsu Dealer messed up big time. DonÂ’t be like me please

As some of you might know or read that I have been planning to do my own oil change once i reach 5,000 miles and it finally did. Now it has 8500 miles on odometer. It will be the 2nd oil change done since purchase.

As a result, I plan to do the job myself at the shop where i could rent a lift at the auto shop this weekend and I am ready and excited to do so.

Meanwhile this evening, I wanted to open the hood and see the engine bay and inspect the coolant (still shows low. Will add later) and the engine oil. The G4 has been parked for few days so why not. Gotta be diligent right?.

So i opened and stalled the hood, took out the dipstick, just to see how dirty the engine oil and noticed the color fluid being dark (as expected). However, i noticed the oil still surpass the F line. i thought it was odd.

The oil exceeding the F was on my mind for hours and I thought I should investigate. Since the 1st oil change was done at the dealer, I figured to look into the receipt as a clue to possible overfill.

I looked for it. Found it. Read it. And W-O-W!! Just as i suspected: 4 QUARTS!

And the unfortunate part is that i recently found this out after driving 5,000 miles for 8 months!

Man I feel so stupid for not catching the error. Please donÂ’t be like me assuming the auto tech at the Mitsu dealer are fully competent. i KNOW THEY SHOULD BE but that is not always the case, hence this circumstance.

Last edited by defensivetackle88; 04-11-2023 at 04:38 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Name:  59D875C0-885C-4ECB-90D2-81EFAE5B3898.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  93.4 KB

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Name:  7BD8FCA0-C90B-402F-90BE-B615FCA3F8F6.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  86.5 KB

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Not sure if the dealer could even get it corrected or if it even worth fighting this issue with them for preventive defect/problem in the future. Yeah i know, 10 year/100,000 power terrain warranty always follow the original owner (me) but idk how i can even make a case like this overflown oil down the road

I feel like a complete bonehead.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by defensivetackle88 View Post
    Not sure if the dealer could even get it corrected or if it even worth fighting this issue with them for preventive defect/problem in the future. Yeah i know, 10 year/100,000 power terrain warranty always follow the original owner (me) but idk how i can even make a case like this overflown oil down the road

I feel like a complete bonehead.
    Have you been following this thread the past week or so?

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...Overfilled-oil

If so, I don't think your oil level is nearly as bad. I would suggest measuring the amount of oil you take out like he did, & take a pic of the measured amount. Make sure to include any oil that comes out of the oil filter, too.

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    This is why nobody works on my vehicles except me.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny Mullet For This Useful Post:

Fummins (04-11-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Before you get too worked up, remember that the distance between the holes on your dipstick represents 1 pint...

Name:  dipstick.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  39.8 KB

It looks like maybe they overfilled your oil by 1/2 of a pint (about 1 cup...or 1/4 of a quart). I'm not sure I'd lose any sleep over that. Half the time I change my oil, my final oil level is slightly above that top hole.

One other thing... Your car will take roughly 3.5 quarts of oil during an oil change. A dealer probably isn't going to charge you for 3.5 quarts of oil. They'll charge you for 4...which is what's on your work order. That doesn't mean all 4 went in your crankcase. Just like when you get a coolant change at the dealer. I bet they charge a customer for a gallon of coolant...even though they only put in about 1/2 a gallon and top off the rest with water.
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 04-11-2023 at 03:28 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Ares (04-11-2023),Fummins (04-11-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Half the time I change my oil, my final oil level is slightly above that top hole.
    For what it's worth, my car got to over 120k miles with me ALWAYS overfilling the oil. Literally. Except the last-ever oil change I did to it before giving her away; that time, I finally made it to, what seems to be, exactly at the top hole of the dipstick.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Ares For This Useful Post:

Fummins (04-11-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    When I bought my Mirage the dealership gave me one free oil change and Mitsubishi gave me another. The first free oil change took almost an hour and a half while the second one saw the tech spill oil all over the valve cover and decide he didn't give a sh!t. This dealership wanted $90 to do an oil change...on a MIRAGE.

Every other oil change was done by me in about 20 minutes and typically for about $20-25.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Fummins (04-11-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    I only use dealerships for warranty & recall work. If it's a good vehicle, it will never see a dealership during my years of ownership.

For whatever items anyone doesn't feel comfortable doing, I would seek out a good local mechanic & give them the business. A good local mechanic will suggest when something may need to be done at a dealership, too. Especially when it comes to electronics. I realize what I am suggesting may be easier to find in smaller towns.

White Bear offered me a free first oil change, but I didn't think an 8 hour round trip was worth it!

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

CROSSBOLT (04-16-2023),Fummins (04-11-2023)