Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Please Help choosing between Mirage and Versa Note! (UPDATE: got a Mirage)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by newtomit View Post
    What do y'all feel about the Chevy Sonic and Spark?
    Not a Mitsubishi product, but better than Chevy's old Aveo. I'm not sure if they are still Daewoo's or not. The Sonic actually is a good looking car. Imo a better-sized subcompact than my Mirage. But I do like the looks of my Mirage overall.

The Spark... not my thing. Not as sporty looking as a Mirage hatch. Looks "ok" in black, but overall I just don't like the looks. Some of the colours I see on the road (when I do see a Spark rarely) usually a weird colour like cream white that looks yellowy, or bright lime green.

Edit: my old friend from school I still talk to has a Sonic, she has a newer one that replaced a newer Focus. The focus was just problem after problem. I don't hear car complaints now lol so I think they are ok. Manual is longer lasting, like Steve's manual Mirage rolled over 300 000 miles the other day. Hers is auto, she won't learn stick and I have tried..

Last edited by dspace9; 06-13-2020 at 09:56 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by newtomit View Post
    What do y'all feel about the Chevy Sonic and Spark?
    My best friends have a Sonic. I think it has done better than some GM small cars. They are GM loyal customers. Personally, I am not a big fan of GM. Fummins is not always on here on the weekends, but he has expressed all sorts of CVT issues with a Chevy Spark. I had the impression his company went to a fleet of Mirages after that bad experience. You should probably visit a Chevy Spark & Sonic forum to get the answer to your questions.

Given what you have shared, I sense you prefer a 4-door hatchback. This car may be slightly more than you wanted to pay, but it looks in an excellent shape, mileage is good for the age of the car, it is labeled a 5-speed manual, but all the pics show it's an automatic. They may be willing to deal on the car?

I would take a Matrix/Vibe over a Sonic any day. I know several people who have owned Pontiac Vibes for a long time, & I don't sense them selling them any time soon. They are super dependable Toyota built vehicles. I would test drive the car below. You may decide you don't want anything smaller like a Sonic, Spark, or Mirage afterwards.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...6885/overview/

We had a 14 spark at work. 2-3 cvts replaced under warranty them they sold it immediately after the last one. We have a bunch of 12-13 Sonics. I like the seats and power but otherwise I’m not a fan. They don’t even have a transmission dipstick or a Serviceable trans filter! Every one has oil and coolant leaks. Every one needs a $600 intake manifold cause the rod breaks off the side of the tuning valve. Gotta buy entire intake. Way more things to go wrong mechanically. 2 cars don’t have working odometers. They have timing belts. One broke a few weeks ago, bent 8 valves. I’m sure changing headlight bulbs is even a pita. Coolant tanks crack and leak, rad and coolant hoses dry out crack or go soft And fall apart.
    Drivers like them I hate them as there’s always something wrong with them, every one has the engine light on. Mind you when I started working on them they were all poorly maintained and “well loved”
    Last edited by Fummins; 06-13-2020 at 11:25 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Mark (06-14-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm not a big fan of the Spark either, but I do think Sonic is a very good looking car. Mpg isn't the best but I wouldn't mind getting one. I don't know much about reliablity of it though. Look wise in the same category, my first choice would be the Fiat, but I hear Fiat has quite a lot of issues...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to newtomit For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (06-14-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Yea eh, I've heard Fiat' 500s have reliability issues. Not sure about any FCA car honestly. Looks wise, spot-on. There was a 500 parked across the street from me at my old apartment. The first of the new 500s, and in red no less. Cool car. Not as practical as my Mirage I have now.
    I wanna get a used cabrio 500, they are pretty cheap. Not seen winter that way.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    If you got 6 grand maybe put that down on a brand new Mirage and really cheap car payments. Pay it off in 3 years easy.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    If you got 6 grand maybe put that down on a brand new Mirage and really cheap car payments. Pay it off in 3 years easy.
    I second this. Then nobody has trashed the thing and you get a 10 year 100,000 mile powertrain warranty.

Also with that Yaris, power locks were standard on the 2012+ hatchback. I've owned several of those cars and they're some of the best cars ever made... EVER. The only reason I bought a new Mirage in the first place was because Toyota discontinued the Yaris hatch and that made me angry. The Mazda2 reskinned replacement "Yaris" is a pile of hot garbage. If that Yaris fits your budget and checks out mechanically, you won't have to do anything to it for a long time besides fluid changes.
    -Karl B. 2015 Mirage DE CVT Utility Machine (and lots of other cars)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I am surprised this thread has made it to 14 pages.
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex1a1f View Post
    I am surprised this thread has made it to 14 pages.
    No end in sight either!

On to page 15.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Fummins (06-14-2020)

Me thinks the op figure out what they want. Mirage=cheap, easy low cost ownership, anything else would be a gamble. And would Likely end up With him/her/it coming back saying they made a mistake. I’ve made lots, pick something and go with it. Anything that’s been well maintained and taken care of should last a while. Everything is gonna have problems at some point.

If you don’t want to take a chance buying someone else’s beaten rented mule or dealing with a car that has a lien on it, buy new. You’d get full warranty, just read the fine print and get an out the door all in price upfront. Don’t let them tack on extra paint protection and crap you don’t want or need.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)