Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question About Checking Oil

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Thanks everyone, he ended up refilling it to the top mark while warm, which from what he says just reaches the low mark when cold. It seems strange to me but he's driving the car around and there don't seem to be any issues - no oil light, etc. The Car Talk guys did a blog post saying that some manufacturers have started to calibrate the stick to measure when the engine is warm .. that's the only reason I can think for this discrepancy. No burning oil smell or visible leaks under so.. I agree that I would rather fill while cold but he also doesn't want to overfill.

My mom -used- to drive a leftover Chevy Vega in the 80's - she just kept a case of oil in the back and added a little bit every time she stopped for an errand..

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jestevens For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (06-12-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jestevens View Post
    Thanks everyone, he ended up refilling it to the top mark while warm, which from what he says just reaches the low mark when cold. It seems strange to me but he's driving the car around and there don't seem to be any issues - no oil light, etc. The Car Talk guys did a blog post saying that some manufacturers have started to calibrate the stick to measure when the engine is warm .. that's the only reason I can think for this discrepancy. No burning oil smell or visible leaks under so.. I agree that I would rather fill while cold but he also doesn't want to overfill.

My mom -used- to drive a leftover Chevy Vega in the 80's - she just kept a case of oil in the back and added a little bit every time she stopped for an errand..
    I drove around with oil in my '85 Rabbit... that was just the reality. The VW would overheat as well in the hot weather. Happy to hear things worked out cheers!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Pffth. My first car was a 1973 Ford Maverick, I think I was the third teenager to own it. That car burned a quart of oil every 200 miles when I bought it... and before I had the engine rebuilt, it was closer to a quart every 50! I had to put oil in it more often than gas! I didn't just keep oil in the car, I kept a quart under the hood next to the battery, along with an oil spout wrapped in a rag!

For those of you who are under 45 years old, oil used to come in cans, not bottles. We had these fancy oil spouts that would jam into the top of the can to open it and neatly pour it.

Simplify and add lightness.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (06-12-2020),Fummins (06-12-2020),Top_Fuel (06-12-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    ...We had these fancy oil spouts...
    I couldn't afford an oil spout. I just jammed a screwdriver into the top of the can a couple of times.

Name:  oil can.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  41.4 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Eggman (06-12-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Times have changed..

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    I couldn't afford an oil spout. I just jammed a screwdriver into the top of the can a couple of times.

Name:  oil can.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  41.4 KB
    I was dumping in a quart of oil twice a day, I had to be more efficient than that! But, before I went that route... screwdrivers... pocket knives... whatever was available! I'm pretty sure one of the scars on my finger came from jabbing an oil can with a knife.

Simplify and add lightness.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (06-13-2020)